Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
what sort of questions would you ask of a 'friend' if they wanted to buy the N900?
If you have to ask, then no, it's not for you. Being right for the n900 is like being in love. No one can tell you you're right for the n900, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones.

So says the Oracle.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Isn't there a place online where you can "check out" a Nokia phone for a week or two to try it out first?

- mp

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by Empower996 View Post
Isn't there a place online where you can "check out" a Nokia phone for a week or two to try it out first?

- mp
I think some flagship stores allow you to play around with them a little bit before buying/not buying, but definitely not lend.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

If you have to ask, then no, it's not for you. Being right for the n900 is like being in love. No one can tell you you're right for the n900, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones.

So says the Oracle.
hhhmmm what more can one say

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I think it depends on if you really need the few exclusive applications that the n900 offers:

examples such as xournal and the web browser

Or if you are a coder

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-23 at 12:21.

Originally Posted by CodeNote View Post
hhhmmm what more can one say
too obscure of a Matrix quote? Sorry, it was late

In some sense I really wasn't joking. The n900 is a niche device. Although it should be supported for a while going forward, its also in a weird position in the device chain (the end of the Maemo line, and the beginning of the Meego line) so you're less likely to see it as a viable device for longer then a year.

So yeah, if you need it, you should know why. If you have to ask "is this right for me?" in some sense you've already got your answer.

Instead of asking why you should buy one, ask yourself what you want to do. Then select the device that does what you want. For some people the best device for what they want to do *is* the n900. Even without the 1.2 update

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
so you're less likely to see it as a viable device for longer then a year.
Instead of asking why you should buy one, ask yourself what you want to do.
That's something I'm not quite sure I 'get'.... the whole viable device view. Will there be something that happens to make the N900 not longer viable as a working device? The way I see it, as long as GSM and 3G networks exist, the device should be able to make calls, right? As well, if you can make it work for you as of now, what would stop it from working? Unless you have a specific need that the N900 won't be able to address... dunno.

ie - my cheap little phone makes calls when I need it. my old pda still plays mp3s and can hop on open wifi networks, BUT it can't get on many websites since it runs WM 2003 =) So it's almost met a total end-of-use for me.

As for my needs, and finding a device that meets those needs... that's always the fun part. My main needs, web access, e-book reader, mp3 player, camera-lite, email, calendar, contacts, edit/read 'office' docs, IM, and once I get it setup, access to a home file server (not settled on the OS yet).

IMHO it's just perfect. And it should also fit your needs stated above.
But you really gotta test it. Probably but it at amazon and send it back if you don't like it (Can't imagine that) =)

Last edited by NokiaRocks; 2010-05-23 at 16:16.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
I think some flagship stores allow you to play around with them a little bit before buying/not buying, but definitely not lend.
I found the place: http://www.womworld.com/nokia/trial/

- mp

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Interesting, I'll try to look into that website, getting my hands on the N900 would be nice, but for now I'll just keep reading and see what folks on here are doing.