I am just so upset that you buy a device that has Linux on it and get that device to find out it is just like Windows. Cant customize it unless you hack it and are limited on what is ported to the device. I mean I use linux and you can customize it all. You can choose all different types of win managers e.g. kde, gnome, fluxbox, etc.... I know you can get KDE on device but have not been successful. I guess I was expecting a fully customizable device and have not seen that.

Am I way out in left field? Should I research more?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
I think what you wanted was a linux umpc. ITT's are not that, sadly. And as far as not being able to customize it without hacking it? Huh? I feel like I'm missing something. How come customizing linux is customizing but customizing an ITT is hacking?

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Reading your post history it seems like you are pretty unhappy with your purchase. Read mine and you will see quite the opposite.
I had never used linux really before the IT and didn't understand it, now I feel really quite empowered as to my understanding of how the OS works all from learning with this tablet. Coming from someone who claims to know Linux I am surprised that you didn't know before purchasing that this was an ARM based device not x86. Even I knew that this wasn't a straightforward linux device and that it had more of a consumer focus.

So to answer your question I feel far from ripped off with this device. Maybe you should purchase an intel based UMPC and install a regular flavor of window manager?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I have run openbox, WindowMaker, KDE, Afterstep, fluxbox (window managers) on the IT. Is it just push a buton and done, NO you have to compile it yourself, but you can install many applications. You can say that is hacking, but its actually just installing. For those linux users prior to RPM's and DEB's this should be very familiar process..

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Reading your post history it seems like you are pretty unhappy with your purchase. Read mine and you will see quite the opposite.
I had never used linux really before the IT and didn't understand it, now I feel really quite empowered as to my understanding of how the OS works all from learning with this tablet. Coming from someone who claims to know Linux I am surprised that you didn't know before purchasing that this was an ARM based device not x86. Even I knew that this wasn't a straightforward linux device and that it had more of a consumer focus.

So to answer your question I feel far from ripped off with this device. Maybe you should purchase an intel based UMPC and install a regular flavor of window manager?
I agree that my post history does not show I do not like the device but I do. Also I will admit that I did not see that it was arm based. I was more excited that it was a linux type OS.

Maybe I should have posted this thought. Should have kept it to myself.

Originally Posted by jrock2004 View Post
I agree that my post history does not show I do not like the device but I do. Also I will admit that I did not see that it was arm based. I was more excited that it was a linux type OS.

Maybe I should have posted this thought. Should have kept it to myself.
Nah, it's cool to voice your opinion. In the end, this type of device is not for everyone, and simply may not be what you're looking for. You may be out a few hundred bucks right now, but these things happen in life.

If you really find it annoying, I'm pretty sure you can sell it and try to find something that better suits your needs and desires.

well after viewing your post there is nothing really wrong with the device. I mean I already knew that but I thought there would be a little more porting going on. I will just wait and use it for my mp3 and stuff. Thanks again

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There are a LOT of "cowboy" projects for the tablets-- the shortage is in large scale efforts (there are a few, and they will hopefully grow).

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
You gotta admit though. An x86 ITT would be hot.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
You gotta admit though. An x86 ITT would be hot.
You'll be able to find out how toasty one is in about 9 months... mid-2008 is the current estimate.