Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As in "damn this thing rocks!!" hot, or "holy cow I need a bigger tablet CPU fan" hot?

I've been very happy with mine. I have a ThinkOutside bluetooth keyboard, a spare battery pack, and a bluetooth phone. I've used the N800 as my only computer for the past two months, and it's performed wonderfully. I download and watch videos, read and respond to e-mail, surf, and IM. At some point, I'll experiment with on-device software development and compiling. I might even port TeX at some point, in order to do document creation.

A faster processor /might/ be nice, as would speedier screen updates. The only thing that doesn't work for me is watching videos on Revver.com, because they end up too stuttery. Well, that and USB Host Mode, which works only if you wave a dead chicken over it and say the proper incantation. Other than that, it works wonderfully.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
You'll be able to find out how toasty one is in about 9 months... mid-2008 is the current estimate.
Hmmm, for real... That would be a great upgrade, I might even buy another if we can get off the ARM....

Maybe when ubuntu mobile comes out we will have more control over our tablets.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As in "damn this thing rocks!!" hot, or "holy cow I need a bigger tablet CPU fan" hot?
More like "Blood 'n guts I need a new jacket, this one doesn't have enough pockets to stick my spare batteries in !" :-)

I don't think Intel is quite there yet with its mobile CPUs - apart from the ARM line, of course.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Hmmm, for real... That would be a great upgrade, I might even buy another if we can get off the ARM....
... but that might cost you a LEG :-)
(and halve your battery life too)

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Is it just push a buton and done, NO you have to compile it yourself, but you can install many applications. You can say that is hacking, but its actually just installing. For those linux users prior to RPM's and DEB's this should be very familiar process..
No doubt...but so was dependency hell a very familiar friend

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
More like "Blood 'n guts I need a new jacket, this one doesn't have enough pockets to stick my spare batteries in !" :-)

I don't think Intel is quite there yet with its mobile CPUs - apart from the ARM line, of course.
What ARM line - Intel offloaded that over a year ago! They must have seen Marvel coming. The only low power devices coming from Intel in future will be x86 based... sometime next year for the first generation. Whether they will compete with ARM won't be known until they appear, but the new CPUs will be just the first iteration of many and Intel is now gunning for ARMs business.

ARM should get a grip and start disclosing some of their current NDA secrets such as Jazelle, and TI should provide details about their NDA coprocessors otherwise they'll soon discover the world has taken their business over to Intel. Nokia will look short of features in future because of all this NDA bullcrap which is preventing the development and delivery of features that will be immediately available on x86 (in most cases requiring just a recompilation...).

Intel will most likely have this business sewn up in a couple of years from now, yet all the while Nokia will continue to shoot itself in the foot citing internal bureaucracy as the reason for it's abject failure to deliver what the customers wanted.

Oops.. sorry for the rant... I should really stop reading Bugzilla and noticing yet again that worthwhile input from Nokia is conspicuous by it's absence.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
I think what you wanted was a linux umpc. ITT's are not that...
Exactly ^

... it doesn't have the horsepower to be a UMPC.

The tablets do have the HP and features though, to do quite a few things better than any other handheld device.

... so to you jrock2004; some part of the value of a thing is your ability to easily make it seem like your own?

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-08-11 at 01:08.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
Maybe when ubuntu mobile comes out we will have more control over our tablets.
You arn't referring to the ITT's with 'our tablets' are you? Because Unbuntu Mobile won't be released for ARM.