Active Topics

I just recently got my N770 and have started playing around in it. I have it where it will boot from mmc. I tried to have it duel boot with os 2006 and os 2007he, but when I flashed os 2007he, I seem to have lost the image of os 2006 on my mmc. What do I need to do? I have certain settings on os 2006 that I don't want to loose. I do have a backup on another mmc. Would it keep seetings such as wifi connection setups? Any help would be great. Please note that I am a newbie to this

It's because flashing OS2007 complete re-writes everything, inc the boot menu, kernel etc. Dont worry you're OS2006 will still be on the MMC.

Basically you need to re-do the Bootmenu flash again (and the kernel if you have the faster write one)

Download: http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz

sudo gainroot
cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/
tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz
cd initfs_flasher
mv bootmenu.conf.n770.example bootmenu.conf

#

Close all applications, and disconnect from internet. Then type:

./initfs_flash

This will ask you several questions, here is what I recommend (type what's in bold):

backup? no
remove extra stuff? yes
found, do you want to add it to initfs? yes
ready for flashing this image? yes
Press enter to reboot device
Theres also "chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2" near the bottom of the guide.

I did the exact same thing. All I did to recover was to reinstall Fanoush's boot menu (http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/):

Modified initfs with onscreen boot menu
N770 - IT2006 version 1.2006.26-8, 2.2006.39-14, 3.2006.49-2
N800 - IT2007 version 2.2006.51-6, 3.2007.10-7, 4.2007.26-8

This is modification of initfs partition with boot menu added. It allows you to select boot device via tablet keys on each boot. It also removes testserver (used for factory testing) and other unneeded leftovers to gain free space in initfs partition.

To rebuild (and reflash) initfs jffs2 image directly on your tablet, get initfs flashing script here initfs_flasher.tgz (based on MTD utils). Extract tgz archive on your tablet (tar zxvf initfs_flasher.tgz), execute initfs_flash (cd initfs_flasher ; ./initfs_flash) in shell (osso-xterm or via ssh) and follow instructions. Use ssh only if your connection is stable. If it drops while flashing, do not reboot the device but reconnect and retry again with previously prepared initfs image as a parameter (./initfs_flash initfs.bootmenu.jffs2) or better use osso-xterm next time.

Thanks guys. I had the boot menu working in os 2006 and it still works in os 2007he..at least it still comes up at start up. I'm thinking that the ext2 partion is my problem. It shows it in the boot menu. but in x-term it can not find it. It says it's not found. Is there a way to redo the partioning over?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by vdstreet View Post
Thanks guys. I had the boot menu working in os 2006 and it still works in os 2007he..at least it still comes up at start up. I'm thinking that the ext2 partion is my problem. It shows it in the boot menu. but in x-term it can not find it. It says it's not found. Is there a way to redo the partioning over?
Bootmenu will always show the ext2 partition - it doesn't check whether it exists or not. Bootmenu will list the ext2 partition even when you remove the memory card!

Just follow the various partitioning instructions available in this forum or in the Wiki to partition your flash memory.

I've tried thia again and have noticed that everytime, I do not get the question found, do you want to add it to initfs? yes"". What do I need to do?

By jove...I think I've got it! It wasn't seeing the location of the bootmenu.conf...I just had to slowly point it in the right direction! Thanks guys!