Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Choosing not to support the n900 would be very stupid especially hen it is very easy. The developer is trying to make money so if the app is available to more devices then it is more profitable. The developer doesn't make money from device sales but from app sales. If the developer willfully chooses to "obsolete" the n900 then that's just ******ed
Thank you for reassuring me.

Harsh truth.
N900 will survive if the community continue to support.
But if many have switch to MeeGo devices, prepare for poor support in N900.

Forget about Nokia, they never really care about N900, never pays proper attention. It survives because there're so many community provided apps, games, and so on. They help to fix and provides the features lacking in the N900, and even up till today, Nokia still can provide some of the BASIC ones; After so long, they only able to provide the USSD (wow!) feature, while there's so many BASIC features already provided by the Community since long ago; After so long, they only able to implement and provide ONE and ONLY ONE, Facebook Chat IM into the Contacts Account. OH WOW!

Sincerely and honestly, if there is no community support, N900 is long dead. Their OVI store for N900 is still pretty much a dead place. Such a great device but ruined by poor support from Nokia, lack of attention. Either they should've delay MeeGo or just don't launch the N900 in the first place, and directly concentrate on MeeGo. Now they have to maintain another device which they're trying to wash their hands off. You see vast development of MeeGo, but a simple update of N900 takes ages.

Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
Harsh truth.
N900 will survive if the community continue to support.
But if many have switch to MeeGo devices, prepare for poor support in N900.

Forget about Nokia, they never really care about N900, never pays proper attention. It survives because there're so many community provided apps, games, and so on. They help to fix and provides the features lacking in the N900, and even up till today, Nokia still can provide some of the BASIC ones; After so long, they only able to provide the USSD (wow!) feature, while there's so many BASIC features already provided by the Community since long ago; After so long, they only able to implement and provide ONE and ONLY ONE, Facebook Chat IM into the Contacts Account. OH WOW!

Sincerely and honestly, if there is no community support, N900 is long dead. Their OVI store for N900 is still pretty much a dead place. Such a great device but ruined by poor support from Nokia, lack of attention. Either they should've delay MeeGo or just don't launch the N900 in the first place, and directly concentrate on MeeGo. Now they have to maintain another device which they're trying to wash their hands off. You see vast development of MeeGo, but a simple update of N900 takes ages.
I believe the community will survive a good amount of time even if it is unofficial community on another website but yes Nokia is very lame however I think will pick up an n900 from Amazon. Also the Nokia n900 will live on unofficially the way the Amiga and Amiga mostly dead for so many years still places to get help and software and still community web site I guess. I find it weird that Nokia developed Meego when they already Maemo which is better in my opinion because more established Nokia could just improve what they already have instead of developing something that they don't need to develop the fact is Nokia makes phones and one laptop they don't make tvs or gps'. They only to support 800x480 and 640x360 screens and arm processors ok that is the fact. I guess owning a n900 is like owning Amiga excellent hardware and software truly ahead of the game but bad company and management kills it sad.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-05-27 at 06:12.

Before you buy a n900. NOTE the following downsides:

1. Nokia has extremely poor record of device support across its multiple devices. After a few updates, the device is usually forgotten (see previous "n" series)
2. No Meego for n900. Only an open community port will (if) be available sometime in the "future". (see point 3)
3. Open Community OS development has a poor track record on Nokia devices. See attempts on previous devices in the "n" line.
4. NO mobile support from major app vendors. There is no google maps, there is no adobe flash etc. If you want these apps, forget the n900, it will NEVER get it (even the Opera release was an unofficial hobby project by the devs who make no promises and cannot officially promise future versions and fixes).

If you are a technically oriented person who likes to tinker and write your own stuff in linux, love to install unofficial apps and experiment (many of which can brick your device) and is happy with the state of the n900 NOW as of PR1.2, then the n900 is for you. No other phone is better for this user.

If you are NOT a linux geek and rely on official support and are just attracted to the N900 for its browser/web experience/multitasking, then do NOT get the n900 as the n900 web experience is going ot be inferior to other devices soon (no flash 10.1, n900 is starting to lose access to sites that block lower versions of flash). Other devices are catching up and will surpass the n900 for the web experience soon.

Lets be clear - DO NOT buy the n900 with what you HOPE it MIGHT become, only buy the n900 for what it is NOW. Assume for all intends and purposes you will get NO future support in terms of bug fixes etc.

If you are OK with that then buy the n900 for sure.

Otherwise stick to Droid phones etc which cater to a normal user base and provide proper support.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Before you buy a n900. NOTE the following downsides:

1. Nokia has extremely poor record of device support across its multiple devices. After a few updates, the device is usually forgotten (see previous "n" series)
2. No Meego for n900. Only an open community port will (if) be available sometime in the "future". (see point 3)
3. Open Community OS development has a poor track record on Nokia devices. See attempts on previous devices in the "n" line.
4. NO mobile support from major app vendors. There is no google maps, there is no adobe flash etc. If you want these apps, forget the n900, it will NEVER get it (even the Opera release was an unofficial hobby project by the devs who make no promises and cannot officially promise future versions and fixes).

If you are a technically oriented person who likes to tinker and write your own stuff in linux, love to install unofficial apps and experiment (many of which can brick your device) and is happy with the state of the n900 NOW as of PR1.2, then the n900 is for you. No other phone is better for this user.

If you are NOT a linux geek and rely on official support and are just attracted to the N900 for its browser/web experience/multitasking, then do NOT get the n900 as the n900 web experience is going ot be inferior to other devices soon (no flash 10.1, n900 is starting to lose access to sites that block lower versions of flash). Other devices are catching up and will surpass the n900 for the web experience soon.

Lets be clear - DO NOT buy the n900 with what you HOPE it MIGHT become, only buy the n900 for what it is NOW. Assume for all intends and purposes you will get NO future support in terms of bug fixes etc.

If you are OK with that then buy the n900 for sure.

Otherwise stick to Droid phones etc which cater to a normal user base and provide proper support.
Well I don't I would call myself a linux geek but the n900 will be what I'm looking for. But there are many linux app just not found on other phone like Abiword, Gnumeric, and Transmission etc. I also love to tinker. Nokia n900 users insulted anything from Microsoft but now know what it is like to own Windows Mobile device the company always telling you bulsh** like your device can't be upgraded or you have to go through complex installation process that isn't necessarily legal from weird Windows Mobile websites. Nokia not being very green.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-05-27 at 06:22.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Well I don't I would call myself a linux geek but the n900 will be what I'm looking for. But there are many linux app just not found on other phone like Abiword, Gnumeric, and Transmission etc. I also love to tinker. Nokia n900 users insulted anything from Microsoft but now know what it is like to own Windows Mobile device the company always telling you bulsh** like your device can't be upgraded or you have to go through complex installation process that isn't necessarily legal from weird Windows Mobile websites. Nokia not being very green.
As long as you go into this with your eyes open then get the n900. Sounds like you are happy with it.

With the Debian thing (sorry I forgot the app name still in extras dev) you can run most debian stuff (even open office).

MS is on the other end of the spectrum to the n900 really.

Easy Debian

Easy Debian
Super slow open office and Gimp for the win. Also I heard Wine was ported to the Nokia n900.

I would love to see compiz in Maemo wobbly windows yay.

Easy Debian
I've heard of android running LXDE as well.

Seriously - I had a sony erricson phone once and I hated it. But symbian is globally the #1 most popular phone OS, so it has good support. I still use my N95 running symbian.

The REAL decision is not which phone - its which OS. Symbian is established, but closed-source. Android is more open and is the 'new thing'. Maemo will die a quick death.