Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
i have sent the email back with the following rant:

Hi Kristel.....my main concern is flash 10.1 support......as you will be
aware nokia showcased this on the n900 last year in august. We are all still
waiting for this highly and critical upgrade. As you may or may not be aware
flash 9.4 is degrading and most sites are now switching to flash 10.1
This has resulted in the internet experience (that the nokia promises to
deliver) becoming non existent for most users.

So my question yet again is when will flash 10.1 be coming to the n900

i did ask this in my last email and you did not address this at all.

I must also point out that nokia emailed me in febuary of this year
informing me that flash 10.1 was still in beta.

Is that statement still true and if so is there any date on a release or
will there be a beta version available thru nokia

The maemo forums are full of messages and outrage about the lack of flash

do nokia ever read the maemo forums?

i would also like to know when a full working pc suite and or nokia ovi
suite will be available for the n900 also.

regards,

Neo.

But that's because Nokia doesn't know. Adobe hasn't released the porting kit to anyone except Android and we all know why

Another tease was vmware running on the N8X0.

Apparently their parents never taught them to share

We need to bombard Adobe with these emails asking them WHEN they are releasing this porting kit. They claim they make available but when will they

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Err.. Looks like Adobe put the ball in Nokia's court with these replies in their forums.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632853
Adobe provides a porting kit and Linux-based reference implementation to Open Screen Project partners to allow them to port Flash Player 10.1 to other platforms.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/643017
10.1 has numerous performance improvements over 10.0. I don't have any details about the graphics acceleration on Maemo specifically, but we are working closely with platform vendors to hook into whatever hardware acceleration is available.
Hi,

We are working with Nokia to bring Flash Player 10.1 to their devices. We cannot comment on the availability of when or which one of their devices will support Flash Player. It’s best to ask Nokia about their device and support roadmap.

Thanks.
Regarding Flash 10 on the N900 (or any other device), the agreements we have with our partners severely restrict what we can say about products in development. If we do say anything it is with their permission and cooperation, and they control how much we disclose.

At this time there is nothing we can say about the N900, you might have better success asking Nokia instead.
Sorry, if Nokia doesn't want to address these questions then Adobe can't either. It really is up to them to comment on future product releases, not us.
Can we get our answer now, Nokia.. Pretty please?

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to un-named_user For This Useful Post:
But has adobe released the porting kit?
Sure, we know they release it but have they?
I'm sure we don't need Nokia to answer that because Adobe did the releasing.

If they have released it, then we can ask Nokia if it will be ported. I think Adobe is full of schit

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Wisconsin
My 2 cents...Had an Nokia 770 Flash couldn't be update so I bought an N810 .. then after a while Flash was out of date..So I bought the N900 and the first thing I did was go the a flash site and was disappointed that the Flash version was out of date right out of the box.. So with that said, having previous experience with hoping that we would get an updated version of Adobe Flash, I have resigned myself that it's not coming and if it does it will be out of date within a short time and Nokia will not provide an updated version. With that said still think the N900 is great.

N900 is about to be launched in India in a week or two and will not be discontinued at least for an year. Also, N900 is primarily meant for Internet browsing and most web sites are switching to flash 10, so does that increase our chances of getting flash 10 support?

Also, Meego is a new os and is backed up also by Intel. So if Meego gets flash 10, N900 users who have Meego installed can also enjoy Flash 10 provided the fact that Meego 1.0 has already been launched which has all the drivers(including graphics) for N900. Meego 1.1 will also have a UX and is going to be launched in June.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
But has adobe released the porting kit?
Sure, we know they release it but have they?
I'm sure we don't need Nokia to answer that because Adobe did the releasing.

If they have released it, then we can ask Nokia if it will be ported. I think Adobe is full of schit
As evil or full of schit Adobe maybe. Nokia isn't any better come to think of it.

I know its off topic, but look what happened with the whole N7x0, N8x0 upgrade fiasco. I never even owned one.. but still felt really bad for the poor souls after having read up about it.

Look at what is happening with the Meego-Harmattan/Meego upgrade path. A long long silence and then among the PR1.2 press release a little snippet of the news of no official update to the next OS on the N900. Of course they knew all along and that is why its an underhanded move on Nokia's part.

Suddenly a flood of, "hey lets make a community supported version come up". For what, damage control? Can't really be all altruism now, can it? Yes, I applaud the community effort massively(and appreciate Nokia's help too in this regard), but I still feel burned

Am I surprised considering how Nokia has for so long handled the issue of upgrades on legacy devices? NO!! And that's why it hurts more.

IMHO unless they have a UI so heavily reliant on multitouch, like lets say like the new leap feature on the HTC Android phones. I see no reason to drop the official upgrade path. Most other multitouch requirements can be taken care of +/- sliders in applications. And multitouch keyboards are less of a requirement for the N900 users considering we have a HW keyboard.

Look past 4.00 on this video to see the leap feature in HTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDd8__9Nvug

The N8x0 was left out for not having an OMAP3 Soc. The N900 for what? A resistive touch screen!!!

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that this all about user experience. Polishing software is a lot of work. Polishing each application for resistive screen (as good as it is) is not trivial considering that we are making the UI for our Nokia product on MeeGo for capacitive screens as we have said already in Maemo Summit 2009.
I would think that the OS is supposed to handle the nuances in hardware, not the applications themselves.

Qgil eloquently, described the problem at hand some time back.
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This argument combined with the argument of the 'designed obsolescence' also pops up regularly.

It is true that 'Nokia sells hardware' but this is just part of the story. Nokia develops a consumer offering based on devices, software and services. Harware is very important in this strategy and so are the software platforms, the application developer ecosystem and the Ovi services. As opposed to a specific device, software and services can be continuous and evolutionary. They can support very well the very important job of customer retention.

If the owners of a Nokia XXX are happy with this offering, one day they will move to Nokia XXY, or perhaps Nokia YYY. They will recommend Nokia to their relatives and friends, etc.

If the owner of a Nokia XXX is unhappy because one or more of the pieces described above doesn't work, they will start their walk away to other competitors.

So you might get WONTFIXES and FIXED in [next release], and that [next release] might or might not be available for your next device. But don't think that Nokia doesn't care about bugs in current releases and about the satisfaction of the users getting those bugs.

What do you mean 'reduced activity'? Can you express it with numbers or some more details?
And I'm clear on where my loyalty won't lie after the N900. I will happily move on to Meego in the future(and continue enjoying my N900 for now), but probably not with Nokia

Meh!! if flash 10.1 isn't coming to the N900. I now have bigger things about the N900 to worry about

Death to Flash!!!
Most companies in any case will support H.264 in the hardware and have appropriate licenses. While it will suck for pure FOSS supporters, I hope the new Google WebM project takes care of that too.

Jobso is right here. I don't want a middle man between my content and the content provider. Now, if only he could ever convince me to get tied down to his draconian locked down though buttery smooth iSchit

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to un-named_user For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update