Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings Everyone:

According to an articule on Engadget, the Asus Eee PC will ship to the US in late September.

Now the Asus Eee PC has a 7 inch screen, 2 gb of storage, and Wifi.
The articule goes on to say that pricing would be between $269-299US.

Now, This is a vary competive price and the first so called UMPC that is challenging the Nokia N800, price wise.

Its true that 2 gb of storage(Asus) is a laugh compared to 16 gb one can put in a N800.

But, CPU power is better on the Asus.
Also, Asus will ship the PC with a 4-6 cell battery.

Comparing product to product, 7 inch screen, more powerful CPU, battery life,
and price similarty.

I wouldn't be surprised if we will see a successor to the N800 very soon.

Comments, opinions, soft words are welcomed.
sticks and stones I could do without.

Regards Robert

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Not really the same market.

The asus eee can't fit in a pocket like the n800.

Greetings Khertan:

Thankyou very much from opting out on the sticks and stones portion of my message, I'm grateful.

Yes, you are correct, Pocketability is in favor of the N800.
I own an N800 and I carry it everywhere.

As a Photographer, and many of my friends agree, I would rather show an image/video on a 7 inch display rather than a 4 inch display.

Also, for the same price as the N800, would you rather get more screen size and more cpu power, or accept less for the same price?

Maybe we will have to wait and see if the mass users will accept to carry a 7 inch PC.

But it all comes down to price, what will PC manufactures give me for the same price as a N800.

Regards Robert

Im getting a eee, its a great filler between a full laptop and the n800, as it is supose to run windows.. also this means it could be a hackintosh.

Last edited by E-ville; 2007-08-16 at 13:36.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
I'm with Khertan on the 'not the same market' point. I don't think Nokia will feel particularly threatened by the mini-laptop that is the Eee. 7 inch screens are well and good for viewing things on, but that 7 inch screen has the same resolution as the 4.1" screen on our ITTs, which seems a bit funny to me. It has more power and it has a keyboard. But it is way to big to fit in a pocket, meaning you'll have to lug it around in a bag which would completely defeat the purpose of the idea for me. I didn't buy my ITT for it to be a cheap little pc, I bought it so I could have an internet device in my pocket, something that wouldn't be a chore to carry around. You'd have to have a reason to carry around an EEE, since it would require you to carry a bag for it. An EEE might be good for college students, but aside from that I'm really not sure what the point of it is, and it isn't a direct competitor to the ITT's. As far as the masses going for one or the other, they won't. The masses don't need or want a really small laptop any more than they need a linux tablet with wifi that fits in their pocket. If it ran windows xp, then maybe it would have a shot at a real market, but running linux is just going to get you stuffed into a niche market at this point. It would have been a good form factor for a umpc, running xp at that size and price point would be great, but it doesn't, and while you could install xp yourself, the storage space would be an issue, and frankly 'the masses' arnt big on reinstalling operating systems.

If it had a touch screen that would be nice
but it does look interesting and I thing for many things the EEE would be excellent.
The price point is cool and you can plug in a cable which is good too
options are nice
Interesting times ahead

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I consider the Eee a nice cutesy machine for a little kid to learn some serious computing on.

That's why I want one (ehmm... not for me!). My only concern is the rumours of its price constantly going up; we're already above the USD 200 mark, and that was for a 4GB version.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Greetings:

First of all the Eee will be installed with Linux.
But you guys are right, if Windows XP could be install it would send shock waves through the LapTop industry.

As for price, Karl is right this PC was first announced with a price tag of $200US.
Maybe the CPU chip inside must of brought up the price.

Still at a price below $300, if windows XP could be installed, gee what a PC it would be.

As for the N800, add a slideout keyboard, bumpup the CPU to 600Mhz and keep the price below $300US, now you have an excellent ITT.

Regards Robert

It is not at all assured that battery life will be as good as on the tablets though, we'll have to wait on actual hands-on experience for that...

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I'll probably buy one for my mom for christmas. It would be great for her to do email and skype on in and around the house as she doesn't have a laptop.