Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Greetings Khertan:

Thankyou very much from opting out on the sticks and stones portion of my message, I'm grateful.

Yes, you are correct, Pocketability is in favor of the N800.
I own an N800 and I carry it everywhere.

As a Photographer, and many of my friends agree, I would rather show an image/video on a 7 inch display rather than a 4 inch display.

Also, for the same price as the N800, would you rather get more screen size and more cpu power, or accept less for the same price?

Maybe we will have to wait and see if the mass users will accept to carry a 7 inch PC.

But it all comes down to price, what will PC manufactures give me for the same price as a N800.

Regards Robert
We've been down this path before here.

If I'm needing a screen that large, the heck with price: I'm buying one of those little Sony Vaios.

If I want something more portable, and yet with a more useful screen than my phone, then I take the N800.

The market will of course decide what form factors are acceptable, but I'm convinced that if you get any bigger than the N800, most people will make the quantum leap to at least a small laptop. That seemed to be the consensus the last time we hashed this subject over.

I think Nokia researched this issue well.

I think Nokia didn't expect someone to release a laptop-like device at USD200+ though. Price makes a big difference in this case.

How about the Raon Everun?

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...hp?storyid=757

http://www.dynamism.com/everun/pricing.shtml

There are pics on UMPCPortal that show the size difference between the N800 and the Everun.

Are they competing in the same market?

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-08-16 at 17:59.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The market will of course decide what form factors are acceptable, but I'm convinced that if you get any bigger than the N800, most people will make the quantum leap to at least a small laptop. That seemed to be the consensus the last time we hashed this subject over.

I think Nokia researched this issue well.
Yes, people repeatedly pop up on this forum improperly comparing the IT to some "portable" laptop. Even the emphasis on specs (CPU speed) smacks that someone is trying to evaluate the IT on laptop terms. They are not competitors, although the latest IT does allow me to leave the laptop at home sometimes. ;-)

And to the OP, the eee is not a UMPC under industry parlance. UMPC refers to more than smallish screen size and integrated WiFi.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
SD69 is correct. Neither the n800 nor the Eee are UMPCs.

In May 2007, Intel told the world that they saw two markets for the UMPC. One, a higher-end market for professionals and productivity users. The other, a low-end market focused mainly on smaller, cheaper, less powerful entertainment and communication devices aimed at the consumer.
Ironicly enough though, by that definition, it almost sounds like the Eee and especially the ITTs (which considering their form factor and other things, really arnt *that* far off from being umpcs) are aiming towards that lower end umpc niche. Which no UMPC I've ever seen has gone for. For instance that everun umpc is priced at more than twice a n800 for the lowest end version, which kinda puts it in a different market than the n800, and thats before we take into account that fact that it runs xp.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Can't wait for the EEE to come to Europe. At that price tag i want one. And then let it compete against the N800 and see who wins.

Ton.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I know at least for me I was reaaly forward to the release to the eee pc but after reading this I'm not so sure now. For almost double the price and half the memory that Asus isn't looking as good as it was a few months ago.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Well, i'm in Europe, so i guess the $199/239 with the two hour battery is supposed to come here. I'm wondering, BTW, why europeans or asians would like a two hour battery when americans won't....

Imagine a slightly bigger N800 with a keyboard, with a normal Linux distribution, with USB and an external VGA...
The 2Gb memory is just to carry around. All the other diskspace you need you have in your bag on the external USB drive.

Edit:
I did some looking around and the EEE is for sale in Belgium. At a price range from € 346 to € 472 ($463-632) for the 701 and a vast € 551 ($738) for the 1001 version. That's quite a big difference from the initial $199-$239.

I guess the EEE is a no-go then.

Ton.

Last edited by Toontje; 2007-08-17 at 09:30. Reason: Did some research....

I'd say these prices are totally bogus because a) the eee isn't available anywhere yet, and b) the article linked above clearly states that the 10" model has been abandoned and only 7" versions will be available this year...

That article was written from a very US-centric POV but I believe the same logic (protecting Asus sales of traditional laptops) will prevail in European markets too: select the topmost configuration(s) to attain a price point (and margin) that's agreeable to the local marketing dept. The mythical 199$ version will only be seen in third-world markets, if ever.

Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
SD69 is correct. Neither the n800 nor the Eee are UMPCs.

Ironicly enough though, by that definition, it almost sounds like the Eee and especially the ITTs (which considering their form factor and other things, really arnt *that* far off from being umpcs) are aiming towards that lower end umpc niche. Which no UMPC I've ever seen has gone for. For instance that everun umpc is priced at more than twice a n800 for the lowest end version, which kinda puts it in a different market than the n800, and thats before we take into account that fact that it runs xp.

Hi All,

So how do we define the market of the ITT? Must it be ALL of the following?

1) Run Linux
2) Be small and pocketable
3) Have a hi-res screen 800x480
4) Priced in the same region +- USD50 (?)
5) Not a phone
6) Have WIFI, BT ....?

Of course, one can see that if we define it too rigidly, we're expecting a clone of the ITT.

One can argue that the Everun is more expensive, but it is better in other aspects AND runs a ton more software. Is it only because it is more expensive that we claim it is not in the same target market? AND/OR should the OS (Windows, btw, it can run Linux as well) be something that would sway the market?

Let's hear your views....

Luke

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
Hi All,

So how do we define the market of the ITT? Must it be ALL of the following?

1) Run Linux
2) Be small and pocketable
3) Have a hi-res screen 800x480
4) Priced in the same region +- USD50 (?)
5) Not a phone
6) Have WIFI, BT ....?

Of course, one can see that if we define it too rigidly, we're expecting a clone of the ITT.

One can argue that the Everun is more expensive, but it is better in other aspects AND runs a ton more software. Is it only because it is more expensive that we claim it is not in the same target market? AND/OR should the OS (Windows, btw, it can run Linux as well) be something that would sway the market?

Let's hear your views....

Luke
You left out, not a PDA...