Active Topics

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Bridgend, South Wales, UK
Originally Posted by lachgirl View Post
do you mind sharing how you downloaded manually? I accidentally hit ignore on the download notification. thanks.
Hi lachgirl, not sure if you've already sorted your problem but if you havent, go to https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware
or download the nokia firmware updater
http://europe.nokia.com/support/down...oftware-update

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I like 1.2....there is something that annoy me.

Last night as i was taking pictures.....i notice that when you use flashlight while taking picture..it works the first time taking the first pic...then taking another pic or more afterward result in failed operation. Even iFocus program does the same. So i had to shut the flash light off in order to take as many pics as i want without resulting in "operation failed." Lucky i don't take pics with flashlight on...so it's not a big deal for me. The cam does work with flashlight on while recording video though.
ohm...

Flashlight? You mean flash? I works as it supposed to work for me at least. If you mean that you have installed 3rd party program that doesn't work with official camera app as YOU liked it to behave then i canīt say nothing *facepalm* Oh dear these users..

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
What did they promise exactly?

I do not recall portrait mode ever being promised.

There has been a long argument coming to the conclusion that neither was FLASH 10.1, although it was implied (though more by Adobe than Nokia) due to showing the beta running on N900.

Also, while we all want proper Ovi Maps support they certainly never promised that either. I agree they SHOULD deliver it as we paid more for the device and its missing a key feature that pretty much all Nokia phones, much cheaper ones than the N900, have as standard. However to be fair, they never promised we would get it.

Believe me I am not happy that the N900 is lacking some of these things, Ovi Maps at least I expected it to be comparable to at least their cheaper devices. However, the N900 does everything that was actually promised of it.
In fact even before we the phone was finally released in Dec we were already left waiting for 2 ****ing months after the supposed release date, with no info from Nokia, only "coming soon". Even when it was for finally for sale back in Dec, there were still supply problems for months all across the world. Even 2 months ago some stores in Amsterdam still said they were waiting to get their batch of N900, while others already had it, but now these stores cancelled the orders and aren't ever going to stock up.

They promised complete portrait mode for PR1.1 and that would be in December 09.

They promised full flash & best web experience
In fact N900 was 1st device to ever be shown with Flash 10.1, but now absolutley noting,only qole saying it wont come.

They promised full Ovi Maps for Maemo like the Symbian version when they made Ovi Maps free

They said Ovi Store Update on 27 May 2010. Its 30 May 2010 now, Ovi Store still is ****

Constant false hopes, unfulfilled promises and ultimately discarded projects, I lose my hopes in Nokia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
In fact even before ... I lose my hopes in Nokia
I agree with you. But still IMHO there is nothing that compares to N900, that would have a decent OS, like android. Closest thing is Moto Droid (milestone), but it has even worse keyboard, slower HSDPA, on IR, no FM transmitter, worse camera. And most importantly no Skype integration, where I live every one uses Skype, I have a data plan, so video and regular calls, chats, and file transfers are FREE, and super easy, this is the best thing about N900 you don't need "an app for that". Yes you can get similar functionality on droid and better support, but even with it's downfalls N900 is pretty damn good. Yes there are even more potential on this device and you totally have a right to be angry at Nokia, for delaying updates, but we have this community and it try to do the best it can, and succeeds. Look how many apps there is on OVI and how many are in extras (devel,test). We will have Android thanks to DJ steve, and MeeGO at some time. Only thing that N900 is missing for me is some good games.

P.S. The big bad is that N900 is overpriced. 300EUR (465USD/320GBP) is the price not 550EUR, no way hardware is that expensive, the price is high only due demand.

Last edited by esthreel; 2010-05-30 at 22:56. Reason: P.S.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
-no Flash 10.1
Who cares?

-no Ovi Maps 3
There are free alternatives in the extras repos.

-no real portrait mode, so what if Nokia promised it for PR1.1? I mean who needs that?
Not true.
Noone promised it. Still, you can have the phone, browser, and several other stuff has portrait mode.

-no vkeyboard in portrait mode
OMG, seriously?
If I have a decent hardware keyboard, why care about virtual keyboard at all?

-no Ovi Store update
Don't care about Ovi store. There are tons of good apps in the repos anyway.

-bad communication with customers
Not bad communication, just you can't understand it.

-not completely open source
Yes, the stuff that you shouldn't screw up is not open.
Still, why should I care?

Hey BradaPrada, just do us a favor and bugger off.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-05-30 at 23:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by myeyegooogles View Post
The n900 is my computer in a pocket! I'm still amazed it makes phone calls!

I would even keep the n900 if I get the N8. I would use the n8 as my primary cell phone, and tether the connection to my n900 for the awesome internet experience!
We can only hope that something arrives with Meego that has the N8 camera, so that we don't need to do that.

However I fear Meego will actually be a disappointment compared to Maemo, as I'm not sure I like the direction they are going with capacitive screen and panning desktop.

I suppose if it had a 4.3" screen then the precision of the resistive screen would not be missed as much, plus capacitive being glass is generally more scratch proof which is good. (I dropped my iPod Touch onto gravel and the screen doesn't have a mark on it, just the back does)

Quite frankly though, the N900 with a better camera and HD video support (that works smoothly) would be everything I needed. A better version of Ovi Maps too would be even better, although I find Ovi Maps on PR1.2 to be a massive improvement.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
... Not bad communication, just you can't understand it. ....
Actually that is the one and only thing I agree on, Nokia has had poor communication at times. They are quite well renown for delays and miscommunication.

How long its taken for them to tell us Meego won't be officially released on N900. How unclear that claim is as it seems now it WILL be released, but not officially supported and might need some community patching to work. You could never call that good communication.

However that does not make the N900 any less useful. At the end of the day, the biggest communication problem is between the retailer and end-user. People not being warned WHAT the N900 is, and is not. Perhaps that is Nokia at fault wanting to push the N900 and not discourage adoption (which if people knew what they were getting themselves into, they would not sell anywhere near as many) but we can only guess. Its not fair the place all blame on Nokia, we simply do not know.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Loving my N900 and loving 1.2... awesome device.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I got a LOVE HATE relationship with my N900 lol.
The web browser is better than before but somewhat it drained more RAM and CPU than usual. But that is something to sacrifice for a better browser.

The PR1.2 N900 seems to be slow at reading my MMC some how. May be I need to reformat it by the PR1.2 software to make it works like usual.

Originally Posted by PradaBrada
-no vkeyboard in portrait mode
OMG, seriously?
If I have a decent hardware keyboard, why care about virtual keyboard at all?
There is a Virtual Keyboard in Portrait mode using Opera Mobile. Maybe since you are complaining so much please port this to the OS so we all have it PradaBrada.

PradaBrada why did you purchase the phone on non-legal promises. It was not legally binding for Nokia to follow-up what they said they will do. Nokia helped us out with these updates to benefit the product for us in which they receive little or no money since reviews are already written. They just want us to be happier with the N900 as customers. We are lucky to even have PR 1.2. Flash 10.1 was never acknowledged to be ported to the N900. They only used N900 as a testbed. It would be good to have the 10.1 update though as this would make the phone more processing/energy efficient while providing additional features.

I have had this phone since it available for Pre-order and I'm pretty sure the 1st on in Australia to have it. PradaBrada I think you need to calm down and think before you post your comments on these forums as they are unwelcome. Why would you purchase the product as expensive as the Nokia N900 without prior research on whether it would be suitable or not.

I believe the Nokia N900 has fulfilled and surpassed all my expectations. Nokia did a good job on providing a new platform for a new mobile computer. It is meant to be used in Landscape mode, not Portrait. It is not a phone but a computer with phone capabilities.

Who cares? (Regarding Flash 10.1)
I care because I bought the phone because of how good the browser is supposed to be, now a good chunk of the webiste that heavily use flash are inaccessible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larrikin For This Useful Post:

Tags
troll thread