Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Yeah very good story, Im glad it all worked out. I have modded many phones and repaired many. But xterm etc was new to me also, but since ive had this phone ive turned into more of a geek and love this beauty

regardless of its shortcomings (the only real one that gets to me is custom ringtones for individual contacts), the phone never ceases to impress both me and people who i show the phone to.

One thing i don't understand... what's "the bomb" in your story?

Apart from that (and apart from dropping it into coffee too), we have similar stories i suppose. Execute command lines on a phone? Never imagined that i would ever do that. But thanks to this somewhat open OS, and this amazing community, it seems like the most normal thing to do now.
Ok, so Maemo isn't perfect, especially not for a phone OS. But at least it's different, and i like that. And more importantly, it just does what i want to do with it. I really don't care about custom ringtones for example, but i love the built-in IM client, the browser,...

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by woussie View Post
One thing i don't understand... what's "the bomb" in your story?

Apart from that (and apart from dropping it into coffee too), we have similar stories i suppose. Execute command lines on a phone? Never imagined that i would ever do that. But thanks to this somewhat open OS, and this amazing community, it seems like the most normal thing to do now.
Ok, so Maemo isn't perfect, especially not for a phone OS. But at least it's different, and i like that. And more importantly, it just does what i want to do with it. I really don't care about custom ringtones for example, but i love the built-in IM client, the browser,...

Sorry i forgot to mention that after the incident with the coffee i was in this ongoing love hate relationship with my n900 cos of screen and the fact that it wouldnt do certain stuff that other phones did, but ive made my peace with that.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Good story. Have you taken the LCD out and cleaned it? Try some >90% rubbing alcohol. Worked for me when I dropped my n900 washer

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Good story. Have you taken the LCD out and cleaned it? Try some >90% rubbing alcohol. Worked for me when I dropped my n900 washer
no i havent.. i actually bought a new screen to replace it , but i messed up the screws the first time round and im pretty much stuck with the screen as is , or unless i can find someone that has a busted n900 so i can buy it for the whole slider/screen.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
regardless of its shortcomings (the only real one that gets to me is custom ringtones for individual contacts), the phone never ceases to impress both me and people who i show the phone to.
Same story here, except in my case, the shortcoming is the lack of a keyboard that doesn't cover the whole screen (a la Pre-Fremantle stylus keyboard).

Being a teen in America... not many friends are impressed by Linux. :\

(Except one... who's heading a new Linux Distribution: http://lincomlinux.org/ )

Well... MeeGo musht be our shaviour!
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.