Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
There goes textrat with his tips agian. Is there any chance we know when the next tablet is going to be released and any specs? Not that we are not expecting one to be released early next year. But a brief tip on the specs would be great!!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's "Texrat". Only 2 Tees.

Oh, and fpp-- I was referring to full sized keyboards. I thought I recalled seeing someone say they got one to work.

Finally, surely you guys already suspected at least one more OS release... right? As for next tablet, heck, I have no clue. And even if I did... :X

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
[QUOTE=Texrat;69480Finally, surely you guys already suspected at least one more OS release... right?[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a given. We're due at least one O/S release that doesn't destroy hardware.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Well, that's a given. We're due at least one O/S release that doesn't destroy hardware.
That calls for a flame smiley!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
yeah i think the next firmware will have:

1. A video client for the pc
2. Ad2p support
3. Ability to integrate video in some flash sites...

Any other guesses???

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Any other guesses???
I guess I'll delay shopping around for a bluetooth keyboard a bit, in the hope for usb host support.

Here's what I feel...

1) Individuals have different needs. Hence, when they get a device, it will need to suit them. However, its hard to find a single device that will suit perfectly...hence, the next best thing is to get one that covers the most bases.

2) Depending on what those bases are, a device that can do the most at a comfortable price point will probably get the widest base of users.

3) The N800 is about $650 Singapore dollars (here in Singapore). The closest competitor in price alone would possibly be some WM5/WM6 Mobile Phone or one of Nokia's S60 phones.

4) But if you consider other factors like screen real estate and browsing, then the next closest in price would be a UMPC (eg. Kohjinsha SA1) or Toshiba G900 mobile phone (expensive). Windows XP and WM6 OS respectively. Huge base of applications, some freeware, some shareware etc. BTW, software like Navicore and Rhapsody aren't exactly free, so not all Linux-based software is free. BUT, paid stuff doesn't mean it isn't good. These are not exactly pocketable.

5) So are they competing in the same market? I think so. As long as you are able to convince a typical user to switch from one device to another (that means, that user's decision may sway), that means they are competing. One can define to a great extent and argue that the markets are not the same, but frankly, we have to look at the typical user. Unless, the device states outright...for folks with linux knowledge recommended...or something like that. Otherwise they are competing for the same target audience.

luketoh : yes, you can "sway" people, advertisement & marketing do that for a living. But it's much harder to convince a vest pocket that a Kohjinsha SA1 will fit into it, or the opposite :-)

Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
BTW, software like Navicore and Rhapsody aren't exactly free, so not all Linux-based software is free.
In most cases you're actually referring to the services, which are not free. But the software client tends to be.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
it's interesting in this discussion that the Zaurus doesn't feature as an alternative to the N800 - also pocketable, can operate as a tablet, but has the swivel display/keyboard thing.

the Fujitsu 8420/U1010 is, apart from the price, another alternative to the micro-laptop Kohjinshas.

let's say you won a lotof money on the lottery and could buy every one of these tablets and ultraportables - money no object - would you still do so? Perhaps, but chances are you'd try them out and only keep one or two... there's only so much time available to properly set up and enjoy three computers - desktop (or laptop with dock), laptop, tablet/PDA.. and probably a separate phone to act as 3G/Edge mobile internet gateway.

Hence there's a tendency for people to stick with what they've got instead of flit between devices all the time... and once you've got one working fairly well and learned all its quirks you get reluctant to start again with something new unless there's a compelling reason to change. I guess this is why I still use my Palm T3 for PIM and use my Zaurus as a mobile internet terminal and general linux computer (never even put any effort into using the Z as a PIM, never got sync working!).

sorry for long rambling post but I was kind of thinking aloud!