Active Topics

Originally Posted by doksng View Post
What truth???
"Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the truth. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no truth."

Quote manipulated for entertainment purposes.

So you want truth. Here's mine...
Let's start with the bad parts:
  • No full-featured Ovi Maps (voice guidance, offline navigation, on-the-fly route recalculation)
  • No commercial MeeGo support
  • Nokia's sustainment of this product has not been very good.

But I buy things based on capability and cost, and the n900 was the thing that delivered the capabilities I want at the lowest total cost of ownership.

For reference, my required capabilities:
  • RELIABLY MAKES AND RECEIVES PHONE CALLS
  • Capable of syncing up with Google Calendar and Google Contacts
  • Interfaces with GMail with new mail notifications
  • Full-blown web browser
  • Media player
  • Bluetooth A2DP support
  • Physical keyboard
  • Phone shows up as mass storage device, no bloatware required
  • Field-replaceable battery

And icing on the cake:
  • Open source
  • FM Transmitter
  • GPS
  • Video chat on Google Talk
  • Very good integration with Skype
  • IR port (I have it as a remote to trigger my DSLR)
  • Dual-LED flash I could use as a flashlight

In the six years I have used Linux on my laptop, I have been seeing constant growth and maturity. I believe in the community, and I would like to see what MeeGo has in store, even if it doesn't come directly from Nokia. If this phone is not for you, that's fine -- there are alternatives out there and you choosing one is capitalism at work.

Last edited by cyeung; 2010-06-02 at 15:48.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mr id View Post
A big thank you.
Aye. The biggest Thank You I can manage!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Now call me stupid !!!!!.
You really want to tempt people?

This thread needs tits

If the critical threads could maintain an air of being informative and useful, then I've no doubt that they'd remain open. But when you start a thread with the intent of riling others, and then you counter their responses with name-calling, personal criticism and ad hominem fallacies, then it's easy to understand that a forum moderator would react appropriately as the nature of the debate quickly devolves.

Personally, I'm no Nokia fanboy. I'd really have preferred for Sony-Ericsson to get their stuff together so that I could support my state's economy, but that issue recently has become moot. The N900 is the second Nokia I've owned. The first was my first mobile, back in 2003; a very basic monochrome, the model number of which I don't recall. Of all the smartphones I've used, the N900 is the ONLY one to achieve most of what I expect a mobile device to do, and that makes it one of the purchases with which I am most satisfied. I see nothing about the N900 that will prevent it from serving beyond my expectations well into the next 2+ years. If it lasts that long, then it will have outlived every phone I've ever owned. The only real negative so far is the dent it put in my bank account, but that's an ephemeral issue. Prior to my purchase, I feared there'd be much customization needed to get it to function adequately, but out of the box this device was capable of doing 90% of what I needed it to do, and on top of that it also makes phone calls, which has really come in handy for the 60 minutes/month that I talk on the phone.
The current mapping offerings are lamentable, but to be honest my uses for GIS exceed any mobile offering on a basic consumer level. If they could just install a decent DAC and give the thing better audio quality, then I could really start to carry around a single gadget and leave my S9 behind, but that's not going to happen.
So I'm satisfied because this device exceeded my expectations, far outperforming any Apple, Symbian or Android handset for my uses. That doesn't make me a fanboy, nor does it signify a failure to accept that the N900 is crap, that global warming is a hoax or that Adam and Eve plowed their garden with a dimetrodon.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
This thread needs tits
Its got one already.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
This thread needs tits
Yes, I agree!

But beyond that, the problem is that we are having lots of needless threads all saying the same thing over and over and over again. A waste of time and Energy. Just one thread for why you don't like your Nokia device and what you will do in the future. It can actually be useful, when it is not repetitive like it is now One thread per topic, as with every topic.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Its got one already.
Good thing you showed up!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Another feature that would be great on this forum imho is the post ranking feature that engadget has in its "comments" section. Basically, if enough people rate a post negatively, it disappears from the thread with a comment reading "this post has been downranked into oblivion."

Its always fun to click on these and see why a post was ranked so low... its never really a surprise

Tags
best thread yet, whine + cheese?