Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Complex and nerd looking
There's no such thing as "intuitive" in computing. Don't mistake what you've learned for "intuitive" and disregard other UIs because of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
On an N770 with OS2007HE...

browser - for booking tickets, researching and booking hostels/hotels
Gizmo5+Google Voice - to chat with people back in the States
Skype - for calling friends overseas and dealing with lost luggage

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
There's no such thing as "intuitive" in computing. Don't mistake what you've learned for "intuitive" and disregard other UIs because of it.
Intuitive = sh*t even my grandma can use

Are you saying Midnight Commander couldn't do with a better GUI?
Be objective here.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Easy debian is fully usable. It is very easy to install. For me the best part of Easy Debian is that it brings a full powered word processor and spreasheet application to my device in the form of OpenOffice.org. However, I have to agree the MicroB is the king of all mobile applications anywhere.

The thing is, the N900 doesn't just have one killer app. It has many, on several different categories. The media player has some great features, but it is probably the weakest aspect of the device. However it does the job acceptly well for me.

Any way, these are my personal killer apps:
  1. MicroB
  2. EasyDebian/Oo.o
  3. Garnet VM (Palm OS on the N900
  4. Python

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Intuitive = sh*t even my grandma can use

Are you saying Midnight Commander couldn't do with a better GUI?
Be objective here.
You're basically bashing something for having a UI you aren't familiar with. It's like criticizing people for using (and enjoying) a console instead of a GUI, claiming it's inferior to a point and click interface because your grandma can't use it.

Fortunately, *nix and the N900 give us all options, instead of only one.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You're basically bashing something for having a UI you aren't familiar with. It's like criticizing people for using (and enjoying) a console instead of a GUI, claiming it's inferior to a point and click interface because your grandma can't use it.

Fortunately, *nix and the N900 give us all options, instead of only one.
C'mon
Are you serious?

It is not about being familiar with the UI, are you saying that is the best it can do? You don't wish it was any simpler to use?

C'mon
Are you serious?

It is not about being familiar with the UI, are you saying that is the best it can do? You don't wish it was any simpler to use?
Why would I wish it was "simpler" to use? Necessarily with simplicity you give up capability. It's like suggesting that regular expressions are too hard, and we should "make grep simpler."

But you know, you don't have to use it. So get off it. If you have an issue with people using such tools, go to a platform that flatly denies people the capability.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
C'mon
Are you serious?

The command line and many of its programs *are* simpler to use. They just happen to be harder to learn. But once you learn them they reward you handsomely.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

I don't have an issue with people using CLI. But it could be better.
So Midnight Commander is at the best it could be? If everyone thought like this then there'd be no innovation.

Look at this example, using CTRL + SHIFT + P for taking screen shots (I know it isn't CLI). If this was reduced to one button, wouldn't that be a more intuitive solution?

Simplicity doesn't mean less capable. It's all about working smart.

Look at this example, using CTRL + SHIFT + P for taking screen shots (I know it isn't CLI). If this was reduced to one button, wouldn't that be a more intuitive solution?
Sure, but you either lose a button or go through the extra effort and resources to add a hardware button. Whereas with CTRL+SHIFT+P you neither need additional hardware, lose functions, nor do you need to load extra software. You have to look it up to use it, but once you know it, you're done.

You don't use emacs/vim, do you?

Simplicity doesn't mean less capable. It's all about working smart.
Which is why I installed the system monitor applet that gave me a screenshot button with a 20 second delay I could also install scrot, I suppose...