Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Hi,

I am a geeky N900 user who likes gadgets. I like dipping my toe in with the N900 and trying new things but don't like getting my feet wet. I have no ability in development what-so-ever. In the 5 months of ownership I have found the N900, so far, to be a satisfactory device following on from the host of windows mobile phones i've used. I am happy with my decision to buy an N900 and have found the community to be great source of information and assistance.

Before the release of the 1.2 update there was a lot of talk about what would and wouldn't be included and how good it was be etc etc. A lot of what i picked up seemed to be about Qt and a new implementation of which would be included with the 1.2 update. If i believed everything i read i would be thinking right now that it was going to bring a host of new functionality/apps to the N900.

So, as the title says - what does Qt mean for me?

It should bring a host of apps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
well it should make some nicer apps, etc.....
but being a developer, i was using qt before... and well, no changes that i can report bac kyet, as the bits i want to use dont work - or wont be out for a while, meh........

I'm sure there is something good in there though :P

Good question too
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
So, as the title says - what does Qt mean for me?
For you, personally, Qt means that a great deal of better apps are coming.
  • It becomes easier to port apps between other platforms. Some people had Qt apps for desktop machines which can now work on mobiles with minimal effort.
  • The same app can target Maemo/MeeGo, Symbian, Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows Mobile, and more.
  • Basically, they give a nice IDE and a nice environment do develop with.
  • It is easier to understand for developers from other platforms to begin with.

Basically, development for the N900 became quite LESS a pain in the *** for most of the people.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-03 at 21:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Thanks guys.

I guess i picked up the gist of it but it is now much clearer for me - and hopefully a few others too!

Cheers.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Thinking of what Qt means to me gives me an irresistible urge to splatter this thread with lolCt's....

Ps: yep, to me it's a bridge between maemo's strengths and symbian's.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bavaria, Germany
I only bought the N900 because of Qt

The Following User Says Thank You to gri For This Useful Post:
Java - "Write Once Run Anywhere"
Qt - Write once, Port many times

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Java - "Write Once Run Anywhere"
Qt - Write once, Port many times
No, this is false.

Qt = Code less, create more, deploy everywhere.

Of course, it is native code, so you must recompile for every platform you want to support.
There are also platform-specific APIs for convenience, but you can wrap them in #ifdef's to preserve compatibility with others.

qt_sdk : symbian/maemo/meego/linux/linux-fb-embedded/wince/macos/windows/etc. = xcode_cocoatouch : iphone

qt works everywhere and is LGPL! and if you want you may always use a different toolkit/libraries, or code plain c and use very lowlevel api!

any more words about that great nokia strategy?