Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Penguinbait, do you know whether your KDE will work on the N900?

Last edited by BruceL; 2009-12-10 at 21:32.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
so, penguinbait, I've tried to install on a completely clean reflash...
now it gives me error with either the Install-tools!!!! it stays on "installing" for a while, then it says unable to install...without giving me any reason!!!
(the same with Kde btw...)

are there problems with the code?? or is my device that is idiot?? ç_ç

btw, I'm connected to internet, don't worry xD

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
it doesn't install console-tools, it stops right after I click "install", giving "unable to install" without giving me reasons...

Kde-installer, when I tried time ago, gave me the same problem, but after a while it was installing...

are these packages corrupted?? or there are other problems??

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by pinguino89 View Post
it doesn't install console-tools, it stops right after I click "install", giving "unable to install" without giving me reasons...

Kde-installer, when I tried time ago, gave me the same problem, but after a while it was installing...

are these packages corrupted?? or there are other problems??

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
What does the Application Manager log say, can you paste it in here?

PLEASE POST the log from the application manager, its in the menu, in the application manager
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-12-11 at 12:52.

Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
Penguinbait, do you know whether your KDE will work on the N900?
I do not know, I do not have a n900, probably won't have one for a while

My guess is no, I believe the code would run, but the underlying OS has changed and is probably missing a bunch of supporting files used by KDE.

Sorry guys, I would love to recompile and put out something, but I just don't have the funds to buy an n900. It's Christmas and I have 4 kids 10-16, my hosting fees on tablethacker is due, and I am tempted to let it go. Just no way I will be doing anything new on the platform anytime soon.

It's funny, I was asked long before any devices were released, what I would do with a n900. I conveyed that I would re-port KDE to the n900 and try several other things that just ran too slow on previous platforms.

Apparently this answer was not what anyone wanted to hear? Sometimes I wonder if its just the troublemaker in me that causes all my problems or my lack of conformity?

We'll see, I am up on my phone contract, so if I could get two on them on a deal I would most likely take advantage. So far though, I am waiting for something more affordable, or for me to have some more cash perhaps after we recover from Christmas.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I do not know, I do not have a n900, probably won't have one for a while

My guess is no, I believe the code would run, but the underlying OS has changed and is probably missing a bunch of supporting files used by KDE.

Sorry guys, I would love to recompile and put out something, but I just don't have the funds to buy an n900. It's Christmas and I have 4 kids 10-16, my hosting fees on tablethacker is due, and I am tempted to let it go. Just no way I will be doing anything new on the platform anytime soon.

It's funny, I was asked long before any devices were released, what I would do with a n900. I conveyed that I would re-port KDE to the n900 and try several other things that just ran too slow on previous platforms.

Apparently this answer was not what anyone wanted to hear? Sometimes I wonder if its just the troublemaker in me that causes all my problems or my lack of conformity?

We'll see, I am up on my phone contract, so if I could get two on them on a deal I would most likely take advantage. So far though, I am waiting for something more affordable, or for me to have some more cash perhaps after we recover from Christmas.
I am surprised to hear you weren't on the developer device program. When I had my 770 one of the things I REALLY wanted was to be able to print. Basically, the consensus was that it wasn't possible. But you did it. And I was shocked to find KDE working. It opened up the door to Debian and Ubuntu. KDE on the N800 is one of my favorite things to show people who ask "is that a phone?" I show them KDE with the bluetooth mouse and keyboard and say "No, it's a computer. See..."

So who knows why you didn't get one, but it doesn't reflect how valuable you are to the community. If it will help, I will donate $50 for you to get one. Maybe if some others do so too you can get one.

Anyone else in on this? Penguinbait is an important part of Maemo, and it would be a shame to lose him. (Not to mention, printing, KDE, CD-ROM drivers, etc!)

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
I am surprised to hear you weren't on the developer device program. When I had my 770 one of the things I REALLY wanted was to be able to print. Basically, the consensus was that it wasn't possible. But you did it. And I was shocked to find KDE working. It opened up the door to Debian and Ubuntu. KDE on the N800 is one of my favorite things to show people who ask "is that a phone?" I show them KDE with the bluetooth mouse and keyboard and say "No, it's a computer. See..."

So who knows why you didn't get one, but it doesn't reflect how valuable you are to the community. If it will help, I will donate $50 for you to get one. Maybe if some others do so too you can get one.

Anyone else in on this? Penguinbait is an important part of Maemo, and it would be a shame to lose him. (Not to mention, printing, KDE, CD-ROM drivers, etc!)

I was on the device program, its just not much help to me. Its Christmas time and a toy for me is not on the list, and the offer expires before the end of the year. I appreciate your offer, we'll see what the future brings. The pandora console is really more appealing to me at this point, their goals are more inline with what I want out of a device. However I have never held either of them so I can't really say what the future will bring. I am on the maemo community council and I am here for at least a few more months no matter what. I have been an avid maemo supporter for years, I do not anticipate this to change, I just may not be porting/hacking/using much on this platform in the future.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
wow :/ :/ i just shocked
nokia keeps loosin people :/

hello everyone!, I'm very late in the game,

Having a few problems and hope someone can help me,

I am on DIABLO_5.2008.43-7, n800, and currently using KDE, based on the thread explaining how to install to SD card (but not booting from SD).

I was unable to install the last part, kdesup-3.5.8.deb, but since it was called supplementary, i wondered if KDE didn't require it so I tried KDE and it runs, starts up, looks good, however when i click the trash bin it complains that a certain directory already exists. Is that an easy fix?

is that what penguinbait meant by it not working in diablo, that it works just not completely?

basically what I'm wondering is:

Should I be on a lower OS than 43-7? if so, is it possible to downgrade?

Can I fix the trash bin error in xterm or in some other simple way?
As root, run

chown user.users /usr/share/mime/
chown user.users /usr/share/mime/Trash

^enter these using the red monitor icon (forgive my incorrect Linux terminology)

is there a method to replace hildon with KDE?

do penguins eat raccoons?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: found some answers on my own. Even with the trash bin thing fixed, am I unknowingly using a broken KDE, or should I be fine?

I wish we had a super/unified thread.

Answer to the trash bin problem I found here: http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-15228.html

Tips:
Under settings > control center > regional & accessibility > keyboard short cuts, bind move window to the hardware menu key. you can now move windows that are two large for the display

Last edited by lowtek; 2010-03-02 at 05:40.

Running KDE on Community SSU

I was having a problem getting KDE to run on community SSU because it looks like "ps -ef" is no longer working in Community SSU. I have filed a bug.

You can work around this ps errors while running KDE under Community SSU by creating a script to run ps.

Open xterm and become root and run the following commands.

echo "/bin/ps" > /usr/bin/ps
chmod +x /usr/bin/ps

This will fix the ps error and KDE problems starting under community SSU.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
kde, kde35, koffice