Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I'm not sure if it will work, the antenna is quite strange placed in your phone and the amount of "turns" inside the case should be the same. Else it may sends on a wrong frequency. We will see, chances are ... 50:50?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Up a Tree somewhere near Stonehenge
I'd be worried about some git nabbing me phone...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
this must be the most practical & interesting homebrew I've seen in a while.

The Oyster cards use RFID technology, so the scanning antenna (the place where cards are swiped) actually provides power to the RFID chip: radio waves are induced through the red wire antenna to power the chip's transponder and transceiver. Therefore the red wire antenna will need to be kept exactly as it is found in the card to work, otherwise the power will simply be wrong and most likely burn out the chip.

Time to get the tracing paper out xD

Originally Posted by barrieluv View Post
Well, I got to the tube station and it drew a blank. Nothing happened. I took the back off my phone and tried it face down against the reader, but no joy. I removed it from the phone and tried it "naked". Still nothing. And then I noticed that the aerial had come away from one side of the chip! Damn and blast it's fragility!
So, I'll pick up another one (I've got lots of nail varnish remover left) and give it another go.
I found this video, so I know it can be done. It looks like I may have to run the aerial all the way round the case back to get it to work properly, though.
Results to follow...
How thick and flexible is what is left in your sixth photo? Would it fit between the battery cover and the battery? If so, why not trim the edges and cut a hole out for the lens cover assembly? This would maintain the coil's shape and stop it disconnecting from the chip. This is being posted from an N900 with this Oyster card-sized piece of paper inserted. The right hand edge would need to be trimmed to ensure the loop fitted within the thin strip remaining on the right hand side of the lens cover cutout.
Attached Images

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2010-06-05 at 16:06.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
How thick and flexible is what is left in your sixth photo? Would it fit between the battery cover and the battery? If so, why not trim the edges and cut a hole out for the lens cover assembly? This would maintain the coil's shape and stop it disconnecting from the chip. This is being posted from an N900 with this piece of paper inserted...
This is something I've already thought of and will give it a go before I go ahead and strip the chip/aerial out.

Originally Posted by barrieluv View Post
This is something I've already thought of and will give it a go before I go ahead and strip the chip/aerial out.
Great minds... 8-)

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Aaargh! It would be easier if I could test whether or not this is working at home...
http://barrieluv.blogspot.com/2010/0...empt-fail.html