Who here really complains about the n900 phone itself ?

Very few, it is very rare. Most agree the n900 is a great device hardware wise. No one complains about it.

What does everyone complain about here ?

Its the software support and lack of communication by NOKIA.

2 completely different things.

As for this quote

>>But as the OS improved, apps came and users got the hang of Android the atmosphere got more reasonable. Same thing will happen with Maemo/MeeGo.

Thats the point, n900 will NOT get official Meego. If Meego was not announced and Nokia pressed ahead with official Maemo and provided OFFICIAL CONTINUITY for the n900, THEN people will be content to wait for the most part.

But thats not what happened, and thats why ppl are pissed. This combined with all the other bits missing like Ovi maps (name your favorite griipe here) the evidence stacks up that they have been abandoned.

Until Nokia communicates better and manages its user base better this will always happen.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The fact that any of you have actually questioned if other hardware/OS/gadget manufacturers have received as much or as severe of a backlash due to grievances - what you people call "whiners" for the most part - smacks of so much naiveté... I refuse to believe that you all think that all Android or iPhone users are just "shiny happy people".

Either I've witnessed the absolute worst case of denial or I'm more realistic than most here. I doubt it's the former... and I hope it's not the latter.

Regardless. Want to see folks in an uproar in the iPhone communities? Go back to each major OS revision. Thousands of folks got hit with update bugs that rendered previously working phones to unrecoverable bricks.

Want to see folks in an uproar in the Android communities? Find the ones that have yet to get updates past 1.6 or 2.0.1. I've seen death threats.

If people are unhappy here, with Maemo... it's because they might have the feeling that their time to get things fix is coming to a close and Nokia has assigned some serious problems to WONTFIX status... thus, anger and disappointment.

Complainers. They exist. Not much more needs to be said than that.

Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
What is interesting to me is the fact that only the iPhone users never complain about their devices - and with all the features these Apple products are missing - I can't understand it. Either Steve is a master mind-controller, or they perfectly nailed the demographic of their customers.

The Android forums have quite a few users complaining about stuff - I have to say that it isn't as dramatic as TMO, but the things they complain about are equally funny. My favorite is the lack of gorilla glass on the Desire/Nexus One. Now, as you know, gorilla glass is a great, resistant glass tech but its not as if the 'normal' glass is fragile. I had my Desire fall on concrete face down (from quite a hight) and survive without a single scratch on screen. Still, the Android whiners - when they found out about gorilla glass (thanks Engaget and Dell Streak!) started claiming their "ordinary" capacitive screens are so weak that they can crack even under the slightest force. Conclusion? "Cheapskates at HTC! Why, oh why you didn't put gorilla glass on your two flagship devices". Also, I read things about HTC widgets being unpolished - now, if they are not polished, I don't know what is. They are far better than stock ones and they have lots of options and eye-candy. What widgets are better? Well, I guess they haven't seen Maemo's twitter widget Still, people complain and think the grass is greener on the other side.

The truth is, we can always find - and very often - IMAGINE something better than what we have.

Realistically - all the devices are great and offer amazing functionality. Even their weakest points are not that bad. Take the N900 and gmail. Now, nothing can beat gmail on an Android. Period. And you have to wait 10 seconds or more to read the email on your N900 while the Android devices have it pushed instantly it arrives and it opens up in a matter of moments. Android is clearly the winner here - but think about it - set your N900 to check for mail every 5 minutes and you're getting mail updates all day long. So you wait a bit longer - but it still beats checking it every 5 minutes on your PC! It still works - and works well!

But what about things where the N900 is better, even when compared to the high-end Android devices? Sharper screen with no pinkish hues of an AMOLEAD? Stereo speakers that actually make movies watchable without headsets? (try the Nexus' monospeaker - you can barely hear it most of the time and the quality is quite low) An easier keyboard? (and I'm not talking just the hardware one, the resistive onscreen kboard is also more precise - than the ultrasensitive capacitive one). Then there's the camera, the dual flash, the built-in storage. N900 is quite up there when it comes to high-end devices.

And don't think the Android guys don't complain and whine because they lack the things Maemo users have. Things such as Xvid support.

In other words - people complain everywhere
It may have been mentioned before, but I actually have the mail the same moment it arrives into the mailbox ... Ive even tried sending mail to myself from another account and it took only few seconds after I pressed the send button to "new mail" beep of N900 ... dont know how is that possible, Ive got it set on 15minutes updates...

Friends E71 behaves the same way btw ...

Dont know why ...

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
(My bold)

I'm going to feel like I'm shooting a puppy for posting this, but your handset doesn't have enough power to send a recognisable signal to outer space. You were receiving a number of signals from medium earth orbit, which your handset correlated to calculate your position. It then downloaded the relevant maps for said position from the 'net. All of which is still amazing enough to justify:
I never understand why so many people think mobilel phone signals go to space.. do they not know what all those towers are for?

I'm pretty sure you could pick up the signal with a big enough aerial, after all we can still pick up voyager, wich iirc we recive the same flux as a mobile on the moon..

Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
I never understand why so many people think mobilel phone signals go to space.. do they not know what all those towers are for?

I'm pretty sure you could pick up the signal with a big enough aerial, after all we can still pick up voyager, wich iirc we recive the same flux as a mobile on the moon..
In theory, yes, though it's a much harder problem than it first appears. We don't just need enough sensitivity to catch the signal, we also need crazy directionality to reject all the other phones broadcasting on the same frequency (in other cells).

In practice, that makes it way too hard.