Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There are people who don't want to be able to use Flash no matter what? That seems like a dumb point of view to me. I think there are many more people who want to disable flash until they actually need it for some reason.
Let's forget about Flash, HTML5 should come to Microb

Is there any way to uninstall Flash on N900/Maemo 5?
There's one. Search the Opera 10 beta thread announcement, there's about 10 more in there - and there are many people that have also requested the Flash plugin.

It's really a dumb point to discuss and antagonize an opinion such as you're doing. You have your opinion, I have mine. It's no big secret that I'm for Flash Player 10.1 - I am an Adobe Flex developer and have recently been publishing all of my content at Flash Player 10 levels.

I personally think it's really dumb to overlook the fact that if you don't like Flash on Maemo, Microb has a disable plugin option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Do you have any stats to backup your opposition? I stated my opinion.

Bluetooth is slower than wi-fi. I'm quite sure you know that by now.
I will not use a PAN protocol to transport half a gig of data; I'd save that for something better suited, like wi-fi.
Can you send data over Wi-Fi? I've been wanting to access my PC using the N900 and vice-versa to transfer files. Used to do that on my N95.

You seem very intelligent and very capable. I wish you luck on your endeavors and I'm quite sure you will get there very soon.

Take care.
Thanks. I only wish I were better at programming. I can edit code and maybe even improve it. Creating..I find it difficult. That's why I went for networking.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
hmmm, silence...
yeah, i had to drive home just kidding, i am done. like has been said many times, different devices for different people.

honestly i would prolly have an iphone if it was available factory unlocked and i could swapsims with it.

i have one for testing support issues at work, but it is just a 2g

yes i have jailbroken and unlocked it and cydia, etc, but it is not optimal and it prevents itunes apps now because i dont feel like upgrading software, then finding jb and unlock for new version again. it has been a year or so but i have tested apps like siphon and funambol client, etc, but it was honestly even a little more hackish using cydia apps than using extras-devel now on n900. maybe it is much better now though.

for my needs, right now n900+e72 is best.

and yes, i am somewhat of a nokia fan. despite being profit driven like any other business, i *think* they have good philosophy toward market and consumers.

lord knows i have plenty of iphone users to admin, but for the way our network is setup at work(syncml,sip,xmpp,webdav) nothing is as plug and go for us as a nokia device.

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
yeah your right. but at least there is a going thread that prospective iphone buyers can use to see if it is for them or not. i wish a threat like this was out when i bought my n900. i still would have bought it though lol but at least i would have felt better about doing it. when you research the companies web sites they only tell you all the goodies. its tough to find all this kinda stuff. now people can google search till this popps up and maybe have a little more perspective n whats "best for them"these small inconveniences that may be a big deal to other people. i think this thread rocks so long as people dont get mean about it.
It was the tone I was talking about. Facts are facts... period.

This thread started off with a bunch of inaccuracies due to lack of experience, research and ultimately a rather sad take on how one OS is better than the other when... neither is really true.

What is best for you might not be best for me. Want "Option 1", so be it. I'm holding out for "Option A". We have different needs. But you better believe that I will do the research to make sure which phone is worth my time as opposed to spew forth a bunch of uneducated opinions and stand behind them like they are facts.

That is what I was saying about this thread. It reads like a badly scripted fanboy thread where it's fine to hate the competition without doing your research whatsoever.

That is what I have a problem with. Don't like something? You're entitled. Don't like something based on facts that you've collected? You're entitled. Don't like something over something you might have heard to be true but didn't take the time to learn if it were 100% true or not? I'd rather err on the side of caution and collect proper data as opposed to spouting something that could be easily corrected but I've dedicated myself to a stance and thus will allow things to dwindle into petty arguments and a shouting match.

Which... this thread will invariably become like the many others before it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by apcoelho View Post
Tired of seeing posts about people saying they will change to iphone, the door is wide open but donīt forget this list of simple stuff Iphone should do and it doesnīt, and N900 does:
I love my N900 but lets face it ... itīs not perfect, has some flaws depending on the needs of its user. Its like buying a Ferrari and say its too noisy or uncomfortable, for that kind of customer you have a Mercedes S500... but will have its flaws too, it wonīt be quick and sporty enough .... Nothing is perfect for everyone.
So, in the interests of fair-mindedness, how about you put up your list of what the N900 should do, but doesn't do (out of the box)?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
for my needs, right now n900+e72 is best.
The e71 has got to be one of my favourite phones, I still have mine! Just hate it when symbian runs out of memory though.

Nothing still beats the feeling of knocking out a message on an e71 or blackberry in portrait mode one handed on the go! Despite Steve Jobs telling us its just a mental thing to get over.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-09 at 00:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I wish I could walk into a store to get help with using my iPhone... oh..OH! I.. I guess I can!
I wish I could get accessories that work well or are made for my iPhone.. I.. guess I can.
I wish I could walk into a store and at LEAST get repairs, parts or even a replacement for my iPhone.. hey, I can!!
...and so can MOST phones except the N900.

I personally don't care for the iPhone.. but this is a silly thread. heh
i think we need a "things the n900 can't do" thread as well lol.. i dont see nothing wrong with pointing out truthfull statistics. it helps us all make better choices and some one is out there right now reading this thread mulling over weather or not the n900 or the iphone is for them. hell they are probably wondering why a thread like this isnt avcailable for the sprint evo since he is the new kid in town. education and information is a GOOD thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I like this thread, and to me it is the equivalent of that thread about "things you should know about the N900 before buying one" or words to that effect, which listed problems with the N900. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, as an old saying goes.

It was the tone I was talking about. Facts are facts... period.

This thread started off with a bunch of inaccuracies due to lack of experience, research and ultimately a rather sad take on how one OS is better than the other when... neither is really true.

What is best for you might not be best for me. Want "Option 1", so be it. I'm holding out for "Option A". We have different needs. But you better believe that I will do the research to make sure which phone is worth my time as opposed to spew forth a bunch of uneducated opinions and stand behind them like they are facts.

That is what I was saying about this thread. It reads like a badly scripted fanboy thread where it's fine to hate the competition without doing your research whatsoever.

That is what I have a problem with. Don't like something? You're entitled. Don't like something based on facts that you've collected? You're entitled. Don't like something over something you might have heard to be true but didn't take the time to learn if it were 100% true or not? I'd rather err on the side of caution and collect proper data as opposed to spouting something that could be easily corrected but I've dedicated myself to a stance and thus will allow things to dwindle into petty arguments and a shouting match.

Which... this thread will invariably become like the many others before it.
ok.. nopw i understand. that makes perfect since. i wonder if we can start some threads (with adequet research of course) listing the things that folks might want to know about. only the stuff that phone A "CANT DO" or things that phone b "CANT DO" i hate when you read these reviews and they are totally one sided you know. imo engadget is one of the ones i am talking about. i wish people could just put the facts out there and let people decide for themselves. i would love a web site that i know i could get a unbiased list of do's and donts. and i dont just mean 5 mp camera or not. i mean intricate things liek some of the stuff mentioned here that will bug the crap out of you afdter you already popped for + 400 bucks on a device. the websites only say the good things. i only want to know the bad things. its easy to find the do's hard to find the don'ts

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Can you send data over Wi-Fi? I've been wanting to access my PC using the N900 and vice-versa to transfer files. Used to do that on my N95.
To be honest, yes I can. On the iPhone I use Air Sharing. It's a paid app... and honestly thanks to this forum, I found out it was nothing more than a light-httpd and nginx (perhaps something else, but my research has led me to that) and I might recreate that functionality of sending/retrieving files via HTTP to a lightweight WebDAV app for the N810 - I don't own a N900, despite access to one.

Simply put, the power of Linux enables something that I use on the iPhone and paid for, for free on the Maemo devices.

Thanks. I only wish I were better at programming. I can edit code and maybe even improve it. Creating..I find it difficult. That's why I went for networking.
Takes time. Knowing programming at least helps you on your networking. There are times you will have to script out things. Keep plugging away.

You'll get there.

Tags
this is so sad