Notices

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ St Albans, UK
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
Help me also. I need sticky Alt button added to toolbar (like the control key).
May I ask what you want the Alt key for? Usually if you press Alt+<letter> then xterm will send <escape> <letter> (i.e. an escape character followed by the letter) to the application. So having an Alt key on the menu bar wouldn't be much more useful than having the Esc key that's there by default. For example, in Emacs, to type M-x (for which you'd normally type Alt+x) you can press Escape then X.

Or did you need it for something else that this wouldn't work for?

The Following User Says Thank You to psmears For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poland
I altered the keybar by adding a bar and greater symbol.
[Tab,Escape,bar,greater,Page_Up,Page_Down]
[Tab,Esc,|,>,PgUp,PgDn]

But then a strange situation - the marking arrow on right side of keybar has disappered!
Just to be sure, I reboot device, but still the same.

Only when I make fullscreen and then un-fullscreen does the arrow appear.

Anyone can confirm this problem? Or is it only me?

filed a bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10058

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I made a few 2-letter scripts to control the xterm keys bar, at:
http://sam.nipl.net/code/n900-x/
fs - fullscreen - hides the keys bar
tb - toolbar - shows the keys bar
kd - Tab Esc PgUp PgDn - keys default
ks - Esc < > | ^ % ~ - keys shell (I use ctrl-i for tab)
kc - | { } [ ] < > - keys C (ctrl-c in vim acts like Esc)
kb - Esc [ ] < > | % - keys brace (or python)
kv - Tab < > | dn up cr - keys virtual - (for shell with virtual kbd)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sswam For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the thanks, and thanks to everyone else who's been working on this! A bit more about my keybar scripts, I made one for each of my major use cases: shell, C, python, virtual kbd. Where I need more symbols than would fit, I got rid of Tab, Esc, PgUp, PgDn, which are less important for me, and can largely be emulated with other key presses (ctrl-I, and ctrl-C, ctrl-U, ctrl-D in vim). I commonly use ctrl-I even on a normal kbd as it seems a bit less of a stretch than Tab. I don't remember that anyone else was removing those Tab, Esc, PgUp, PgDn key bar buttons, so this is a bit different. I was able to fit all the major extra symbols I need for C and shell programming onto the key bars, except % for C's printf. I'm happy enough to press "Sym" a pick that off the symbols popup! I guess I'm keen to get the keyboard working as well as possible because my laptop recently died so I've been coding a lot on the phone

Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
I'm sure Xterm can be recompiled with modified features... the joys of FOSS.
I'd really like to be able to re-compile xterm to make the button bar a bit thinner / more compact / fit more buttons on it. I had a look at the source and unfortunately it's not obvious to me how that can be achieved. Perhaps it's a theme issue, could we create a theme with narrower or more compressed toolbars? That might break a whole lot of other things though, or need smaller icons.

Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
It would be neat to have new xterm package with configurable toolbar (keys and visibility toggle) in meamo extras repository. I am guessing that sending patches to Nokia will not lead to a new osso-xterm package in any sane time.
I think it would be cool to have one where you can switch between multiple toolbars for different activities. I do this with scripts at the moment, but it would be nice to have that on the menu. We need a key / gesture to restore the toolbars, as if they are gone you can't get to the menu to do so! or maybe a "hold touch" / right click menu like microb has?

I couple other things, I didn't put backtick ` on my shell keybar because we can use $(foo) in bash, and that's nestable too. Here's the code from my scripts:

Code:
# fs: fullscreen
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/toolbar -t bool "false"  

# tb: show toolbar
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/toolbar -t bool "true"

# kd: default keys:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,PgUp,PgDn]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Escape,Page_Up,Page_Down]"

# ks: shell keys
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Esc,<,>,|,^,%,~]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Escape,less,greater,bar,asciicircum,percent,asciitilde]"

# kc: C keys
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[|,{,},\[,\],<,>]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[bar,braceleft,braceright,bracketleft,bracketright,less,greater]"

# kb: brace / python keys
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Esc,\[,\],<,>,|,%]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Escape,bracketleft,bracketright,less,greater,bar,percent]"

# kv: key bar to help when using the virtual keyboard
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,<,>,|,dn,up,cr]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,less,greater,bar,Down,Up,KP_Enter]"
http://sam.nipl.net/code/n900-x/

Have fun!

Last edited by sswam; 2010-06-09 at 09:55. Reason: fix layout

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sswam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ planet earth i guess
hi

for the once facing the problem when beeing in real full screen (no top and bottom bar) here a short cut:

get yourselfs xbindkeys and wmctrl for n900 and create a file .xbindkeysrc in your home dir.

from .profile start xbindkeys and shortcut shift+enter toggles top bar on/off

---------.xbindkeysrc--------
"wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen"
shift + KP_Enter
----------------------------------

ps: works for all applications - great for rss reader - anyway did not figure out a place to autstart it. i tried to start from system profile but it does not work. so for now i open xterm once and it works - here it calls xbindkeys via .profile file.

have fun

Last edited by -miniME-; 2010-08-07 at 19:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to -miniME- For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I altered the keybar by adding a bar and greater symbol.
[Tab,Escape,bar,greater,Page_Up,Page_Down]
[Tab,Esc,|,>,PgUp,PgDn]

But then a strange situation - the marking arrow on right side of keybar has disappered!
Just to be sure, I reboot device, but still the same.

Only when I make fullscreen and then un-fullscreen does the arrow appear.

Anyone can confirm this problem? Or is it only me?

filed a bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10058
I'm having the same problem. Can anyone please help us with this??

Here is the code by kwotski which I used

Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
Code:
~ $ gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Escape,bar,greater,asciitilde,dead_grave,asciicircum]"
~ $ gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,|,>,~,\`,^]"

Friends,

Does anyone know how to add "Control C" to the bar?