So I tried searching but cudn't find it, maybe I should have tried a little harder. Ok so im trying to find any method or app that will allow me to download the files from my pc(movies,music,photos,a whole folder,basicly any file whether supported or not by the N900) to my N900 onboard disk over my private wifi(home network)?

I know the media player suppprts streaming but im looking for way to have physical copy of the file on the hard disk.An app like a file manager which has a download file option.

If there is a way round it I bet you have an answer for the vice versa too.

cheers

Last edited by JR99; 2010-06-10 at 02:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to JR99 For This Useful Post:
1. Enable media sharing in Windows Media Player (if applicable) and allow all devices.

2. Open File Manager on the 900, and select "Shared Media"

3. Drill down to the folder storing your desired file, and at the top of the window, press "File Manager", then select "Copy".

4. Select/highlight your file(s), press "copy", and then select the destination.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
rsync or scp are the usual ways i think. you have to install some other stuff if your pc is windows probably to get those to run, not sure.

maybe you could run a web server too and have a page like directory listing with all the files and wget mirror one level deep to the device

you could also maybe install a syncml server on pc and use a syncml file source to sync files

f you install an aftermarket kernel or add kernel mods for cifs support, i think you could use wizard mounter for cifs shares and just use copy paste

there are probably more ways too

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JR99 View Post
So I tried searching but cudn't find it, maybe I should have tried a little harder. Ok so im trying to find any method or app that will allow me to download the files from my pc(movies,music,photos,a whole folder,basicly any file whether supported or not by the N900) to my N900 onboard disk over my private wifi(home network)?

I know the media player suppprts streaming but im looking for way to have physical copy of the file on the hard disk.An app like a file manager which has a download file option.

If there is a way round it I bet you have an answer for the vice versa too.

cheers
Use SFTP. You can transfer file between the N900 and PC back and forth. Just Google "N900 SFTP Filezilla".

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nomad
scp is a nice way... Its easy to install on any linux distribution and also on the n900. Theres a tutorial for windows also.

What I did yesterday... install from App manager the 3 OpenSSH packages... it will prompt you to set root password. Open X-term and type ifconfig. Take note of your ip address.

Go to your PC, install WinSCP (assuming Windows OS). Using the ip address noted and root login, you can connect and transfer your files.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by dh3x; 2010-06-10 at 03:07. Reason: or just hit the link above by realitygaps

yep, scp is the best and most secure way. else, use ftp which is a bit faster since it's unsecured (assuming your wifi is already secured so not much point adding another layer of security unless you're paranoid).

alternatively, email the files to yourself. (low tech but works anyway!)

btw, you still can't beat the speed of the USB cable (easily >4-5mb/s vs 400-500k/s on scp). small files are ok but media files can be a pain to move to the device over wifi using scp.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by droll View Post
yep, scp is the best and most secure way. else, use ftp which is a bit faster since it's unsecured (assuming your wifi is already secured so not much point adding another layer of security unless you're paranoid).
Yes, but you can install an SFTP server on the PC. Just make sure that you set your FTP client to SFTP (or Port 22 (versus 21 for unsecure FTP), if it doesn't give you the SFTP option directly), if you want security. If you're using Linux on the PC, then in many distributions, SFTP is enabled when you install OpenSSH. I'd assume that if there's a Windows port/variant of the OpenSSH server, or if you use Cygwin or something, that you could do the same thing there. Alternatively, just find a standalone SFTP server.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
install ssshd on nokia n900 and winscp on windows .. connect the both device , u will get explorer like interface where u can copy paste all files

The Following User Says Thank You to rohanhole For This Useful Post:
Interesting thread. May be a necessary solution for me as I can no longer connect to PC due to faulty usb port.