Active Topics

Closed Thread
Couple proximity with low intensity (I used a penny to illustrate this, versus 1 GBP or 1 million dollars), the offence of checking emails of another person's wifi connection is of an extremely low magnitude.
Hah..I see the issue, no wonder this caught the attention of our senior member. Spelling issue, "of" should be spelled "off"...

Oh pot, give it a rest already, your right as usual and we are all not worthy.

Penguinbait, who's pot? Be careful with your spelling, a senior member might read "your right" not as "you're right", but infer that you are talking about your right hand...

I will also rest my case, as you can never win these discussions..

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
A couple of points are sticking out in my mind and I don't think they've been addressed by others, yet:

The FCC and accepting interference: if I could demonstrate that my neighbour's WiFi spoiled my soufflé, I'd still have grounds under the common law to seek damages. The FCC may be a regulator, but they aren't the only authority. If they were, after all, we could just call unauthorized use of an open access point "interference" and say that you have to live with it.

Permission: Do I have permission to view this Web site? I've cavalierly assumed that an open port is an invitation to send requests for pages. Since the intent of the law is not to criminalize Web browsing, it must be the case that sending a request for a connection on port 80 constitutes a request for permission, and an accepted connection implies that permission has been granted. You can argue that accepting the TCP/IP connection is merely an invitation to make a further request at the HTTP level, but it boils down to the same thing. Similarly, then, I think that it's reasonable to suppose that a WiFi access point is fair game if it is accessible by customary means as set out within the standard that defines the protocol, and if no other illegal, immoral, or fattening behaviour is necessary to effect the connection. If the connection is secured, even laughably poorly, the presumption has to be that you're not welcome.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, the points have been addressed. One applauded, one soundly debunked. Your mission, should you decide to accept it: figure out which is which!

This thread should self-destruct in 5 seconds. It really should. Hell, 3 even.

Originally Posted by Eric S. Smith View Post
A couple of points are sticking out in my mind and I don't think they've been addressed by others, yet:

The FCC and accepting interference: if I could demonstrate that my neighbour's WiFi spoiled my soufflé, I'd still have grounds under the common law to seek damages. The FCC may be a regulator, but they aren't the only authority. If they were, after all, we could just call unauthorized use of an open access point "interference" and say that you have to live with it.

Permission: Do I have permission to view this Web site? I've cavalierly assumed that an open port is an invitation to send requests for pages. Since the intent of the law is not to criminalize Web browsing, it must be the case that sending a request for a connection on port 80 constitutes a request for permission, and an accepted connection implies that permission has been granted. You can argue that accepting the TCP/IP connection is merely an invitation to make a further request at the HTTP level, but it boils down to the same thing. Similarly, then, I think that it's reasonable to suppose that a WiFi access point is fair game if it is accessible by customary means as set out within the standard that defines the protocol, and if no other illegal, immoral, or fattening behaviour is necessary to effect the connection. If the connection is secured, even laughably poorly, the presumption has to be that you're not welcome.
Everybody is missing the point, you aren't just connecting to "the internet"! You're connecting to someone's private home network. Unless you go up and knock on the door, assuming you even know where the wireless is even coming from, and ask them if it's okay to use, or it's named "free open wifi" you're breaking the law. Just because it's open doesn't mean you can just hop on. They might not know any better, most don't.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Everybody is missing the point, you aren't just connecting to "the internet"! You're connecting to someone's private home network.
That's always the case, though. There is no "the Internet" -- it's a bunch of networks, and they all belong to somebody, and they're interconnected under various terms, some commercial, some co-operative. We don't really notice this because, guess what, we just fling packets without phoning each other up first to ask for permission. Either we're all breaking various laws, or permission is given automatically.

Unless you go up and knock on the door,
Well, hang on, if I go up to their door, I'm on their property, am I not? How is knocking on the door better than remotely requesting a WiFi connection and DHCP from an automated system that advertises its availability?

or it's named "free open wifi"
Are you sure? Maybe it got that name by accident. And who gave you permission to intercept transmissions containing the SSID in the first place?

They might not know any better, most don't.
Ignorance is now an excuse? Excellent. I didn't know about the law, then.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Everybody is missing the point, you aren't just connecting to "the internet"! You're connecting to someone's private home network. Unless you go up and knock on the door, assuming you even know where the wireless is even coming from, and ask them if it's okay to use, or it's named "free open wifi" you're breaking the law. Just because it's open doesn't mean you can just hop on. They might not know any better, most don't.
Boo-hoo-hoo.... ;( cry about it. we're not missing any point - no one cares. Knock on the door - funny. Lock your network or stop complaining - read the manual and if you can't read maybe you shouldn't have the internet or a wireless router in the first place. internet should just die anyway, everyone is getting to lazy. when last have you been to the library instead of sitting on your fat as* on wikipedia - more to life than internet convenience. read a book instead of an e-book on your $400 IT. HAHA! Losers.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-08-25 at 03:37.

If you don't f*ing secure your wireless access points then it's assume you want it open to the public...why else would you do that. So there's no breaking the law here. Just friendly people who wants to share their internet connections.
"less is like more but better"

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
Boo-hoo-hoo.... ;( cry about it. we're not missing any point - no one cares. Knock on the door - funny. Lock your network or stop complaining - read the manual and if you can't read maybe you shouldn't have the internet or a wireless router in the first place. internet should just die anyway, everyone is getting to lazy. when last have you been to the library instead of sitting on your fat as* on wikipedia - more to life than internet convenience. read a book instead of an e-book on your $400 IT. HAHA! Losers.

Where did you ever see that my network is open? Wikipeda is a joke. So are e-books. This thread, just like many others I've seen just puts it back into perspective. The world is full of a bunch of freeloading scum sucking thieves. Maybe if you looked at my profile, you'd see that I probably know more about networking and wireless networking than you do. ****ing *****. Some one close this thread, it's bringing down the IQ of the forum.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Where did you ever see that my network is open? Wikipeda is a joke. So are e-books. This thread, just like many others I've seen just puts it back into perspective. The world is full of a bunch of freeloading scum sucking thieves. Maybe if you looked at my profile, you'd see that I probably know more about networking and wireless networking than you do. ****ing *****. Some one close this thread, it's bringing down the IQ of the forum.
yes all mighty one, king of all networks and wireless routers. we do as you say and bow down. haha - loser (barry99705 - more like barrycock99705) let me guess, you've never downloaded anything in your life that was copyright protected. haha - i bet you are a fat black hat that eats potato chips while watching downloaded episodes of 24 from torrentleech or piratebay.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-08-25 at 22:08.

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
yes all mighty one, king of all networks and wireless routers. we do as you say and bow down. haha - loser (barry99705 - more like barrycock99705) let me guess, you've never downloaded anything in your life that was copyright protected. haha - i bet you are a fat black hat that eats potato chips while watching downloaded episodes of 24 from torrentleech or piratebay.

Whatever. No, I don't steal music/movies. 24 is probably one of the lamest shows on tv now. Not that it matters. I don't watch tv.

Closed Thread