Conspiracy Theory (cont.)

Yeah, they'll come to my door without a search warrant and look through my stuff. Then they'll confiscate my encryption-capable vanilla MeeGo n900, but they'll let me keep all my ammo, the 4 Glocks, the 10 AK-47s and my iPhone.

Do you think your iPhone is ever really off? If only it was a little easier to get to the battery(s)...

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hah.

I'm on Apple's side in regards to the gizmodo debacle. The thief's own roommate called Apple and pretty much confessed about the whole thing because she's afraid to be charged as an accessory to that whole crap.

I've turned off the iPhone for a couple of days and it preserved the battery charge at similar level to how I left it. Given how fast it drains through a single charge, I'd say "yeah, it was off alright"

Those midnight calls made by iPhones may explain the weird overnight battery drain issues reported by some people...

Whatever the true cause of this (intelligence gathering, usage reporting, bug reports), it must be a buggy one. A properly designed one wouldn't need to send as much data as the reported sizes (+40MB??).... and I don't think it has happened before the 3.1.3 OS?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I actually owned an iphone and will never buy one again regardless of how pretty it looks for a number of reasons:
  • Need to find a work around to copy files to it.
  • Tied to itunes.
  • Cannot but one then get up and running without syncing with itunes?
  • Cannot update\patch without itunes.
  • Copied (synced) photos cannot be deleted on the phone.
  • Need a third party app to do anything with files and then you often have to copy the photos to the app. The same file in multiple places on the same device??
  • Cannot copy music to it on the fly. Drag and drop.
  • Cannot copy music from it.
  • I was tied to windows just to sync my phone.
  • Multitasking, flexibility, openness ..... the list goes on

Granted there are workarounds to many of these but it's a scattergun approach. Use dropbox, evernote, goodreader, google, mobileme etc and they are not linked.
Now as a device itself as a phone is a very good piece of kit but for me it's useless. However, it was never marketed or designed for someone like me. My wife and my parents have iphones and it is perfect for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Simplest solution is to install iphone explorer to drag and drop files.

For root access you can ssh using winscp or JB and use iphone explorer.

iFile deletes stuff on your phone.

I don't use itunes to manage my music, I use:

SharePod (works on iphone too) to drag and drop but yeah you have to look around for alternatives

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-12 at 11:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ ,, Earth !
me: Hey that song is cool , send it over

F: With what ? eMail is going to take a while and you have to have an iTunes on your PC or Mac

me: what ? dont you have bluetooth ?

F: Are you kidding ? there is no phone that dosent have bluetooth .. we're in 2010 !

me: then send it with bluetooth , DUH !

F: ummm , bluetooth is for plugin speakers and headsets , it isn't meant for sharing , dude what the hell ?

me: Since when ?

Steve Jobs : Since I Washed They're Minds !!

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Simplest solution is to install iphone explorer to drag and drop files.

For root access you can ssh using winscp or JB and use iphone explorer.

iFile deletes stuff on your phone.

I don't use itunes to manage my music, I use:

SharePod (works on iphone too) to drag and drop but yeah you have to look around for alternatives
That sounds easy ! , oh wait ! you can't With The New iPhone 3Gs bootloader that was specially made to fight jailbreaks !

*slurp*
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Indeed, cant wait to see PDF's.

I am going to house it in a flip wallet with this keyboard I ordered (integrated bluetooth keyboard support in OS4). 7mm and 45g only. Same dimensions as iphone. USB charged.

And this retractable capacitive stylus which attaches to the 3.5mm headphone port.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-13 at 16:04.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
The Iphone4 designed is sexy and the muscles inside it is damn good cuts. But the OS itself is too closed and clotted up with MAC proprietary apps and rules. If there is a way to somewhat flash the device and put MeeGo or Maemo5 on it then I would love too get it

I got to say Nokia need to hire a new designer for their next phones. Their designed is basically getting out dated in this century.

Please NOKIA, design something as slim as an Iphone 4 and as powerful but more powerful.. with multi-touch resistive please

12Mpx + xeon flash please! HDMI out please!!1GB of Physical RAM DROOLING!!

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
12Mpx + xeon flash please! HDMI out please!!1GB of Physical RAM DROOLING!!
Why would you want a 12Mpx camera on a non-DSLR?
The filesizes will be considerably bigger (eats more storage, takes longer to send, takes longer to process, etc) with arguably no appreciable increase of quality. All cons and no pros.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lynjar View Post
However, it was never marketed or designed for someone like me. My wife and my parents have iphones and it is perfect for them.
Yep... there are a LOT of them. A handful of us. Kinda makes sense, from a "sell a lot of devices" perspective.

Which gets me back to "we need something that has all this POWER, with a nice, easy, comfy, safe wrapper around it" point.

The n900 has too many sharp edges for the average user who wants more then a smart dumbphone.

I've been playing with meego, and I think it could be good... the comfy safe padding gets in MY way a little, but not too much, and if I don't try and peel off the pads then its a pretty good experience, at least on a netbook.

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever