Notices

Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
That's possible, it'd mean there weren't any errors reported, which also means I have no idea why the widget would stay black .
As a long shot, try:
rm .feedingit/widget
says cannot remove, no such file or directory? That is wierd cause I see the Feedingit app in the menu and I opened it today and it loaded up fine which allowed me to change and add feeds etc but the widget still doesnt work. odd

Hi all! First I would like to say a big thankyou to slocan for FeedingIt - it is an awesome piece of work and one of the most heavily used apps on my N900. I really love it.

Of course there are - like always - small things that would make my user experience even better. Maybe there is room to include some of my suggestions:

1) I would like to have an option "Update feeds on startup". My usecase is that I am not running FeedingIt permanently but on demand. I would like it to update feeds automatically on startup (if connection available).

2) As I am reading feeds thru aggregators like planet maemo or my own aggregated news thru google reader feeds, I would like to see the original author/feed (maybe URI-link) in the FeedingIt-Header of the article (maybe same line as the articles date). Would this be possible?

3) I really like the possibility to follow links directly in FeedingIt. However, sometimes the integrated "browser" is not powerful enough; then I select "open with browser". It would be cool imho if then the browser is not opened with the original articles uri but with the current uri in FeedingIt.

4) (Guess this is the most advanced wish): a synchronization with google reader would make FeedingIt nearly perfect for me.

Again thank you guys for your wonderful work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modeless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
@ffarber: 0.7.0-4 got pushed last night to -devel. It contains a fix for wordpress blogs which were using compressed pages. I think that should fix what you were experiencing.

@modeless: Your point 3 has been added too. The external browser button opens the current page now. There is also a new option to open all links in the external browser by default.

That version also contains some improvements to the widget when there aren't any feeds added/updated in the main application yet. This is what badboyuk was experiencing.
Also, Thp made some more improvements to the UI, and Njsf added an option to sort the feed list based on number of unread message or on the time a new article was last fetched.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
@ffarber: 0.7.0-4 got pushed last night to -devel. It contains a fix for wordpress blogs which were using compressed pages. I think that should fix what you were experiencing.
Slocan-

That is awesome. I will check it out as soon as I can. I am having a bit of a problem. I may have mentioned that I am on a cross-country motorcycle trip but I crashed pretty badly (I'm fine, the bike is not. For details see flfpgl.blogspot.com (the crash is on day 12) if you are interested) and the charger ripped out the charging port on the phone. I am finally somewhere that FedEx can reach me and have received an off-line charger that is currently putting 200ma into the battery so it is taking some time). I should be able to check it out later tonight.

Thanks again,
Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Slocan,
Thanks for adding the ability to open links in the external browser. This is very cool - the app can be a bit sensitive though and if your swipe was not enough you can end up accidentally opening the browser but this is very minor!

I did notice some weird behaviour this morning though - I have it set to hide read items and when I tried to swipe left to go back to the previous article instead of going back to the previously read one it was looping around to the previously unread article.

Also is there any way that feedingit can make an internet connection if one is not available (using the default connection settings?) - I do manual updates and because I am running autodisconnect I first have to make the connection each morning, start feedingit and then do a manual update - I like modeless's suggestion for update on startup above.

Awesome application though, By far the best RSS reader on the n900 - thanks for all the hard work, I very much appreciate it!

The Following User Says Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
I did notice some weird behaviour this morning though - I have it set to hide read items and when I tried to swipe left to go back to the previous article instead of going back to the previously read one it was looping around to the previously unread article.
Njsf, who had developed that feature, just submitted a patch to fix this very issue. It'll be added soon.

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Also is there any way that feedingit can make an internet connection if one is not available (using the default connection settings?) - I do manual updates and because I am running autodisconnect I first have to make the connection each morning, start feedingit and then do a manual update - I like modeless's suggestion for update on startup above.
I might suggest to use a scheduler, or a desktop shortcut, to start a script that could look like:
Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
FeedingIt update
That should connect you to an available network, and update your feeds in the background. If you don't want it in the background, something like the following should work:
Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
FeedingIt status
FeedingIt update

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
loving this app, it caters for my rss feed needs entirely, but can i just ask about something thats been bugging me for a long time,
when i swipe for the next article, it doesnt swipe in it just appears, and when you swipe for the atricle before, the article swipes in from the wrong side. do you know what i mean, is it just on my phone or is it with everyones?

The Following User Says Thank You to dscobsct For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
when i swipe for the next article, it doesnt swipe in it just appears, and when you swipe for the atricle before, the article swipes in from the wrong side. do you know what i mean, is it just on my phone or is it with everyones?
Short answer: that's the way it was designed, but it might change soonish.

Long answer: they are not swipes in the same sense as the Photo app (where you "turn the page"), but more like gestures (in the sense that a gesture is just a shortcut to a button), so they are backwards to what seems to be the norm nowadays. But I didn't know any better at the time. I've been giving it some thought recently, and as time allows, this might change.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
thank you, it was just puzzling me since one kinda swipes in from the wrong side and one just appears. but great app mate, one to be proud of.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
nice app, but I was hoping to have multiple instances of the widget each showing the contents of different feeds. I guess I couldn't have very many, but it would be nice for at least my e-mail.