Active Topics

Maybe theres life in the old dog? this may well give the N900 its second lease of life.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Imperiallight, try reading the reviews of the masses online, you will find they are fascinated by this device.
The dream has always been to have a desktop experience 24-7 so I am not surprised that they are fascinated. Feed people what they want to hear and they will want it.

But at the end of the day the buy and sell section of this and many other forums as well as the threads started on here gives another angle to the debate regarding user experience once the said people actually have it.

Technically ASDA is the Wal*Mart of the UK..
By definition this is true, lol (Walmart owns it in case people are wondering).

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-14 at 23:37.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@enyibinakata: all 4 iphone entries are rated higher than the n900 on that reevoo site.. I don't get how it 'beats the iPhone in ratings'...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
The dream has always been to have a desktop experience on your phone so I am not surprised that they are fascinated. Feed people what they want to hear and they will buy it.

But at the end of the day the buy and sell section of this and many other forums as well as the threads started on here gives another angle to the debate.

By definition this is true, lol (Walmart owns it in case people are wondering).
buy and sell of tech forums says more about the voracious appetite of geeks for the latest tech. Geeks like to drool over the new even when it offers nothing more than the old. What has the HTC Desire really got above the N95? - yes its faster and sleeker but not more functional as a phone, camera, bluetooth support, sound/stereo speakers is no better etc No wonder I still see a lot of N95's on the London tube. The masses are not so dumb trust me.

Rant over. Good night.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@enyibinakata: all 4 iphone entries are rated higher than the n900 on that reevoo site.. I don't get how it 'beats the iPhone in ratings'...
I was refering to yourmobilephonereviews.com. You can also try Amazon.co.uk N900 5 stars iPhone 3GS 3 and a quarter . Ok I'm getting childish here but my point is that the N900 is better than most geeks here make it out to be and geeks are not the best to pass judgements because their expectations are higher and they hardly look for value but are quick to lust after the next big thing.

Just look at iPhone 3GS in Amazon UK £639 vs £397 of N900. The iPhone memory tops out at 16GB with non removable battery but the N900 well you know. I know a lot of ppl who value storage capacity
more than pinch-zoom because they just want to store their music collection etc.

All I'm saying is, dont assume a sense of superiority of geeks over the man in the street, as he knows value when he sees it and do care about features over asthetics .

If you are still wondering why Nokia sells more than the pretenders, I hope I've answered that question.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
TBH, now PR1.2 is out, this is a good move. The phone is much more saleable now to the masses than before.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
@enyibinakata: lol, I don't see why you need to use so many charged words when discussing something that can be objectively measured. I get why many people here hates the US bloggers/tech sites because they generally report US sentiments which are not shared by their worldwide counterparts, but there's no need to drop down to their level and muddle all discussions thereafter

Nokia sells more than 'the pretenders' because they've such a longer head start (established brand name in that market segment, have a wider distribution channels, bigger workforce and organization size in general, etc). Many of the news bits making a fuss of RIMM/Apple/Android take this into account, how such 'newbie' to this sector can beat Nokia growth numbers so quickly.

It's also an oft-seen occurrence that an incumbent player slacks off due to them getting comfy with their favorable position. I guess that's also a popular angle to take when reporting a david vs goliath story.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I think the biggest issue here is how people plan on using it. If they're happy with sticking with default apps and what's enabled in Extras only (no devel, no testing, no kernel hacking...) it's really a pretty stable phone.

Most of the people who come here to whine do so after they've done something to really screw up the device (like installing a ton of devel apps, or trying to flash a leaked firmware). If you just use the stuff on it, and maybe grab Angry Birds from the OVI store and fMMS from Extras, your device is going to run really well and do just about everything the common person wants it to.

I do think this means we need to find a new way of dealing with people coming here to ask for help and/or complain about things, because this will increase the number of people doing that. (Anything that increases ownership of any device will cause this in any associated forum.)

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@enyibinakata: lol, I don't see why you need to use so many charged words when discussing something that can be objectively measured. I get why many people here hates the US bloggers/tech sites because they generally report US sentiments which are not shared by their worldwide counterparts, but there's no need to drop down to their level and muddle all discussions thereafter

Nokia sells more than 'the pretenders' because they've such a longer head start (established brand name in that market segment, have a wider distribution channels, bigger workforce and organization size in general, etc). Many of the news bits making a fuss of RIMM/Apple/Android take this into account, how such 'newbie' to this sector can beat Nokia growth numbers so quickly.

It's also an oft-seen occurrence that an incumbent player slacks off due to them getting comfy with their favorable position. I guess that's also a popular angle to take when reporting a david vs goliath story.
Dont see how I muddled anything here. Nokia phones are priced to sell and represent good value; thats my point. Moto has been in the game longer than Nokia and were once No 1 so time in market has little to do with it. Nokia has the brand, dist power etc but you are missing the point, value is key. Apple and RIM are way overpriced for what they offer. Also I am not sure they have 'beaten' Nokia sales numbers - with 400 million phones sold, 40 percent smartphone market ? .

What exactly is your point here ?.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Dont see how I muddled anything here. Nokia phones are priced to sell and represent good value; thats my point. Moto has been in the game longer than Nokia and were once No 1 so time in market has little to do with it. Nokia has the brand, dist power etc but you are missing the point, value is key. Apple and RIM are way overpriced for what they offer. Also I am not sure they have 'beaten' Nokia sales numbers - with 400 million phones sold, 40 percent smartphone market ?
Good value is subjective. If you're talking about hardware spec, then I agree with your assessment. As far as the value from the the complete user's experience is concerned.. then that's up for debate. (Purchasing, resale value, software included, interoperability with your desktop/notebook, 3rd party support... etc).

Moto dropped their ball and I think you're mistaken if you think being longer in a market and being the incumbent torch bearer doesn't have anything to do having an advantage against newcomer to the market.

Apple is relatively overpriced, but they have always aimed for the top end of the market on all their offerings so it's consistent with their past marketing strategy. Surprisingly, they almost always lead with customer satisfaction despite the price tag.
RIMM represents good value if you're looking at the total cost of ownership of a RIMM-based fleet in an enterprise. Something that the N900 is sorely lacking, unfortunately.

Nokia actually grew their smartphone market share by 1 to 41% last quarter, but their average sell price has also lowered by a considerable amount (190E to 150E)... so that must be a big factor of their current strategy of maintaining their market foothold.

What exactly is your point here ?.
I started out by pointing out an inconsistency of your earlier claim and I made a few replies afterward, trying to give some context and objectivity to 'the naysayers'.. .that they're not completely spewing bollocks.