Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Ouch! From a high of $40 a share in 2008, to $8 a share today. Not cool if you are a shareholder.
Very cool though if you sold close to that $40 and are buying now.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Is Nokia's position in low-end/mid-market any better than in high-end smartphone segment?

I'd think the competition from the far-eastern companies will be tougher than ever.
Low end has been doing great for Nokia in certain markets. They have struggled in the midrange but mainly because it's disappearing as they knew it in their mature markets. Smartphones are pushing down into the midrange and changing the game. Nokia WILL do well there, but not for a year or so.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-16 at 17:35.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I STILL don't get your argument.
Very well. I'm going to stop now, since I'd rather not have to defend the N900 and my preference for it over Android against all comers, especially here (this site must be packed with more N900/Maemo haters than anywhere else.) Suffice it to say, I see much more value in a software stack that doesn't reinvent the wheel and isn't wholly controlled by a single entity.

This is why I'll sooner put my efforts behind MeeGo, underdog that it is, than anything Android.

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Here is Symbian ^4 user interface

Symbian^4 will offer redesigned user experience

- simplified interaction with beautiful interface.
Will the new Symbian OS on the N8 be able to run current Symbian apps? I'm suffering from Slingmobile withdrawl.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Very cool though if you sold close to that $40 and are buying now.
Yes, indeed. I think we can sell it for 40 in few years, just have to find lowast possible price. don't forget that Ericsson(before SonyEricsson) stock almost hit 0 ten years ago.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Very well. I'm going to stop now, since I'd rather not have to defend the N900 and my preference for it over Android against all comers, especially here (this site must be packed with more N900/Maemo haters than anywhere else.) Suffice it to say, I see much more value in a software stack that doesn't reinvent the wheel and isn't wholly controlled by a single entity.

This is why I'll sooner put my efforts behind MeeGo, underdog that it is, than anything Android.
Good luck.. I sincerely hope you succeed because it kills me that Nokia's ruined what HAD been a GREAT platform.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Low end has been doing great for Nokia in certain markets. They have struggled in the midrange but mainly because it's disappearing as they knew it in their mature markets. Smartphones are pushing down into the midrange and changing the game. Nokia WILL do well there, but not for a year or so.
Yeah, they had several things going for the low/mid-range crowd:

1. Great brand name recognition known as segment leader
2. Great UI from symbian
3. Great build quality

I think #1 is being seriously challenged by the increasingly viable competitions (in respective segments) and also by Nokia's receding leadership in the high-end segment. The high end smartphones have always been the showcase of new technology and they obviously can get a LOT of free publicity by playing well in that segment. Unfortunately it's affecting them negatively lately.

They still lead #2 in low/mid range, but as you said the mid is disappearing and Android is going mid/low to challenge them...

They still have #3, although the competitions don't seem to have problem with this.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What kills me is that Nokia doesn't even have to provide an OS at all, if they bothered to sell us a completely open platform. If they simply said, 'Here.. here's a great piece of hardware and here's the whitepapers for all the hardware, some sample driver code... HAVE AT IT!', they could have put more of their resources toward making EXCELLENT hardware and could have no given a damn about how the OS was turning out and it would have looked a lot more like the desktop Linux platform where businesses bought the hardware for their utility and the individuals bought it as an enthusiast's platform to develop as a possible solution for their fellow users.

Ugh. Whatever, man. Nokia missed such good opportunities so badly.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yeah, they had several things going for the low/mid-range crowd:

1. Great brand name recognition known as segment leader
2. Great UI from symbian
3. Great build quality

I think #1 is being seriously challenged by the increasingly viable competitions (in respective segments) and also by Nokia's receding leadership in the high-end segment. The high end smartphones have always been the showcase of new technology and they obviously can get a LOT of free publicity by playing well in that segment. Unfortunately it's affecting them negatively lately.

They still lead #2 in low/mid range, but as you said the mid is disappearing and Android is going mid/low to challenge them...

They still have #3, although the competitions don't seem to have problem with this.
so you say "had" but then expound upon that by saying basically they still "have".

Anyway, their strategy in this respect is qwerty+touchscreen s40 devices even cheaper through standardized outsourced chipsets and bundled with a stack of nokia services. So if you are in kenya, you will soon be able to get, just as cheap as most any phone on the market, an s40 device with touchscreen, qwerty, dual sim, navigation, life tools, long battery, etc etc.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
so you say "had" but then expound upon that by saying basically they still "have".

Anyway, their strategy in this respect is qwerty+touchscreen s40 devices even cheaper through standardized outsourced chipsets and bundled with a stack of nokia services. So if you are in kenya, you will soon be able to get, just as cheap as most any phone on the market, an s40 device with touchscreen, qwerty, dual sim, navigation, life tools, long battery, etc etc.
Please excuse my faux pas, english isn't my first language.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What kills me is that Nokia doesn't even have to provide an OS at all, if they bothered to sell us a completely open platform. If they simply said, 'Here.. here's a great piece of hardware and here's the whitepapers for all the hardware, some sample driver code... HAVE AT IT!', they could have put more of their resources toward making EXCELLENT hardware and could have no given a damn about how the OS was turning out and it would have looked a lot more like the desktop Linux platform where businesses bought the hardware for their utility and the individuals bought it as an enthusiast's platform to develop as a possible solution for their fellow users.

Ugh. Whatever, man. Nokia missed such good opportunities so badly.
I would say that the n900 is probably as close as we will ever get to that for quite a while

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen