Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
100% open-source would be a good start. A device DESIGNED around open-source (instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole) would go leaps and bounds toward that.
Wasn't that the ultimate goal of Mer? or at least as much as possible.

Since the base ran on both the N8x0 and the N900, it may be time to give stskeeps another call.

Sod Nokia! - Use Mer as a base, and build a common Desktop environment on top which will work on both N8x0 and N900, and get the community to do it's own thing and fork the hell away from Meego....

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Didn't you hear? Mer's dead, man.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Isn't it just pining for the fjords...? Seems to be the same place that Maemo seems to be hurtling towards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post

Since the base ran on both the N8x0 and the N900, it may be time to give stskeeps another call.

Sod Nokia! - Use Mer as a base, and build a common Desktop environment on top which will work on both N8x0 and N900, and get the community to do it's own thing and fork the hell away from Meego....
I'm really confused. If you want an open system, like Mer, then why don't you want MeeGo, where the aim is to provide ..an open system?

Stskeeps (and a lot of other familiar names) are helping out with MeeGo, both on the ARM/n900 hardware adaptation, and looking at the unofficial n8x0 port (see http://wiki.meego.com/ARM)

An introspective look at MeeGo from Mer's perspective: http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...redshirts.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
"...as much as possible". That's exactly it. Mer shows the closedness of Maemo. The browser was Tear because the browser UI is closed in Maemo, the connection manager was NetworkManager because Nokia's ICD2 and libconnui are closed, Powerlaunch had to be used because both MCE and System UI are closed source. None of these performed as well as the equiv. Nokia closed component. Hildon Desktop was built for it by removing the IPHB code (done wrongly, BTW: it should've called the GLib function adding the timeout source) and a newer Hildon Application Manager couldn't be built because it depended on a closed libtime-dev. As for the rest, I don't think Mer got far.

Nokia were happy to say that a Fremantle-like OS produced by the community will allieviate the need for them to bring updates themselves with the FiF fiasco, but, yet, they're not happy to give up their code (in the case of Diablo, code that is neither used nor updated) for the community. Hint: The community (excluding the members who like to be raped by Nokia and will come up with excuses for it) don't like double standards. I mean you're happy to put out that 80 percent of Maemo is open source. Well, that figures - most of that percentage consists of open source code not written by Nokia.

@gazza_d

Agreed. Maemo will die. There's only so much free components that you can bring updates to. Sooner or later, at least one of Nokia's many closed source components will break.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-16 at 20:21. Reason: add "produced by the community"

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Yes, but its death had meaning. It was a good death.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I'm really confused. If you want an open system, like Mer, then why don't you want MeeGo, where the aim is to provide ..an open system?

Stskeeps (and a lot of other familiar names) are helping out with MeeGo, both on the ARM/n900 hardware adaptation, and looking at the unofficial n8x0 port (see http://wiki.meego.com/ARM)

An introspective look at MeeGo from Mer's perspective: http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...redshirts.html
I was slightly tongue in cheek when I suggested Mer. In all seriousness, obviously Meego should be a better bet

However, reading this thread does reveal to me a distrust from many people in Nokia's roadmap for the future of what are currently maemo devices.

There also seems to be a concern that previous mis/steps/takes will re-occur, and that closed source components, and application compability breaks between platforms/OSs will cause further fragmentation and other problems within the Maemo/Meego ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Dancing the same steps to a new tune...

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Well... kind of open.

Some counter-examples: "Compliance" criteria are starting to become clear - you will be required to ship all of the MeeGo core components, and not any replacement components for them; to be called MeeGo. How these core components are decided on, and by who, has never been clear, and it appears to be as much by negotiation between commercial partners as it is technical merit.

One example: ConnMan instead of Network Manager. Core component, but no compelling technical arguments - and in fact Novell's Moblin used Network Manager, and they are now being forced to move to ConnMan. Every other Linux distribution in the world has settled on Network Manager, and MeeGo is backing a different horse, because one of the commercial partners has invested in it. Not technical merit, not open decision making.

Within workgroups, different components and applications will be included. So, for example, Evolution Express and Banshee were included in MeeGo Netbook, in spite of being GTK+ applications - primarily because a partner (Novell) pushed for their inclusion, and Intel forced them through. Where's the open roadmap & component selection?

Yes, the project aims to be open, and I'd like to see that happen, but plainly it isn't yet. What you have are people like Arjen justifying decisions which are made behind closed doors once they've been announced - the community is faced with a fait accompli. I don't mind a small number of people having a say on components, but I'd like that say to be recorded somewhere so that the greater community can understand the reasons for choices.

Dave.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya

Sure, if you accept an n8x0 (don't really care about the n800) that cannot charge its battery, suboptimal wifi, no more than 10 minutes of life, no sound (the drivers were specifically removed from the linux-omap tree) you can do that (you could also, possibly, run meego under those constraints).

Edit: didn't read qwerty12's reply which expressed what I wanted to say much more clearly.

Last edited by luca; 2010-06-16 at 19:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:

Tags
misstep, nokia