Notices

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
My intension are to put most of the development efforts to Qt version but GTK+ version will remain in the stable repository as long as Qt version is on the same level.

Qt is more future proof and i dont want to implement new features for 2 versions...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
IMO then keep same name. Adding QT in the name just makes it harder to read. It gives information to some users, but is it after all so relevant?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Hi,

I just tested the HeiaHeia upload with eCoach and it's great feature! However the limitation for naming the activities isn't so great. There should be some more choices or at least the Notes field, if it is possible to submit also that field to HeiaHeia.

Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
Hey
The reason for not allowing to enter the sports name anymore was because for uploading to HeiaHeia there must be some way to map the activity to specific sport type. I wanted uploading to be very easy and thats why sport type must be preselected so then user only needs one click to upload to service.

I can of course add more sport types to the list... HeiaHeia has aroud 130 different sports supported so i guess there is something for everyone
Many of the sports in HeiaHeia don't have any use for GPS. I made quick calculation of sound activities for eCoach and got just 24 of those.
(running, jogging, roller skiing, duathlon, rowing, kayaking, open canoeing, riding, agility, walking the dog, nordic walking, walking, orienteering, hiking, golf, cross-country skiing, alpine skiing, snowboarding, snowshoe walking, tour skating, cycling, mountain biking, road cycling, roller skating)

Maybe another 25 more could be possible, but the are either exotic, redundant or have high risk of exposing the phone to water

The bottom line is that I don't believe all sports and "sports" in HeiaHeia are needed to be in eCoach. Also, just four sports is not enough.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jparkkar For This Useful Post:
Thank you for making this great app!

I would also like to have more sports available in eCoach. Best case would be that in options I could choose from long list what sports I want to see in eCoach sport list. Or other possibility could be that there would be current 4 sports and under those there could be button: "Show more sports".

The Following User Says Thank You to Lantti For This Useful Post:
Strange thing happened the other day. I was on a long walk, and at some point while messing around with my phone, I accidentally clicked the x (the close program button) on the eCoach window. Luckily a prompt came up and asked if I wanted to stop the exercise or not. I clicked no, but the program closed down anyway!

After that, eCoach wouldn't start up again until I rebooted the phone. And after rebooting, the walk I recorded was nowhere to be found.

eCoach has been very stable and this is the only time something like this happened. Also the crash was partially due to my own error, so I'm not saying it's anything that needs fixing. However, since the gpx files are quite small and simple, maybe eCoach could write them to disk every now and then (doesn't have to be often), so that if a crash occurs and/or a reboot is needed, the file wouldn't be completely lost.

(I'd have to start a new recording in any case, but I think the gpx files would be easy to combine into one recording in a text editor, so that's not a problem.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Juhgu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jparkkar View Post
Hi,

I just tested the HeiaHeia upload with eCoach and it's great feature! However the limitation for naming the activities isn't so great. There should be some more choices or at least the Notes field, if it is possible to submit also that field to HeiaHeia.
You can add notes for the activity from the menu in map view. That will be sent to HeiaHeia also.

Originally Posted by jparkkar View Post
Many of the sports in HeiaHeia don't have any use for GPS. I made quick calculation of sound activities for eCoach and got just 24 of those.
(running, jogging, roller skiing, duathlon, rowing, kayaking, open canoeing, riding, agility, walking the dog, nordic walking, walking, orienteering, hiking, golf, cross-country skiing, alpine skiing, snowboarding, snowshoe walking, tour skating, cycling, mountain biking, road cycling, roller skating)

Maybe another 25 more could be possible, but the are either exotic, redundant or have high risk of exposing the phone to water
I will definitely add more of them to the list

Originally Posted by Juhgu View Post
Strange thing happened the other day. I was on a long walk, and at some point while messing around with my phone, I accidentally clicked the x (the close program button) on the eCoach window. Luckily a prompt came up and asked if I wanted to stop the exercise or not. I clicked no, but the program closed down anyway!

After that, eCoach wouldn't start up again until I rebooted the phone. And after rebooting, the walk I recorded was nowhere to be found.
This was good find! Actually it doesnt close eCoach if you press "No" it just hides it, and thats why you were not able to start it again untill reboot Gonna fix that.

There was feature for storing gpx automatically every now and then but it had some issues so it was removed, i guess i have to fix it and put it on again.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
I posted a different request (error data in the XML file) on another thread, but then remembered another wish that's probably a bit harder to implement.

Right now, eCoach's settings are very context-dependent and thus hard to discover. For example, you can only change map sources and add notes if you're in the live map; device settings are only available from the main screen; etc. It would be nice if these things weren't mode-dependent; in particular, I'd like to be able to change map sources when reviewing a log.

But even if you stopped working on it yesterday, eCoach is an awesome app! Thanks so much for writing it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
This was good find! Actually it doesnt close eCoach if you press "No" it just hides it, and thats why you were not able to start it again untill reboot Gonna fix that.

There was feature for storing gpx automatically every now and then but it had some issues so it was removed, i guess i have to fix it and put it on again.
You could look how the track is saved in mappero. At least maemo-mapper on N8x0 kept the track even if the battery went out.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
As you may know lately I have been writing eCoach in Qt. I have made good progress and I have basic functionality already working. While creating Qt eCoach I have also implemented portrait mode support which required quite lot of work and UI re-design and the work is not yet fully completed.

While targeting mainly for Maemo I also experimented how big task it was to make it compile and run on S60 devices also. At the end it was quite straight forward to make it run on S60 (Thanx to great Nokia Qt SDK and Qt Mobility API) but UI and look and feel needs a lot of work as the resolution on S60 devices is so crap compared to Maemo And it didnt help that I have eCoach graphics as bitmap and not in vector format.

Here are few proof-of-concept pictures Qt eCoach running on N900 and N97 mini

back to coding ... -->