Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ack-- this conversation is duplicated and scattered across too many places for me to follow...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Yeah, there should a threat named "Whine about Nokia here".

Anyway, I don't think a MeeGo phone based in x86 will happen on this generation of Moorestown processors. I bet they will wait for the next gen, which is said to have power-consuming values closer to ARM; and that they Intel will promote then a MeeGo tablet (which can have a larger battery).

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
There will always be people that could care less about those services. There are a lot of people on non-data phone plans and the iPhone is not for that market.
I think that in less than 10 years, there will be no "simple phones". The lowliest goat herder will have a smartphone. It just won't make sense to go to all the effort of growing a human, if you aren't going to plug him into the Hive Mind.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Yeah, there should a threat named "Whine about Nokia here".
We whine because we care.

Argh! Don't you guys have better things to do than philosophising about companies and devices?
Mods: Create one "Castles in the sky" thread and put all the mental feculence in there, because these things keep repeating themselves endlessly, giving me hemorrhoids.

Whoever wants to complain about my tone again is very welcome, because i'm slowly losing patience and hope about this place.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I think that in less than 10 years, there will be no "simple phones". The lowliest goat herder will have a smartphone. It just won't make sense to go to all the effort of growing a human, if you aren't going to plug him into the Hive Mind.
And then in 20 years, they'll finally have a decent network that will blanket them with /2G/... How exactly is a smartphone useful for a goat herder if he/she can't get data coverage? What's better for a goat herder: a simple, long lasting phone that will work in a harsh environment or a smartphone that will require constant charging and babying (updates, downloading apps, etc.)?

Originally Posted by sela View Post
There is no release date for the next Meego device (the rumored N9), and the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not going to happen in 2010.
Based on how Nokia has handled Nxxx releases since the N770 (four year's worth of experience), expect something around October...

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I am starting to wonder if there even will be an ARM based MeeGo handset from Nokia, maybe they will skip it altogether and go directly to Intel based devices. Time will show.
Not likely. They are using N900 as test platform for developing MeeGo for the future device and they actually stated in early Maemo 6 / Harmattan documents that the ARM platform will be same breed as in N900. Most likely just a bit more up to date and with higher clock speeds, but core technology is likely to be the same. This also enables the community version of MeeGo to be developed for N900, with help from Nokia personnel (binary compatible with official MeeGo, including Nokia's Ovi-software...). So, I'm actually quite relaxed about the future of N900.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ack-- this conversation is duplicated and scattered across too many places for me to follow...
We should create a wiki page with the title and links to the all over spread discussions related to this Topics...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The Meego conference is mid-November. It would be slightly silly if they had a full-blown conference and not a single device So yes, oct-nov sounds realistic.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: