Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
First of all I must advise you to do this with caution. Moving certain files could prove very troublesome. What I did was only move large games from the /home/ partition. It doesn't make them slower, or at least I didn't notice a difference.

However the /home/ partition is has an EXT3 filesystem. This filesystem is used in linux and has many advantages over FAT, such as permissions etc.. MyDocs on the other hand uses a FAT partition, which makes it good for compatibility but some games might not work when moved because of missing permissions and whatnot. But /home/ and MyDocs are just partitions of the same chip (32GB Flash Memory), so speed will remain the same in theory. Rootfs is built on a much faster chip, so moving from rootfs speed might take a hit.

First of all install an app called storage-usage. If the app gives you an error (requires QT 4.6) disable 'extras-devel', update the catalogues and try re-downloading it from 'extras'. It will install successfully then.

Going into the app you will see representations of the amount of space you have in various partitions. Going into each parition gives you more details of what is taking up space. Here are some screenshots of my opt partition.

This is during the scanning process:

This is when the scanning is finished:

By navigating (using arrow keys) you can know what uses more space than others:

You can do this for rootfs by pressing on the rootfs partition. Using xterm you can then move things as you wish.

Some useful commands for xterm:

This is a symlink. It puts a file pointing to [DIR1] in the [DIR2] path.
Code:
ln -s [DIR1] [DIR2]
Example this puts a small file linking to MyDocs/Vids in /home/opt/vids/
Code:
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Vids /home/opt/vids/
This is the command to remove files. This removes [DIR1]. -r means recursively. If you get errors such as: "Can't remove. Directory is not empty" remember that search is your friend, and what works on Ubuntu works here too.
Code:
rm -r [DIR1]
This is the code to copy files. This copies files from [DIR1] to [DIR2]. Do not put the square brackets.
Code:
cp -r [DIR1] [DIR2]
That's all you basically need to know to move them yourself. Be careful what you move. Smoku pointed out that I shouldn't be moving whole directories. Just move the files or folders that take up space. Do not move any executables. Move only data files (which take up most of the space).

Here are some scripts I did to move certain games. I did not try to move apps. Some of these scripts are not perfect, What I mean is they sometimes instead of moving 'maps' as a directory move everything inside maps. What you do in this case you determine what was not moved well and create a directory called maps and put everything inside it. Make sure you don't move other important directories you might have copied. Feel free to fix my code if there is something wrong. I tested all these apps and they all work.

Beneath a Steel Sky
Code:
cp -f /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/scummvm/beneath-a-steel-sky/sky.dsk /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/steelsky/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/scummvm/beneath-a-steel-sky/sky.dsk
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/steelsky/sky.dsk /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/scummvm/beneath-a-steel-sky/
Boswars
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/maps /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/maps
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/maps
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/maps /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/units /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/units
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/units /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/graphics /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/graphics
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/graphics /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/campaigns /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/campaigns
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/boswars/campaigns /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/boswars/
Brainparty
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/brainparty/Content /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/brainparty/
rm -r /home/opt/brainparty/Content
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/brainparty/Content /home/opt/brainparty/
Fish Fillets
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/images /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/
rm -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/images
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/images /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/
cp -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/music /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/
rm -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/music
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/music /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/
cp -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/sound /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/
rm -r /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/sound
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/fillets/sound /home/opt/games/fillets-ng/
Frozen Bubble
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/gfx /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/frozen-bubble/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/gfx
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/frozen-bubble/gfx /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/snd /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/frozen-bubble/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/snd
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/frozen-bubble/snd /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/frozen-bubble/
Open Arena
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak0.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak0.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak0.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak4-textures.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak4-textures.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak4-textures.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
cp -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3 /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/
rm -r /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/openarena/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3 /home/opt/openarena/baseoa/
Pushover
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/pushover/themes /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/pushover/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/pushover/themes
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/pushover/themes /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/pushover/
Urquan Masters
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/uqm/content/packages /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/uqm/
rm -r /home/opt/uqm/content/packages
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/uqm/packages /home/opt/uqm/content/
Vultures
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/vultures/music /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/
rm -r /home/opt/vultures/music
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/music /home/opt/vultures/
cp -r /home/opt/vultures/tiles /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/
rm -r /home/opt/vultures/tiles
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/tiles /home/opt/vultures/
cp -r /home/opt/vultures/graphics /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/
rm -r /home/opt/vultures/graphics
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/vultures/graphics /home/opt/vultures/
Wormux
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/map /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/map
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/map /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/music /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/music
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/music /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/font /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/font
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/font /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/sound /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/sound
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/wormux-data/sound /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/wormux-data/
Widelands
Code:
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/music /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/music
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/music /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/worlds /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/worlds
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/worlds /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/tribes /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/tribes
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/tribes /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/maps /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/maps
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/maps /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/
cp -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/music /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/
rm -r /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/music
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/Games/OS/widelands/music /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/games/widelands/
Please note that this process has to be repeated with each update of the file or reflashing. And when installing apps after a reflash (where they install on their own) keep in mind that with this process you have successfully free over 600MB, so /home/opt/ may overflow. So keep these apps back and install them manually.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-06-19 at 09:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovakia/Bratislava
don't want to be pain in the *** here, but ever heard of command called "mv" ?

mv will not work most of the times due to permissions.
cp and rm is safer.

Why can't we just expand this file system at the expence of another? I remember being able to do this with AIX a long time ago.

Yes I recently managed to do that. Check my signature. I am the only tester as far as I know. If anyone else tried it they did not post results, but it should work.