Sure, you can always send SMS via email from your tablet. But perhaps you want to receive SMS too? I think you need a connection to the SMS network for that. Namely, a phone or GSM modem.

Have you guys tried this app? http://maemo.org/downloads/product/phonelink
It, and the project it is based on (gnokii, here: http://www.gnokii.org/) seem to promise the ability to send/receive SMS via bluetooth using your phone as a modem. Sounds cool.

Anyone tried it?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
being in the UK I use oscar.aol.com as my aim gateway as well (I thought that was the only one).
I will try sending an sms to my phone now.. Trillian said 'Error sending IM - this user is currently not logged on'. and the same when I sent it to my home phone (which does sms too). Neither messages appeared.

I've tried both Phonelink and Gnokii. GAMMU is available as well. Not sure how to use gammu though. Phonelink uses Gnokii and it works well - the only pain was trying to get contacts in. It doesn't read the phone's contact database (or I couldn't figure out more than sending the phone entries one at a time - yuck!). It does send the message through my Razr - t-mobile phone though - doesn't read entries though either.

I think a Phone Sync suite would be great -- really make the IT's into more of a Palm Foleo - than a palm foleo. :-)

Use my IT's (770 & N800) both with my t-zones account so internet everywhere now.

Now if only it could manage the contacts on my phone, calendar and SMS I'd be set. Even though it is totally cool to be able to copy ringtones, videos and pics to/from the phone and IT's.

Have a look at www.clickatell.com, they offer a number of different mechanisms to send SMS.

A N800/maemo application that pushes msgs through the Clickatell gateway like ClickSMS for Symbian would be cool.

..and, no, I don't have time to tinker with that.