Active Topics

just noticed that my phone doesn't rotate anymore.

i have phone turning on setting enabled and on microb auto rotation enabled too.

i have installed accdisplay app it registers coordinates fine so accelerometer works.

anyone had smilar issue ?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
may be you've installed apps that broke it?
I turned mine off because of the slow rotate issues.

Originally Posted by asidana View Post
just noticed that my phone doesn't rotate anymore.

i have phone turning on setting enabled and on microb auto rotation enabled too.

i have installed accdisplay app it registers coordinates fine so accelerometer works.

anyone had smilar issue ?
Did that once for me but worked normally again after a reboot.

Regards,
Henrik

i have rebooted and still the same. just installed health check app and last number on accelometer is always 2286. is it suppose to stay fixed? first 2 numbers changes

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by asidana View Post
i have rebooted and still the same. just installed health check app and last number on accelometer is always 2286. is it suppose to stay fixed? first 2 numbers changes
Try using another application that makes complete use of the accelerometer, and see if it doesn't work.

(liqflow, liqacceltests are good candidates.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

sorted. i have removed

koffice
htop
accplay
healtcheck

and rebooted

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ UK - The Lakes
I had this issue, rebooting didn't help. In the end i removed the battery and restarted, fine after that. If I could have found my login password I would have told you this before you removed all them packages. Oops!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Removing those probably-unrelated packages seems like overkill, IMHO...

Those programs you mentioned for checking seem to verify your accelerometer is fine; this is determined by reading the coords file automatically.

The only way to constantly get information from the accelerometer is to read it all the time (poll it). If all applications were doing this constantly, it'd suck the battery dry.

What the standard MCE daemon offers is a D-Bus service, where MCE will do the polling and broadcast the information to all programs who are listening for it. This way, as the polling is only done by one program, you get a bit better battery life.

Alas, in some cases, it's not always doing a good job. Along with the coordinates, it also sends a string of what it thinks the current orientation is. Many applications use this string to determine the current orientation. It mostly gets it right, but there are times when it'll report "unknown".

MicroB, Opera, and many other programs use MCE's information to get the state.

If you have rotation enabled, run the following to see what MCE's reporting:
dbus-monitor --system "path=/com/nokia/mce/signal,interface=com.nokia.mce.signal,member=sig_d evice_orientation_ind"

If you see nothing, it means that MCE hasn't been told to poll.

Run "dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_accelerometer_enable" and this'll turn on MCE's polling. Running the dbus-monitor command above should now start to report something.

Make sure to run "dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_accelerometer_disable" when done to stop it from polling*.

Of course, many applications have grown wise; they expect the keyboard to be closed first.

* Not strictly true: I believe MCE keeps a counter for how many times the enable and disable request methods are called; one disable request will cancel out one enable request etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: