Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Lowered reception via touching... get a case. USB port falling out... shave the charger's prongs.

I'll take my chances with a case. Just saying.

But then again, I don't tend to hold the phone much. It's in a pocket almost always during conversations.

Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
Wow, first iFixit confirms that the glass apple invented is actually gorilla glass, iFixit scratched the "unscratchable" glass, band problems, yello spots on retina display!! best news all week!!...
Apple invented the "Gorilla Glass", which is made by Corning, and used in other products such as TVs and car windshields?

As far as the poor reception, from what I understand, it seems that by touching the junction of the 2 different antennae (side and bottom), it is creating a "short" so to speak. Especially given that the recepton is little affected holding in the same spot when using the bumper cover.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Now Apple is doing the same with phones.
Right. So applying that to the subject at hand...

Everyone has been doing bad antenna design for ages. Now that Apple does it, it's the new Big Thing!

The Following User Says Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juise- View Post
Everyone has been doing bad antenna design for ages. Now that Apple does it, it's the new Big Thing!
Naw. Just really makes you question their QA, all of them.

here are three antenna patents that nokia sued apple over

http://www.google.com/patents?id=K0k...page&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=woE...page&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3mg...page&q&f=false

Is it possible that apple knew they were wrong and thought better to redesign the antenna for iphone 4 and then Steve came out and specifically said nobody has designed an antenna like this before?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Main thing is to see how Apple deals with this within 2 months.

Originally Posted by juise- View Post
Right. So applying that to the subject at hand...

I can "some what" justify in my mind the USB problem some N900's experienced. The USB port is not a direct contact thing, in the QA area they may have never experienced a port break and thus it snuck through. (I've never had a problem with my USB port along with many many others.)

However, not noticing the bad reception problem while HOLDING the phone? That's a serious miss. Did not a single person actually hold the phone while testing it?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think by 2 months it's past the sink or swim period already.
They should (and I think they will) describe the way out within the next 1-3 days to remove all confusion and set the plan in motion immediately.

If it's truly an issue that can't be permanently resolved quick enough, I wouldn't be surprised if they give 2 options to current owners:

1. Free replacement when the fixed revision becomes available, in the meanwhile they offer a free bumper to mitigate the issue.
2. Full refund.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Naw. Just really makes you question their QA, all of them.
Ah, now I get it.

Everyone has been doing their QA testing on end-users for ages. Now that Apple does it, it's the new Big Thing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
In their defence, it's quite probable that finished phones in field testing would have been wearing some sort of disguise which would have more than likely masked this issue.

Tags
bestthreadever, form > function, h8'ers gon' h8, isheeps, worstthreadever