I have had exactly the same issues, kept getting texts saying I've gone over the 500mb limit. When I bought my sim only deal I was told there was a 500mb cap, then I threatened to go to T-mobile who offered more for the money, they then told me that they'll match the 1gb cap and I stayed with them.

I rang up vodafone this morning telling them about my supposed 1gb cap, they told me that it was incorrect. I contacted the cancellation department and asked for a PAC code and the chap who I spoke to said I could have the 1gb cap, unlimited wifi, 600 mins and unlimited text for the same price of £20 a month. Result!!

Does anyone know how I can share the unlimited wifi on the n900 with my ipad?

What exactly is 'unlimited wifi' ???

There is no "Unlimited Wifi".

Wifi is FREE. Its a basic wireless connection.

He probably means access to public WiFi hotspots eg. BTOpenZone etc.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Yep BT openzone apparently, luckily for me there's a wifi spot where I live

After reading all 47 pages of this thread I'd just want to clear my head and get this correct.

What I get is, IF I have a contract that was unlimited internet, starting with YP I can either call up and accept the 1GB fixed limit they'll offer

(My contract was DEFINATLY unlimited Internet, I wouldnt have got the contract otherwise)

OR

I can go over the 500MB untill I get some texts (got first yesterday) saying I've exeeded my monthly 500MB data allowance.
I may find a priceplan with a higher data allowance more suitable, please call customer services for more information

Then KEEP downloading until I get a text message saying they are charging me at which stage I can send a cancellation letter?

Is this correct, or have I read it wrong?

Also if it is as I said above, and I send the cancellation letter, along with a cheque in full and final payment...

HOW will I know how much the final payment "SHOULD" be?

This months direct debit does not come out until 3nd July

IF they charge me, it will definatly make my bill rise by more than 10% as before now I have used little internet as although I specificaly wanted unlimited internet I didnt need it at that stage. but wanted it just in case I spent too much time online sometime (like watching the tennis online yesterday - amazing how much data that uses )

I have no idea what my billing date actually is, they produce the bills on various dates between the 22nd and 18th of each month.

I can easily check online and see my usage when I send the letter, but how will I know how much to make the cheque out for?

PS I do want to cancel, NOT downgrade to the 1GB package.

Originally Posted by karen View Post
After reading all 47 pages of this thread I'd just want to clear my head and get this correct.

What I get is, IF I have a contract that was unlimited internet, starting with YP I can either call up and accept the 1GB fixed limit they'll offer

(My contract was DEFINATLY unlimited Internet, I wouldnt have got the contract otherwise)
Yes but they will try their hardest to deny this fact. It took me 3-4 calls for them to acknowledge that i was legible for the upgrade to a gig.

Trouble does not stop there tho, as i am a new customer (3-4 months) they were not going to bend over backwards for me. I was told i cannot go up to the Gig limit without reducing my texts. **** that!!!!!!!!

I can go over the 500MB untill I get some texts (got first yesterday) saying I've exeeded my monthly 500MB data allowance.
I may find a priceplan with a higher data allowance more suitable, please call customer services for more information

Then KEEP downloading until I get a text message saying they are charging me at which stage I can send a cancellation letter?

Is this correct, or have I read it wrong?
Correct, they will see if the charges raise your bill by more than 10%. this isnt you standard bill this is with everything included so be careful. i have just been to Sweden and used my phone lots so my bill is going to be high. so if i where to go over next month i am going to have to do it by loads. I dont want them sneaking in the charges when i cant cancel, due to my bill being high last month due to being abroad

Also if it is as I said above, and I send the cancellation letter, along with a cheque in full and final payment...

HOW will I know how much the final payment "SHOULD" be?

This months direct debit does not come out until 3nd July
No idea speak to Vodafone before cancelling and they will let you know

I have no idea what my billing date actually is, they produce the bills on various dates between the 22nd and 18th of each month.
Again speak to Vodafone as i get billed around the 10th but my usage restarts on the 20th. makes lots of sense doesnt it.

I can easily check online and see my usage when I send the letter, but how will I know how much to make the cheque out for?

PS I do want to cancel, NOT downgrade to the 1GB package.
This again was a bitter point with regards to the implementation of these changes. the online statistics of your data or not realtime and so not upto date. you will get warning saying you are reaching you limit, fair enough. However you cant know how close you are etc etc until you get a message to say you have exceeded the limit. Its really badly done

Hope that all helped, im sure what i said is accurate as i have been following this for sometime and spoken to Vodafone about it on many occasions but if i am wrong on anything im sure folks will be quick to correct me

I've gonoe back and checked all my bills since I got the phone in December
The usage starts on the 12th or 13th of each month.

I'd rather not have to call them at all, I'd like to work out exactly how much I'd have to send them as the final cheque beforehand, once I cancel.

Do I have to give notice, or does the cancellation start on the day the letter gets to their office?

if so all I have to do is make sure to check my unbilled balance on the day I send the letter and just send the cheque for any data use (the £5 I will get charged) and any texts or calls not covered by my free allowance?

I presume I dont need to send the next months line rental as its paid in advance?

I poped in to my VF store to day to get insurance for my Iphone. and cancel my old phones insurance. the guy told me sins i am not using my N900 the contract i have is for use with it. i then told the guy i can use any phone i wish. it does not stat in the contract that i can only use that n900 phone. he then said there is an iphone tariff i need to be on to use the iphone and i said why would i down grade my contract to an iphone 1GB when i have Unlimited internet on my one.

am I right or is the guy right if i have a contract which came with n900 phone (600mins, unlimited txt and unlimited internet). so if i use the Iphone on this contract will i not be able to brake my contract if they charge me for going over FUP sins i changed phone?

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
He's wrong, you can use that SIM in any handset. The insurance policies usually also say that the phone unless it requires SIM for operation, which most smart handsets don't the N900 included, they would still cover it.

Tags
vodafone con