Notices

I have seen this feature on samsung I9000. Is there any way to search contacts using contact number on N900? It would be great if somebody could implement this feature.

Last edited by praveenchand; 2010-06-27 at 18:34.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
You mean if you can remember part of the number and type that in, it will show all contacts that match that? I guess that would be a nice feature.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United States
there's been a lot of situations to where this could've been useful for me as well... particularly when someone receives a call and asks me if i know the person, or i need to check to see if the phone numbers already logged in contacts.

not a necessity for me personally, but it'd definitely make life easier

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
That a proper search function is missing is... I just do not understand!
If you backup your contact's you can grep it with an xterminal.

Code:
grep -r $part_of_number $path_to_backup
output looks something like this
Code:
$path_to_backup/$contact's_name.vcf :TEL:TYPE=$type : $full_number
as matching file with the full number and as the file name is the contact's name you will find your way.

Also a grep on your abook databases like this
Code:
grep -r -B6 $part_of_number ~/.osso-abook/db/
gives you 6 lines before a number and if you don't have to many numbers with a contact you will see the name within output, this grep includes call-logs (to grep only the abook you have to point directly to it).

further extending to get a good matching output with having it put for a script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
grep -C10 $1 ~/.osso-abook/db/addressbook.db | grep -e N: -e TEL|grep -v VERSION
this gives you 10 lines in each direction of that number to grep the name as it may be before or after that TEL line, to have entries separated I left the BEGIN:VCARD in the output.
USAGE:
Code:
./search_num 135314
I am looking into it to have it display the full vCard later today.

Just found a number in the call-logs I don't have in the abook anymore, with full details.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-06-28 at 11:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Moscow
This suggestion has been mentioned by Marco Barisione, the guy who's written first ever contacts app plugin to merge contacts. He's going to implement full-text search if/when he has time, but if you're willing to do this - I suggest to contact him for coordination so that you won't end up with 2 similar apps. I'm sure contacts plugin is the best way to do this anyway.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"} /^TEL/{print $2} /^FN/{print $2} /END:/{print "\n"}' /home/user/.osso-abook/db/addressbook.db|awk 'BEGIN { RS="\n\n"; FS="\n"; PATTERN="pattern" } { if ( $0 ~ PATTERN ) print $0; }' $0; }'
Thats the awk one-liner for displaying all matching contacts with name and all numbers available, for some reason I get the same displayed x times while x = #_of_phone-numbers. (Well proof of concept...just a few lines are needed to do this in a shell script properly)

As this is on its way I keep my hands off till asked for it.

thanks all for the comments & feedback. This is a very cool feature, am sure somebody can come up with a good application supporting this feature