i've had the n800 for about two months now, and i must say that i love this device...i'm a college student just starting with programming so i dont know a lot when it comes to coding things to get this to work at my discretion...
now that that is said, i want to know if the n800 has an smb kernel or something like that... here at GA tech, we get network drives that we can access through any computer connected to the college wifi...i know that they use samba to connect to a prism drive for every student...i think that with smb the oit guys might be able to connect me to my drive
my other question is if there is an smb kernel, then do you think the n800 will be able to see the network drive?

i love this device, it does a lot more that what i need and if i could acces my files through it then that is it for me taking my laptop to class y alrwady take my n800 to most of my classes and watch everyone waste time logging in and out of their laptops and walking around with heavy backpacks

if someone has ideas please let me know

*this was thread created from my "pocket laptop"

There are several SMB modules you can add on from the Software section above. One is SMB Browser which I've used successfully. There are also SMB clients that are CLI oriented as well.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
SMB Browser sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find it at Maemo.org for IT 2007 or IT2006?

Would you happen to have a link or copy that's working on your N800? I'm sort of tired of using the command line for this.

Nevermind I found it in the garage..... sorry..

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/smbbrowser/

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The SMB browser package depends on smbfs, and that depends on perl-base. You will probably have to do the following as root:

apt-get install perl-base
apt-get install smbfs (or samba, which gives you server as well as client)

before you can install anything samba related.

I found out about perl-base (which seems to be in the Canola repository) from another thread here at ITT forums.

There's also a perl-base in repository.maemo.org/ for bora now.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
which repository is smbfs in?

I found a thread saying it was in maemo-hackers, but it isn't in the bora one.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just another note, I found I couldn't get smbfs working on the newest N800 firmware. I abandoned trying to get SMB Browser working. I was able to mount windows shares, but I had to use "mount -t cifs" as root and I had to download the cifs.ko file from here:

http://handhelds.org/~fanoush/maemo/...06.51-6.tar.gz

Try these instructions: http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowToAccessWindowsCIFS

You still need the smbfs package, however, so don't uninstall that. I don't know which repository it is in. One of the ones that I have.

Just a warning: Getting a samba share mounted on my N800 turned into quite an ordeal. Not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by qole; 2007-11-05 at 23:38.

Well SMB Browser can work witht he latest firmware, but there is a quirk:

You need to create the a directory named /lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ and copy the cifs.ko module into there (and restart). There is an SMB Browser script that looks to /lib/modules/*kernel-version* for the module basically.

Personally I'm looking forward to the built-in support via OS2008 though