Hi there,
just got myself a nokia 770 arnd 2 weeks ago.
What does it mean by charging battery 2-3 cycles?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Good question. I would ignore that and just charge it.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Good question. I would ignore that and just charge it.
you sure?
hmm...okay then.
do you know what's the battery capacity of nokia n770 ? 1500mah or 1300mah ? it's not stated on the battery.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
On second though, I'm wondering if several cycles means all the way from no battery to full being one cycle, so several cycles would mean several chargings.

A mag article says the battery is 1500 mAh.

Disclosure: I don't have a 770, just an 800.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
On second though, I'm wondering if several cycles means all the way from no battery to full being one cycle, so several cycles would mean several chargings.

A mag article says the battery is 1500 mAh.

Disclosure: I don't have a 770, just an 800.
okay dude.
thanks for clarifyin my thoughts..gotta upgrade to 800

Avoid the discharges, that just detoriates the battery's capacity and lifetime. Charge it when you can, and definitely try to get it to a charger when it reaches 50% (at least as a general rule). It's best to interpret "charge cycles" as charging from half-full, not from empty. Now, for old NiMH batteries it made sense to fully discharge and charge a few times.. but not really for modern lithium batteries. The user manuals tend to keep the old advice, which is unfortunate.
In day-to-day use lithium batteries can be charged at any time, for as short or as long as you want.

Actually most LiON batteries last longest if fully charged and then discharged till the device says low battery two to three times initially. After that you can charge at any time.

On a LiON battery there are cells that will remain uncharged until fully charged/discharged for a couple cycles.

P.S. The couple full charge/discharge cycles also assists in calibrating the battery meter properly.

Originally Posted by mykl99 View Post
Actually most LiON batteries last longest if fully charged and then discharged till the device says low battery two to three times initially. After that you can charge at any time.

On a LiON battery there are cells that will remain uncharged until fully charged/discharged for a couple cycles.
Not really. At least not for the type of 3-cell batteries used in mobile devices. This more applies to stacked battery cells as used in e.g. laptops (cells are stacked to get to much higher voltages).

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
You can't really fully charge/discharge LiON battery. The power controller let's you the most time only charging and discharging between 10% and 90%.

While the battery is only charged at 90% your device will see a 100% charged battery

EDIT : For more information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ure_and_charge

Last edited by Khertan; 2007-09-06 at 11:12.