Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As long as all the source code is available then people can start fixing stuff.

Just to be clear is the current release is the open version of the image minus the closed components (battery management and stuff)?

Nokia are releasing their version a little bit later?

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
I'm waiting for the October release which is v.1.1. That one for sure will be a stable release.

---
Who but me?!
--HeavyC.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
I don't really care if it's not stable, I would just like to see the demo running on my n900 (in dual boot as It is my primary device)

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mangal_sk8erboy View Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
NICE ONE!!!!
i think pre alpha is like sort of a beta release..
i THINK!
beta is when its not an official non buggy version yet, its a buggy version which is sent out to the public so that THEY can find out the bugs and return to the supplier with the feedback.
Alpha == We reached planned feature set and we have loads of bugs in
Beta == We think we crushed all critical and major bugs and this is what it is going to look and work like
Release Candidate == We think we crushed all known bugs and if you won't find any, this is what you'll get

So, pre-Alpha == We aren't there yet but we got a few parts working, you may toy with it

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
As long as all the source code is available then people can start fixing stuff.

Just to be clear is the current release is the open version of the image minus the closed components (battery management and stuff)?

Nokia are releasing their version a little bit later?
No, many closed components are available now actually. Like SGX driver or WiFi driver. In booting, it says something about BME too. Altough it doesn't show anything on the status bar, I think it is charging when connecting the charger(Phone gets warmer).

The Meego UI looks like it was designed by a child.
If this is what is to be expected in the final release, i'll stick with maemo

Originally Posted by sirfoxelot View Post
i second that.
too used 2 maemo.
i hope they continue with maemo 6 7 etc!

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by sirfoxelot View Post
While I agree with you on that entirely, I don't think it's targeted at your typical geek end user. I think it'd probably go down reasonably okay with the masses, but even then I'd imagine most people would very quickly dump it as soon as they become aware that it can be changed.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I do know this looks clunky and seems to waste a lot of visual space - the wallpaper they used was a bad choice - first impressions count, and mine was essentially "yuck"

That said, no doubt it can be themed - probably Nokia and others will release their own user interface to sit on top of the OS.

In short, I don't like it, I'll stick with Maemo.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-07-01 at 10:32.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
While I agree with you on that entirely, I don't think it's targeted at your typical geek end user. I think it'd probably go down reasonably okay with the masses, but even then I'd imagine most people would very quickly dump it as soon as they become aware that it can be changed.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I do know this looks clunky and seems to waste a lot of visual space.

That said, no doubt it can be themed - probably Nokia and others will release their own user interface to sit on top of the OS.

In short, I don't like it, I'll stick with Maemo.
can we expect a maemo 6 to finally save the day?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mangal_sk8erboy View Post
can we expect a maemo 6 to finally save the day?
Maemo 6 is Harmattan.

At the time of the Maemo-Moblin merger, Nokia announced that the "Maemo 6" name had been dropped, and that, that release (codenamed "Harmattan") would be "an instance of MeeGo". It would be MeeGo compatible, though not use RPM, etc.

More recently, Nokia has shown they understand that using the "MeeGo" name for Harmattan, a product that's not quite MeeGo, causes confusion. Quim has begun referring to Harmattan as Harmattan-MeeGo instead for clarity, though he is quick to point out that won't be the final method of distinguishing the peculiarities of the upcoming OS.

In any case, no, Nokia isn't continuing to develop Maemo alongside MeeGo. MeeGo-Harmattan is a transition step, and following releases will be MeeGo, period. Also, since even before Maemo 5 was released, Nokia has been describing the "iconic" UI of Harmattan as strikingly different from that of Maemo 5. Had MeeGo not happened, you'd still be watching Nokia move away from the Maemo 5 UI right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: