Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
So, will Google Docs run on your Google Phone?

*chuckles*

The Following User Says Thank You to DrSteve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
[...] what is clearly a failed product [...]
Could you elaborate on that please?

N900 is a "failed product":
- It has a nice form factor, keyboard (very useful to me), nice screen, gps, fm radio etc. The phone is built to last, with mine surviving a very hard knock.
- It has the ability to run tons of software (including access to Debian software) without any kind of jailbreaking. And with real multitasking (ask iPhone developers how they feel about the lack of multitasking on the iPhone).
- It respects my freedom (not forcing me to use Apple or Google apps). Almost every aspect of the phone can be modified according to the wishes of the user.
- It helps me with everything related to my job and my academic tasks (from connecting to servers with ssh, to my company's vpn, to testing php/java/etc. apps directly on the phone, to having access to my code with svn/git etc. for quick corrections. I have even used LaTeX and openoffice for short edits)
- It has USB host mode capability (just imagine the possibilities when combined with a cheap portable usb keyboard and a mouse - or connected to printers, usb sticks etc.)
- It is supported by an active community with many intelligent users and able programmers

Of course I could go on, but what's the point?
With a little research on Apple (and its history), on the status of mobile telephones in USA when the iPhone was released, and on Google, one can reach interesting conclusions...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skoteinos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
n900 graphic processing>nexus one
multitaskting ftw

@skoteinos, you just fell for the kid's "rant"..

these people enjoy having us comment on their rants. trolls maybe?

don't let these kids get in to you.
i know they're posting their gripes on N900 on purpose to get us flaming and commenting on them. and they have fun reading our replies. notice how the "AFRICA" kid hasn't replied? lol

these are obviously made up stories.

please learn to spell, if you do that, you'll learn how to use an N900 properly and appreciate it.

The N900 is actually getting better and better, not worse! Fact: the hardware's potential is being increasingly realized by software innovations and updates. Fact: this improvement is constant. Result: as more use cases are being satisfied to a greater and greater degree, the Community beams with pride because we all chip in what we can. I love this Community, especially its solve-your-own-problems culture.

Soon, Africa, you'll probably be asking your sibling to return your N900, because the device will end up doing whatever it is you want it to do.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Eh, if the N900 had a decent amount of developers and apps available, even just a small fraction of what Android has in the Marketplace, it would be much better off. I've considered doing the same thing as the OP, and dropping my N900 and throwing the SIM in a Nexus One. My wife has a Droid and even without true multitasking and a command prompt, the apps make it worth it. Navigation is top notch, the video games rock, Android has Trapster (heck, Blackberry has Trapster).

I love my N900 and I use the heck out of it everyday, but it has not caught on with developers and there is a sever lack of apps for it. I might go for a Nexus One as well if I can find a decent price on one.

The Following User Says Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Doesn't matter, it's not the phone really I'm out for. There's plenty of hardware that can run Android. I'm interested in the Nexus one because I can get it unlocked and there's a version that works with T-Mobile. SImple to just swap SIM cards and be done with it. Besides, if they really did kill it...cool, that means that used ones will be cheap.

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Thanks for reminding me, I was to suggest a moderation system for meego.com

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
You will realize how good the N900 is when you get your Nexus. I switched to the EVO 4G, fully regret it, nothing will beat the N900. Android has nothing on it, really.
Slightly off-topic ... but I would be nterested to know why the EVO4G fails in comparison to the N900... actually I am also thinking of going the EVO 4G way... the screen is a big plus. Haven't used Android ever as yet so some points would be good.

Tags
delete me, fanboys gallery, user fail, worstthreadever