Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
This proves my point.

On paper, businesses have such utopian principles but in reality, nobody sticks with it
Not really. Notice that in markets with fierce competition or the company is the underdog there tends to be at least good customer service and good products.

I'm doubtful that Samsung and Motorola (or the vendors of their phones) have really good customer service, certainly doubtful that it's better than Nokia.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Not really. Notice that in markets with fierce competition or the company is the underdog there tends to be at least good customer service and good products.

I'm doubtful that Samsung and Motorola (or the vendors of their phones) have really good customer service, certainly doubtful that it's better than Nokia.
nokia has customer service? what a concept. mythical unicorns that magically know anything at all about the device they are selling or the one you are calling/complaining about. i wonder what such a experience would be like.. hmmm, "Nokia Customer Service" Now thats an amazing idea mate. wish it were more than a dream

Ok, jokes aside. i can hardly call those yo yos on tyhe other end of the phone customer service. i mean really... they have a computer to read facts and data and stuff off of and they still dont know squat. all they do is keep forwarding you to a higher tier rep who eventually says he/she will have to call you baCK ABOS AND YOU END UP JUST RESEARCHING IT ON MAEMO.ORG AND FIGURING IT OUT YA DAMN SELF BECAUSE nokia CUSTOMER CARE NEVER ACTUALLY CALLED YOU BACK. MIND YOU THE WAIT ON THE PHONE IS LIKE 45 MIN. PLUS. (sry bout caps to lazy and sleepy to fx it)

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Me asks my self:

What does Apple do that Maemo doesn't?

Me answers:

It provides an SDK for a platform other than Linux...

Me then ponders...

Soon it may be common knowledge that Android has now taken over iPhone as the smartphone choice for new smartphone users. That's the way it's trending... and it is happening so fast it may even be so by the time this is posted.

More apps are being developed, more features being deployed by Google, and there is a whole gang of OEM’s now producing “droids” in various flavors.

So I then asks me self:

What is it that Android does that both Maemo and iPhone OS don't do?

After going >>here<< I answers me self:

Android maintains free SDK's for 3 platforms...

This pro'ly should be in it's own thread and MeeGo should give some serious thought to maintaining Windows and MacOS SDK versions if it wants to be an Android contender.

My eyes started glazing over with all this talk of file transfer speeds. Chances are in five years we may be transferring files mobile to mobile so large that a new optical technology will be necessary.

I posted here because I wanted to get some reaction about Android OS phones.
I'm believing more each day that the iPhone may be a one trick pony that you can only dress up differently in order to give it any interest. When most people see the same trick twice they move on.

With the iPhone what you see is what you get. Most of it's "wowee" hardware and software has by now been replicated and has already surpassed anything that Apple has committed to build... But I'm drifting again...

For the sake of the thread it has always been my opinion that the N900 had the better hardware. The iPhone had better firm/software that took advantage of more of it's hardware out of the box than the N900's did.

Maemo was catching up but now Android has sailed right on buh bye both of them and there are no barriers to stop it, New manufacturers and old could come along at anytime and ad more features and Android will adopt a new flavor.

Hell, Nokia could conceivably build an Android phone (Bogus rumor alert! ).But, I don't see Apple ever doing so.

Not to piss in anyones cereal but I'm thinkin' in three years the iPhone will be looked at as just another toy and not the kind of tool more and more people are learning a smart phone can and should be.

The competition will be Android.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-26 at 05:34.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

Not to piss in anyones cereal but I'm thinkin' in three years the iPhone will be looked at as just another toy and not the kind of tool more and more people are learning a smart phone can and should be.

The competition will be Android.
i kinda agree with ya there. I have no complaints about android other than the fact that they keep coming out with firmware versions that are not Across The Board and are NOT backward compatible with there app store. it kinda makes a bit of a mess of things but i understand the need to make money.

the only part i dont agree with is that you have to remember. apple is a marketing monster and they are just as creative and innovative as the rest of these guys. i serieously doubt they will let themselves fall to a simple "just a nother toy" NA UH, it will never get that serious for them. world better watch out for nokia too who in my oppionion is even more creative talented and innovative then apple. they just have no sense of marketing and they dont seem to have the resources needced for such a huge brand.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Couldn't help it, given the thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3Ogt2L44Q

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Heh.. ok, another one I'm sure the OP will love. WARNING: Despite the cute characters, there is some strong language used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ troll cave
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Me asks my self:

What does Apple do that Maemo doesn't?

Me answers:

It provides an SDK for a platform other than Linux...
Incorrect.

See Nokia Qt SDK. Versions available:

* 32- or 64-bit Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
* 32-bit Ubuntu Linux 7.04 or later.
* 64-bit Ubuntu Linux 7.04 or later.
* Apple Mac OS X 10.6 or later (Beta).

It uses MADDE as the glue between Qt Creator and Maemo platform.

So if I may fix it for you:

What does Maemo do that Apple doesn't?

Provides an SDK that works Linux, Mac and Windows.

Originally Posted by suihkulokki View Post
Incorrect
YoDude is wrong, mostly because Apple provides an SDK -only- for OS X. Sort of like Maemo/MeeGo, but restricted to a more closed platform.

And unlike Apple, the general software development toolkit is available on 3 platforms instead of one. Only thing missing is a system emulator, but this is of moderate value on a platform that isn't single-sourced (Apple) or focused on keeping the software in a VM (Android.) After that you're running on hardware anyway.

infact u can ssh with iphone.. (btw i dig my n900!!)

You know the funny thing is that the iPhone doesn't actually do any of those things.

Tags
this is so sad