Notices

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
I have a serious problem. I was texting/IMing a friend when I started typing few letters and the autocomplete filled in MY PASSWORD! I don't know why it is saving this when I only type it into password dialogue boxes. This is a very concerning privacy issue.

Is there a way to remove this word from the autocomplete "dictionary"? I used to have a BB pearl, and they had this type of functionality.

Thanks!

For clarification, it wasn't an important password, but it's still a hassle to have to change it, and I wouldn't like to have the possibility of sending this to someone my mistakenly hitting send, etc..

There's an application in extras-devel called autocomp edit that allows you to delete words from the dictionary. Have a search on this forum for more information.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
what applications you have installed and typed password into?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

i think ossipena is on the right path. a password input area should always mask the password and it will not show up in autocomplete.

This is not really a N900 issue. Some apps (especially the new ones and those in the devel repos) are not coded properly when it comes to handling passwords (they do not use the proper password handling widget etc.)
So when you see a password dialog that is not replacing the letters of your password with "*" while you are typing them, that means your password will end up in the autocomplete dictionary.
So when you have such a situation, you may delete the password entry using the autocomplete editor and next file a bug report to the developer of the "offending" app.

The Following User Says Thank You to phobosk For This Useful Post:
Wizard-mounter is one of them. maybe its updated in extras-devel, but the current version in my device leaves my password in the autocomplete list, even when it uses some kind of password widget that shows the *

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Password Safe doesn't store the passwords under a *, because it wants to show them to you when you're searching for them.
Here's the link to the autocomplete editor that I mentioned earlier.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
The Wordpress app is guilty of this. I was pretty shocked the first time it happened.

Thankfully there's Autocomplete Editor

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
@ codeMonkey, Thanks for the tip, the autocomp edit worked like a charm. however, my passwords keep on reappearing, which is annoying...