Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm confused.

Brightness control is certainly accessible... do you mean to say that the range is ridiculously limited? I'd agree with that. I wouldn't call the designers idiots, though.
No, I -- and Sean Luke -- mean that, no matter how low you set the brightness of your screen, the N800 will dim it to a lower setting, one which you, the user, cannot access. Whoever designs such a thing is indeed an idiot.

Or, in other words, an Apple designer...

EDIT: several comments here, and in bug 965-- yet only 1 vote on each bug until I added mine. ???

Come on guys. A ***** without a vote is kinda wasted, isn't it?
Seeing as how Nokia apparently treats the corrupted-card bug, I wouldn't say that.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Or, in other words, an Apple designer...
Here's a tip for the Mac that lets you access a lower volume than "one bar" - a very similar problem.

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-t...ing-299057.php

I can understand the intent to make the UI simple to use by having a few fixed bars, but I agree that a lower darkest level would be good.

I suspect that for many people the IT is finding a home on the bedside table, for late-night ebook reading and early morning browsing.

Maybe one solution in FBreader is to change the background color. Perhaps a "nighttime" theme would be the solution for browsing, etc?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
can understand the intent to make the UI simple to use by having a few fixed bars, but I agree that a lower darkest level would be good.
The really really annoying part is that there is a lower darkest level; you just cannot set it as a user.

I suspect that for many people the IT is finding a home on the bedside table, for late-night ebook reading and early morning browsing.

Maybe one solution in FBreader is to change the background color. Perhaps a "nighttime" theme would be the solution for browsing, etc?
So he'd have to change background colours and themes several times a day?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
So he'd have to change background colours and themes several times a day?
Yes, I can't claim it's an idea solution, just trying to think around the problem.

Does anyone make tinted screen protectors ?

A pity that there isn't a way to quickly just switch to a second user account (with its own theme/FBReader settings, etc), but maybe parts of the system are hard-coded to expect user 'user'.

My old Clie Palm has a full-screen-width continuous slider for the screen brightness, but for some reason the newer one has just 4 settings.

Wonder if theres a way to hook the camera up to detect how much ambient light is around and dim the backlight accordingly. OK, well I can dream =)