Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Am I the only one that sees this as an actually good thing? I mean, they just added an API that could be tapped by this community to make even better apps surrounding the camera.
I'm afraid people are falling into the trap of expecting a specific announcement, and then discarding every news, no matter how cool or important that is not that one (in this case, a firmware upgrade or Flash 10). And it's not like we havent seen interesting things even in the last two days in the middle of a known Nokia holiday season. An interesting camera API ? A new, bug free(er) iteration of QtMobility that actually makes it usable ? The preview release of the Qt Web Runtime, a cornerstone tech bridging Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo ? I know it's never enough, but if anyone is setting oneself for unmet expectations, its ourselves - the goods are coming, even if not at the rate we would all like to see.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Exciting news!! ... This just reassured me that i want to get rid of this unsupported Phone... .. It is by Far the best smartphone i have ever owned... Shame On You NOKIA!!.. ur Best phone and u throw it away

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Dariu5 View Post

And it saves images to RAW (*.dng)
I am far from an expert o n camerastuff but developers should take a look att this API :-D

maybe this can be used for streaming films to in higher res so all whi9nners out there should atleast take a look at the API cause it looks like it replaces the closed kernel drivers? (not sure all is opened but looks promising atleast :-) Maybe we canb get higher res movies with this new API :-O

Cutt from FCam readme:

"CAM-DRIVERS

Description
-------------

FCam-drivers is a set of replacement kernel modules for the Nokia N900
camera subsystem, meant to be used in conjunction with the FCam
userspace camera API. These are all slightly modified from the
original code that is included in the kernel tree for the Nokia N900.
"

Nice.. installing the drivers and fcamera screwed up the app manager for some reason. I have dotted lines everywhere now and the internal camera fails to even open up. I should have just stuck to not trying it but was so tempted.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Kaunas, Lithuania
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
Nice.. installing the drivers and fcamera screwed up the app manager for some reason. I have dotted lines everywhere now and the internal camera fails to even open up. I should have just stuck to not trying it but was so tempted.
I had to remove Power kernel, because default camera app failed to start and Fcam showed grey image.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I am far from an expert o n camerastuff but developers should take a look att this API :-D

maybe this can be used for streaming films to in higher res so all whi9nners out there should atleast take a look at the API cause it looks like it replaces the closed kernel drivers? (not sure all is opened but looks promising atleast :-) Maybe we canb get higher res movies with this new API :-O

Cutt from FCam readme:

"CAM-DRIVERS

Description
-------------

FCam-drivers is a set of replacement kernel modules for the Nokia N900
camera subsystem, meant to be used in conjunction with the FCam
userspace camera API. These are all slightly modified from the
original code that is included in the kernel tree for the Nokia N900.
"
Maybe these new drivers will be the key to 720p video capture.......

Originally Posted by Dariu5 View Post
I had to remove Power kernel, because default camera app failed to start and Fcam showed grey image.
Thanks yea no I kinda figured that already. I am back to being stable after purging it. I don't want to remove Titans kernel, i will wait till he updates it if he does that is.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
Maybe these new drivers will be the key to 720p video capture.......
Or perhaps stutter-free 480p, let's take one step at a time!

The Following User Says Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Installed via Fapman, rebooted and launched. Very, very impressive concept and execution. This is precisely what Maemo and the N900 is about.

Now to delve into the guts of the thing. Thanks Nokia

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
will this improve image quality?
will it open the gates to 720p video recording? or at least to smooth SD-video recording?

Tags
announced, color you loser, fail!, guessed wrong, misstep, riddle me this, you dun goofed