Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
We need to go back to the days of manually extending the external antenna. One of the many things lost in the cosmetic revolution..
Uh... Hate to mention this, but on most devices, those antenna are fake. Cell antennas tend to be coiled, at a specific radius, and to a very specific length. I've owned several different varieties of phones over the years, and with the exception of the very early brick phones all of them with extendable antennas had a plastic antenna that was hollow.

I have at least two motorola phones (flip varieties) still around that have the extendable plastic bit that looks like an antenna on it. The real antenna is in the core/cap, coiled around the hole where the plastic bit slides up and down. I actually took a pair of needle nose pliers and clipped the antenna off to show a friend of mine that it was 100% plastic. Nothing conductive at all in there, purely cosmetic.

Worse, in most of those early designs, the coils were near the top, near the fake antenna. Meaning it was right next to your head...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Ah, thanks for the info. Didn't know that on most of the devices they are fake.Makes me wonder what's the point in making fake extendable antenna..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Ah, thanks for the info. Didn't know that on most of the devices they are fake.Makes me wonder what's the point in making fake extendable antenna..
The point is that people firmly in the extendable > internal crowd will buy your phone -- if you leave off the phony antenna, they'll buy somebody else's.

(I hadn't known they were fake either, but upon reflection it makes perfect sense to me.)

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
yes in some imaginary world. if you'd know how stock markets function, you would not claim such things.
Yeah, you're right. Jobs is only worth 5.5 Billion, so he can't just buy Nokia outright.

He'd definitely need to take out a loan...

The Following User Says Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by techngro View Post
Yeah, you're right. Jobs is only worth 5.5 Billion, so he can't just buy Nokia outright.

He'd definitely need to take out a loan...
Doesn't work that way in real life. This reminds me of the arguments a while back that Microsoft could just buy Nintendo.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Uh... Hate to mention this, but on most devices, those antenna are fake. Cell antennas tend to be coiled, at a specific radius, and to a very specific length. I've owned several different varieties of phones over the years, and with the exception of the very early brick phones all of them with extendable antennas had a plastic antenna that was hollow.

I have at least two motorola phones (flip varieties) still around that have the extendable plastic bit that looks like an antenna on it. The real antenna is in the core/cap, coiled around the hole where the plastic bit slides up and down. I actually took a pair of needle nose pliers and clipped the antenna off to show a friend of mine that it was 100% plastic. Nothing conductive at all in there, purely cosmetic.

Worse, in most of those early designs, the coils were near the top, near the fake antenna. Meaning it was right next to your head...
That might be the case lately just before all have gone to internal antenna design... But my first phone (Mobira CItyman 5000) I purchased in 1994 had this kind of extended antenna. It worked properly only in two positions (fully in or fully extended). On those positions there was a metal collar making snug fit to the antenna base . If I hold the antenna in the "middle" where the antenna wasn't making proper contact, I quickly lost many bars or dropped connection completely. The top (stub) end had this coil that you mention. I think its purpose is to extend the antenna electrical length to quarter wave... (It was 900MHz phone)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Why don't they prioritze love? We could all live in harmony with a device that radiated love .

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post

Wasteman

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post

Nokia owning symbian, due to the lack of apps on the n900, nokia should release a Symbian emulator for us to run some of the great symbian apps available. If they cannot create an emulator then maybe they should release the symbian source code for the community to come up with something, then we could share the symbian success on the n900, as well as everything else.
This is the most constructive idea that has ever come of these rant threads. Is there actually a way to do it? I wish I still wrote software!

Fred

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Who the hell TRULY understands how the stock market works? Certainly not anybody on Wall Street.

"The way to make a small fortune in the stock market is to first begin with a large one."
you just went thousand miles off the track. and you are so wrong that you can't even have a clue... it is shame that people criticizing wall street people are the ones who don't even bother read up on what stocks really are etc..

but lets start with basics: share price is a price the deals are made currently with relatively small quantities. if Jobs has more cash than nokias share price multiplied by amount of shares, he can't get all the shares. that is because when you buy shares in large quantities, prices go up (demand becomes higher). usually when trying to get all the shares, you have to pay a premium. the higher the premium, the bigger the probability that you will succeed. but I'll say that with nokia it would have to be something like 200-500% to even look a bit realistic.

If I'd own nokias stock, Jobs would have to pay me about 500% premium for it.... if he don't, he doesn't really want it.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
nokia cares