Active Topics

Hi, is there a way in order to have access both to memory card and N900 from windows xp?
If I connect to the phone (with USB) in mass storage mode I can access just to memory card.
If I connect in PC suite mode, I can access only to the phone, but not to the memory card.
What I would actually would like is to have access to both in mass storage mode.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You should have access to both in mass storage mode - they show up as separate drives here on XP. Make sure that the N900 isn't reporting any errors after you select mass storage mode - if it's unable to unmount the drive then it'll present an error message. Also check that it's not just failed to map a drive letter in XP (right-click on My Computer and choose Manage, then select Disk Management from the tree).

Hi, I have 2 pc with windows XP (one Home and the other Pro): in both of them 2 icons appears for the 2 (removable) disks. But if I click on the icon of the memory card I can have access, on the other icon (the one of n900) no.
On the contrary I tried in a pc with Vista and there I can access on both the drives.
But in xp is not possible for me.
Anyone else experienced that and could suggest me a solution?

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Any further discussion on this?
I haven't tried to access my phones storage via mass storage though did notice it doesn't show in the windows explorer, using windows xp. I figured if anything it was assigned a drive that was already in use. I have since realised it doesn't show at home either and that's windows 7. Haven't noticed any issues, warnings etc show up. Not sure how to address this, advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Stephen

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
if you have app running which use the mass storage(like IM)then windows shows you only your sd card(btw the ps3 makes that too.be sure that you have every app closed that may use your mass storage before you plug usb in.

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Any further discussion on this?
I haven't tried to access my phones storage via mass storage though did notice it doesn't show in the windows explorer, using windows xp. I figured if anything it was assigned a drive that was already in use. I have since realised it doesn't show at home either and that's windows 7. Haven't noticed any issues, warnings etc show up. Not sure how to address this, advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Stephen
does it have a drive letter?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
I used to see both drives when I connect in mass storage mode, but now I get the error message that the internal memory is in use, though I have no apps running at all.

Could something run in the background without me seeing it?
Is there a "task manager" that shows stuff that is not visible in the normal "running programs"-window?

•Fairly new to the N900.
•Wants to learn to develop when I have the time.
•Used to write Basic 2.0 on the C64 back in 1990.

Favourite app: Feedingit

I used to have this problem but then I connected it via a different usb port and that appeared to solve it. It might be worth giving it a try.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I used to see both drives when I connect in mass storage mode, but now I get the error message that the internal memory is in use, though I have no apps running at all.

Could something run in the background without me seeing it?
Is there a "task manager" that shows stuff that is not visible in the normal "running programs"-window?
open terminal, write "ps aux" and press enter.

there are all the processes open so yes, it is probably some app that uses the internal partition and doesnt allow unmounting it
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
open terminal, write "ps aux" and press enter.
S**t, the list is obviously long. I downloaded the PC Suite for now and was able to access the internal memory through that, so I don't really need to go through all the running processes.

But the list made me wonder? Is it normal that for example the picture viewer is running although no application (expect terminal) is open?

•Fairly new to the N900.
•Wants to learn to develop when I have the time.
•Used to write Basic 2.0 on the C64 back in 1990.

Favourite app: Feedingit