Active Topics

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
FWIW to all the experimenters out here. Here's what I did as a small exercise today to try enable Adobe Flash 10.1 on Maemo 5.

Installed chromium.

Inside /opt/chromium created a directory plugins.
copied the libflashplayer.so from nitdroid project site

executed /opt/chromium/chrome www.youtube.com

On the terminal I could see that chrome with the new libflashplayer.so wanted libc.so

So I copied all the *.so files from Nitdroid 2.1 '/lib' directory to '/lib' on N900

Then fired chrome browser again .

This time it crashed with 'Segmentation fault' error.

Does it not work because Android browser is built on webkit, while chromium and microb are slightly different?

Last edited by noipv4; 2010-07-27 at 07:42.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Actually the reason is that you probably are missing a bundle of symbols/libs to get it working. Most of the porting work will probably be more in the UI layers rather then the browser API. (Android doesn't use X but their own layer on top of the framebuffer).

Sorry, I am not a programmer. But still I would like to ask what makes so difficult to port flash as respect to write the other programs. Is really necessary to wait for Nokia to do it (I think Nokia will not do it...)?
Nobody here is able to spend a couple of days and do that?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Toulouse
Originally Posted by Patroclo View Post
Sorry, I am not a programmer. But still I would like to ask what makes so difficult to port flash as respect to write the other programs. Is really necessary to wait for Nokia to do it (I think Nokia will not do it...)?
Nobody here is able to spend a couple of days and do that?
Well, reason number one is, that flash is not open source. So you cannot just take the source code and adopt it to run under the n900.

One possiblity is to use the version shipped on android and write an android compatibility layer on the n900. I guess that this could necessitate a huge (reverse engineering & coding) effort.

"Other" programs have been rewritten from scratch for maemo or are available as open source.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dominik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Can't someone write a plugin for micob to make websites think that we have flash 10?

Since everyone is upgrading their requirements without adding new features, the vids would still run with flash 9.4, so we only need websites to think we have flash 10..at least for now..

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Can't someone write a plugin for micob to make websites think that we have flash 10?

Since everyone is upgrading their requirements without adding new features, the vids would still run with flash 9.4, so we only need websites to think we have flash 10..at least for now..
shouldn't the modifications to be done to flash itself in order to change the version info?

so only way would be a dummy flash that introduces itself (and replaces) flash plugin and runs old flash within. could be pretty hard thing to do...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
shouldn't the modifications to be done to flash itself in order to change the version info?

so only way would be a dummy flash that introduces itself (and replaces) flash plugin and runs old flash within. could be pretty hard thing to do...
The microb flash player plugin is usually stored at this location:

Code:
/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
With the default plugin, if you go to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html, the version is reported as LNX 9,0,260,0.

The version information is stored in two places within that file, one of them at offset 5B3D24 and the other at offset 5CA71C, so just by using a hex editor and modifying that information, you can fool the server as if the plugin version was 10.1. If course, if the server wants to use some newer capability not supported by version 9.0, it will fail.

With the modified plugin, if you go to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html, the version is now reported as LNX 10,1,53,0.

Anyway, in case someone wants to give it a try, just replace your libflashplayer.so (make a copy of the original!) with this one:

http://rapidshare.com/files/40938918...r10_1_53_0.rar

Note: I guess some sites may serve different content based on the plugin version they are detecting. Therefore, sites that worked fine with the default version will probably fail with the modifed version now. Youtube seems to be an example of that: I can't hear any sounds with the modifed version and some videos are notably choppy.

Edit: I have created a new version that reports itself as v10.0.53 and that seems to work fine with Youtube. It is available here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/40940659...yer10_0_53.rar

Greetings.

Last edited by kevloral; 2010-07-27 at 15:36.

The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I am not sure if sharing the actual file is legal but thanks for the information
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

where is libflash located??

CasTTeLLo

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by CasTTeLLo View Post
where is libflash located??
It is stored here:

/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I already updated my original message adding that information.

Greetings.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update