Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
wtf does water damage or cracked screen or dropped phone/physical damage or what ever have to do with the freaking usb port becoming loose because of the design of the charger? that is some BS and nokia ought to be ashamed. there needfs to be a class action lawsuit or something cause this is rediculous
I've said it before about something ELSE, completely unrelated, but it seems worth repeating here for many, many reasons: "I'm increasingly glad I didn't purchased an N900." :P I loved the N800 hardware, but I think the N900 is Nokia's first paragraph to a sad suicide note given the way they've treated customers even back in the N800 days when it was new, and the similar awful way Nokia's treating customers that purchased the N900.

Nokia has pretty much abused the customer and chortled as you come back and buy more. I, for one, got pretty fed up after two or three issues where I would have even been willing to PAY for parts/support but not willing to be insulted and abused over it (like trying to sell me a replacement product for MUCH more than the sale price it's normally going for).

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-10 at 09:17.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Newport, Wales
The cable is a tight fit with the port, prolly the reason why people break their USB, but i found that the best way to insert the cable is to insert it with an angle, like 15 degrees down, then put it in, this way you dun put any stress on the usb port.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
And poof ...my USB port is no more. I live in Canada which means that it won't get repaired by Nokia.

If the port actually fully detatches and comes out with the charger, as mine did, is it fixable?

And should it be covered by warranty?

My Nokia 'Care' Centre says that it counts as physical damage and isn't covered...but seeing as it's a common fault with the device, surely it should be?

Cheers.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Edit: Okay, the threads got merged, so this post is useless.

As explained here it should be covered by the warranty. It's a mistake by design. The port is only soldered. Not attached in any other way.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-07-30 at 09:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Summary:
Nokia said it's covered under warranty.
Nokia fails at connecting people, specifically fail at emailing/smsing/calling/faxing/whatever their repair centres, so they do whatever pisses you off the most, and you need to be persistent.

The big thread linked above by Helmuth is a better place to continue this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to mipo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I highly recommend against self repair if you're still under warranty. Pester Nokia until they replace.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh, Mandor, no!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Broken USB Port" (5 posts) has been merged into this thread.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Nokia fails at connecting people...
Nah, they brought everyone together:

The big thread [here] is a better place to continue this thread.
*duck* *run*

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty