Notices

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Your question was already answered in this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
I am very sorry I didn't understand that that was just being discussed a few post ago. But I'm happy that a solution exists indeed!

Is anyone using that xserver-xorg-input-joystick with Accelemymote succesfully?

Could someone post a way to have this xserver-xorg-input-joystick work with Accelemymote? What to do exactly with ".fid" files?

Is that package to be installed via apt-get?

Thanks,
G_Gus

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Hey there, installed the gui from the app manager, but does not work - looks like it's working then shuts down. I've yet to upgraqde to pr1.2, is this the problem?
Probably, yes. It's a Qt app so it's built against 4.6 in PR1.2.

It's finally in Extras. Thanks to everyone who tested.

Next version will stop polling by default when the screen is locked.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Something just occurred to me and I thought I'd jump on here and see what you think of it.

As is, the accelemymote joystick works being pushed 'harder' the more its tilted. How hard would it be to make it the longer its held in a direction the hard its pushed? This'd work really well for menus... and also to enable nudge style steering/movement in games. May not work for all games... but I'd love to see if it were at all practical.

Something like a second to reach full tilt and then straight back to 0 when origin is reached.

I find that no matter how much effort I put into modifying config I always end up over/understeering in games.

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Something just occurred to me and I thought I'd jump on here and see what you think of it.

As is, the accelemymote joystick works being pushed 'harder' the more its tilted. How hard would it be to make it the longer its held in a direction the hard its pushed? This'd work really well for menus... and also to enable nudge style steering/movement in games. May not work for all games... but I'd love to see if it were at all practical.

Something like a second to reach full tilt and then straight back to 0 when origin is reached.

I find that no matter how much effort I put into modifying config I always end up over/understeering in games.
It is touchy, isn't it? I thought the problem was that most joystick games i've tried are digital rather than analogy. If not, maybe it's a bug. In a truly analog game, i'd expect the deadzone to do nothing, and a slightly higher tilt to gradually turn. Did you try messing with the threshold, such as reducing it to 0?

An "acceleration" could be implemented, but i have my doubts it would get around the problem unless... maybe it would work to have a pseudo-analog mode that would oscillate the joystick events between neutral and tilt at a ratio based on the desired amplitude.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
This would be extra cool as a mouse emulator in debian or anywhere really

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
This would be extra cool as a mouse emulator in debian or anywhere really
yeah......... no.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It is touchy, isn't it? I thought the problem was that most joystick games i've tried are digital rather than analogy. If not, maybe it's a bug. In a truly analog game, i'd expect the deadzone to do nothing, and a slightly higher tilt to gradually turn. Did you try messing with the threshold, such as reducing it to 0?

An "acceleration" could be implemented, but i have my doubts it would get around the problem unless... maybe it would work to have a pseudo-analog mode that would oscillate the joystick events between neutral and tilt at a ratio based on the desired amplitude.
Certainly sounds like something to experiment with when you get bored :P I've absolutely no idea of the success it'd create... but it can't hurt to screw around.

To be honest I haven't played the accelerometer excessively, perhaps it takes a few hours to truly get use to it? Also I can't recall if I changed threshold or not.

Is it possibly to use it for looking, not for moving in Quake 2?

Originally Posted by Kanyka View Post
Is it possibly to use it for looking, not for moving in Quake 2?
I'm not that familiar with the control schema in Q2. If the inputs are fully mappable you could make joystick axes be look instead of move. If anyone does this kind of thing in any of the games available on N900, please post your results here for others to benefit from.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:

Tags
accelerometer, analog input, game controls, joystick, menu selection, mouse please, tilt