Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I agree. It seems like the whole Maemo development from the start and up to MeeGo is a series of random decisions with no strategic goal, starting from scratch each time.
You think so? You've been here a while but maybe you missed some of the discussion in early 2009. Here's basically how everything went and is going:
  • Maemo 4: Stylus UI based on GTK with no graphic hardware acceleration support
  • Maemo 5: Finger friendly UI based on GTK with graphic hardware acceleration support and cell phone radio support
  • MeeGo (Harmattan/Maemo 6): Multi-touch UI based on Qt; eventually Symbian compatible at middleware and/or application level.
It's an evolution with clear purpose.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
3. Cut the number of models. Be more stringent in the design phase and output less...
Seems to me this is already happening. (edit, at least the output less part)

On topic: Probably someone said this already, but I'd rather see their offer before deciding. If they get their MeeGo act together, I'm interested.

However, I refuse to consider buying a Symbian phone until they can get Mr. Jobs to queue for it on the release day.

The Following User Says Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
currently have a maemo nokia n900 and enjoying it.....well yes! next will be meego! if its not as big as the Dell Streak

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
currently have a maemo nokia n900 and enjoying it.....well yes! next will be meego! if its not as big as the Dell Streak

i agree, you'd have to be Andre the f'n Giant to hold it comfortably. The N900 is perfect size.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I wouldn't count on it. Android will be more and more fragmented, and the "default" Android will be more and more unusable and dated, lacking all the goodies that makes the OS nice. Android is the new "old" Symbian and eventually stand alone general UIs will emerge that are incompatible with each other. Android will become very good from some vendors, but awkward from others just like everything else.
Android 3 is making Android less fragmented. No more overlay UI's (but HTC seems to be doing it anyways somehow), but they have more streamlined rules to be able to use it and minimum hardware requirements for gingerbread. Only high end phones with 1ghz will be getting it (and a certain amount of ram that all the 1ghz phones have)
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

The Following User Says Thank You to Mgamerz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
While me too I am disappointed by Nokia's lack of continuity, I wouldn't say I won't buy another Nokia ever again. My primary requirement is a mobile computer. I don't care much about the phone functionality - that's the easy part. What I want is a device for grown-ups (not teenagers)
  • A display which is readable in bright sunlight
  • A hardware heyboard
  • Several days of battery life with moderate usage
  • An open system, where I can become root (preferably linux)
  • A handful (not millions!) of good applications, especially PIM applications
From that list my n810 gets 3.5 out of five points. PIM applications are the problem, but I am switching to emacs org-mode now, which should solve that too. And the system is not as open as it should be.

If some manufacturer can supply such a device I will buy it. But AFAICS all those Android devices and the iPhone do not deliver.

The Following User Says Thank You to drautzburg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You think so? You've been here a while but maybe you missed some of the discussion in early 2009. Here's basically how everything went and is going:
  • Maemo 5: Finger friendly UI based on GTK with graphic hardware acceleration support and cell phone radio support
  • MeeGo (Harmattan/Maemo 6): Multi-touch UI based on Qt; eventually Symbian compatible at middleware and/or application level.
It's evolution for Nokia, not for customer.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If a platform is to be successful it need stability and some form of backward compatibility.
Apple understand this, microsoft understand this and as a result enjoy a healthy collection of applications.
If maemo kept some kind of backwards compatibility Nokia would be in a better position to compete. MeeGo will need to be binary compatible to allow maemo apps to run on it and judging by Nokia's past experience this will not be the case. Especially the current state of MeeGo on the N900.

If this was evolution then maemo would have remained and Nokia would have kept improving it. But Nokia haven't done this and have now reset their progress to the beginning.

I am waiting for the Meego Tablet rather than a phone.

No, I will not buy another Meego Phone (as I know it will still have rough edges just like Maemo). Instead, since I already have a phone (N900), I would rather wait for the Meego Tablet - as I need a tablet like device more for regular use alongside my existing phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Most probably yes, will see what the N9 will bring (Dual Core CPU, 4" screen cap. screen and other highlights).
Hope Meego will not stuttering like the N900 quite often and improve some negative points on the N900 (a few very annoing can be easily be fixed probably) but keep the good ones.

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!