Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Then again, even with the GPL infringement, as long as there is no distribution of the binary, they're not forced to release the modifications.
Which might well be the whole point about (not) releasing it. :-S
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Forgive my ignorance here in all of this

But is it not possible for anyone to make an N900 interface and get Backtrack Mobile up and running (barring the packet injection side of things)

Backtrack has been available for quite a long time

So is there anything stopping someone else doing what Neo has been trying to do, or has he been doing something so unique that no one else will be able to do if Neo decides to completly abandon the project or take a lot longer than orginally stated (end of July)

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Spain
[QUOTE=CrashandDie;768902]Maybe you can assure us that it works, but then again, we only have your word for it. And in these troubled times, and taken into account the fact you have no reputation to speak of, your word is moot.
/QUOTE]

Even as much as I share with you the same feelings of dissapoinment about all this matter, I have to disagree with that comment... if lxp doesn't have a reputation in this precise subject who has?

It was after reading his blog and watching the progress made with monitor mode and after that with channel switching when I made the decision to buy an N900. And it is his blog that I have been checking every now and then hoping for any news about packet injection.

It's not lxp who made any promise/announcements about packet injection.

For me, it is enough assurance that it has been achieved.

Of course I would love to see it myself and that everyone can benefit from the achievement... but now I am pretty confident that it is just a matter of (not much) time and I can wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to appnss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lxp View Post
I can prove you 100% that packet injection is working with wl1251. You may know that I have developed the monitor mode patches for wl1251. Some time ago Neopwn asked me to develop packet injection patches for Backtrack Mobile, which I have done at least of my knowledge successfully. There may be some testing and cleanup needed, but the basics are working pretty well.
My current intention is to get a full-featured upstream wl1251 driver in the linux kernel, so compat-wireless can be used as full replacement. Currently it lacks some features which are included in the Maemo Fremantle version.
I also want to note that I am currently not in the position to give anyone access to the packet injection capable driver, because I developed it exclusively for Neopwn.
Furthermore I have recently talked to Neopwn and he is currently working to reorganize the project so he can accept contributions, but that will need some time.
If you're telling me the driver exists and is working, lxp, then Im content with that.

I can understand why you would not want to release it early as the value of the Neopwn project is linked directly to this driver, because that is the nut which has not been cracked by anyone else yet. I hope Neopwn gets his stuff together and the project moves on soon, I'll be sure to chuck a few dollars his way too

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Forgive my ignorance here in all of this

But is it not possible for anyone to make an N900 interface and get Backtrack Mobile up and running (barring the packet injection side of things)

Backtrack has been available for quite a long time

So is there anything stopping someone else doing what Neo has been trying to do, or has he been doing something so unique that no one else will be able to do if Neo decides to completly abandon the project or take a lot longer than orginally stated (end of July)
There's nothing stopping someone else doing it or "so unique" about this project except that:

1- It is *A LOT OF WORK* to port all the bunch of apps included in BT... Not to mention all the testing necessary after porting.

Some are pretty much straight forward, in fact many haven't been (publicly) ported for the only reason that noone has even tried to. Others will need just a little work, and also optifiying unless they are meant to be run inside a chroot'ed environment.

In fact, for this project, a chroot, better if inside a truecrypt volume would be the wiser approach to lesser cross contamination with the underlaying os (almost a requirement for forensics work). Probably even better a readonly image for integrity +UnionFS+ rw truecrypt volume. If it is a debian chroot, also the porting of apps will be *MUCH* LESS.

And finally some other apps will be a PITA to port if not require a full redesign.

No matter how good NeoPwn is, or how many time he is willing to spend in that: This is not a single man task. BT wasn't a single man task and needed many user support and years to reach current state even if it was more a job of integration as porting was unneeded.

The only advantage here is that the design, list of tools, etc is mostly done in BT, and that multiple hardware support is unnecesary.

If NeoPwn has already spent some good time in doing this task, that would be the first, well deserved, "unique" advantage he has.

2- Main GUI/Lancher/Integration is where the real "art" is. This may be a one single person task, and in fact it is preferrable for consistency (of course feedback + some help is assumed to be needed). This is also the part that could be perfectly made commercial or include premium paid features, or whatever. It is the "heart" of the whole project or the most "unique" component if you prefer.

3- The kernel module or kernel with patched wifi driver capable of packet injection: While unrelated to the vast majority of BT tools it is usually considered one of the most wanted features. At this time, its also a unique advantage of NeoPwn as the driver isn't available for N900 yet. Considering lxp was the only one KNOWN to be working on it, it can be a "unique" advantage for a while.

NeoPwn is perfectly right in using that advantage at least until the initial launch, even more if he has paid or offered any compensation for that job to be done.

But it is only a temporary advantage for several reasons:

1- Probably the intention is already to make it public when it is considered to be ready for public release. In fact, lxp has said something about that... but lets not take anything for granted.

2- Once it is feasible, it is just a matter of time that anyone else will develop another one.

3- Unless the driver is not based on already gpl'ed sources any kind of public redistribution should include or have its sources available.

4- Even if proprietary and in binary form, and whatever the protection used (if any) it will be eventually circumvented. <- Being ilegal doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

5- If the full project as a whole doesn't prove good in itself, the driver won't change that, and if it is, it won't need that advantage anymore.

In conclusion... it will be a matter of time that N900 has a public packet injection capable driver, more security tools and apps ported, and probably even some sort of integration/launchers are made... *BUT* it will be MUCH SOONER and probably MUCH BETTER if NeoPwn manages to reorganize his stuff and continues with this project.

The Following User Says Thank You to appnss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ nntp.pl
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
I'm also done with this thread.

You are some of the most daft people I have ever encountered. You want it all, and don't want to put any effort in. Simply based on the shite community in THIS thread, I'm glad that the project is in a stalemate position. I hope some of you never get access to it.

Having said that, it will come out, and when it does you will all tuck your tails and walk away.
then tell me how can I contribute to the project?

oh ... I can't because there's nothing released/public yet. all I see is a whiny blog about no one contributes without any possibility to contribute at all.

neopwn may be many things but it is not open.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sexpapst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
"Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far, You're gonna fly high, You're never gonna die, You're gonna make it if you try; They're gonna love you........ "

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by inidrog View Post
"Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far, You're gonna fly high, You're never gonna die, You're gonna make it if you try; They're gonna love you........ "
Can I be Pink?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ behind your firewall
looks like the beta (private) is ready for pre-0rders, www.neopwn.com , i ordered mine, so keep the good job guys

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to percypogi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Originally Posted by percypogi View Post
looks like the beta (private) is ready for pre-0rders, www.neopwn.com , i ordered mine, so keep the good job guys
Which gb did you order?