Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Very true this. Except the denial part. You see, I know I got shafted (by Nokia dumping Maemo), but for me even that is not reason enough to opt for the second best product.
In terms of an open-core OS with the most apps and with more usefulness to more people (yes, even scripting.. yes even with Python/Perl/shell/etc), you can't claim the N900 relegates the Android to second best. Clearly, more software, languages and utilities are available.

N900 has been relegated to second-class behind Android because it dropped to being only 43% opened (seems to be on-par with Android) but has far fewer useful applications.

Sorry but--I didn't settle for second-best. I avoided it after learning from my N800 experiences with Nokia. I just hope that someday I can actually have a *REAL* Linux computer in my pocket running a fully (or at least VERY, VERY) open operating system. Until then, Nokia's products haven't got any tangible advantage to consumers and hackers alike.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Puerto Rico
There's no need to flame about how much of knowing in "Hacking Expertise" or 101.

I'd be more wisely spreading the knowledge, than barking who's better?

Btw- no disrespect
http://j0hnmcclane.deviantart.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to John McClane For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Pardon the terminology, as my "hacking", as you have so eloquently demonstrated, does not rise to the level of proper "hacking". I must've misplaced the sentence identifying myself as a newbie in my first post. My apologies.

I also understand that your life revolves around an operating system. Thus you are an expert on it. I have a life, and in fact, an exciting career, outside an operating system. Thus I am not an expert on Debian, Maemo, Windows nor any other OS modern devices operate on. But I enjoy the learning experiences the N900 and the Maemo community provide.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience with the iPhone. And in the meanwhile, you can "school" the iOS3/4 community of the flaws you may find in the Apple products.

Thanks again for your contribution to Maemo.
"I also understand that your life revolves around an operating system. Thus you are an expert on it. I have a life, and in fact, an exciting career, outside an operating system. Thus I am not an expert on Debian, Maemo, Windows nor any other OS modern devices operate on. But I enjoy the learning experiences the N900 and the Maemo community provide."

so why tell lies you enjoy hacking the n900 ????????????

"Thus I am not an expert on Debian, Maemo, Windows nor any other OS modern devices operate on."

so why tell lies you enjoy hacking the n900 ????????????

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sad to see you go, sucks that you got banned for pointing out that the N900 was being put on discount and I know that you'll get flamed for standing up for what you believe in.

Honestly, I see this group fractured into the pre-N900 release and those people loved Maemo to post-N900 release and those people loved the device.

I for one... am for Maemo. MeeGo will have to convince me. Maemo didn't have to. To steal a phrase from Steve Jobs... "it just worked" for me as I wanted it to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
@ gerbick

Off topic, i know...but have you finally decided to get yourself a N900?
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
it was a joke, but if you want to get sematic

time distance and gravity are all related my friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

a light year is *also* a measurement of time................
Actually no, bluntly put time is a spacial dimension, therefore a lightyear is a distance
Or just v= s/t therefore vt = s

So long and thanks for all the fish

The Following User Says Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
For me it's a very simple question. I don't think there is another device that comes close to the N900 for me.

1. It takes breathtaking photos. Video could be better though. Just take a look at maximuscool's thread.
2. It has a wonderful hardware keyboard. No other device has this. I require tactile feedback. I hate on screen keyboards.
3. It has a resistive touch screen with pressure sensitivity. Multi touch would be nice..but I would miss the stylus a lot, especially for drawing. What other current device can use MyPaint like the N900?
4. It has some good potential. PSX and N64 are a stone throw away from being perfect. It has support for bluetooth controllers. Froyo is being developed for it. Meego may come to it. USB OTG should be coming. Browsing is great. I am posting from it right now. There is a workaround for flash with the chance of being ported from Harmattan in the future. And much more. So for me, the device is exciting.
5. Not to mention all the other hardware like FM Transmitter, Infrared, 32GB of storage + support for 16GB (possibly 32GB more), 3.5" screen with a great resolution.
6. The way most movies are supported just by copying them, and they look great. The kickstand may be small, but hey it's there.
7. It is a pure linux device, not running a virtual machine like android. Native linus applications can be used well and I have read stories of Linux Admins doing wonders with this phone.

I agree with this device replacing a desktop/laptop. This device is perfect in my opinion. The greatest disadvantage is Nokia's lack of support for the device. Sure it has its shortcomings, like lack of games but the pros greatly outclass the cons. At least for me.

This device is a pleasure to use. All the hacks and fun with it one can have...

So I'm sorry you were disappointed by it. I just can't understand how other devices will be better. This is only my opinion though.
I actually agree with only SOME of what you said.

I only somewhat agree entirely with points 1 and 2. I think the photos it takes are pretty good--but I've seen "breathaking photos" from other cell phones as well. You give it far too much credit, but I understand you're biased as an owner. I would LIKE a good keyboard, but if it'll make it far more lightweight and make room for some other, more useful electronics, I'd rather do without the keyboard. I rather like onscreen keyboards, though. I loved the N800's onscreen keyboard just fine.

I entirely agree with point 3.

4 is invalid. Potential means nothing to me anymore. If nothing else has taught me that, it's the undelivered potential of Nokia's previous devices.

5 is arguable and clearly already matched or far better on current devices by competing manufacturers. They're definitely getting better USE out of them on competitor's products.

I somewhat agree with point 6, although I use a Go-Go Stand on my Motorola Droid. Goes everywhere I do, but it would be NICE if the device had one. I'm not sure that I'd rather have a flimsy stand over no stand at all. At least I can cheaply replace my Go-Go Stand and not even have to mail back my phone, I'm sure you can't say the same thing.

I agree with point 7, except I've seen Linux Admins do wonders with the Android devices as well. In fact, I'm one of these admins and I use it often to do everything from ssh into routers and servers, all the way to use it to remote-control VLC and run VNC through ssh to securely control the display (Xvnc in X) on a remote desktop. I'm just not sure I understand the advantage you're giving to the N900 in this regard. The fact that apps run in a VM is the only thing I can agree to being a detriment, but it does open up other advantages--especially across devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I was very sad to see this forum drown with n900 users, most of them didn't care about linux. All they wanted was a smartphone. Now I am very happy to see natural selection taking its course. Those that don't know how to maintain a linux system are starting to leave. Good.
To the OP:
You know sooo much about computers and your highly technical review of the issues you have found is "buggy, very buggy OS" and "can't communicate with iDrive".
Some hacker you are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giladmttw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
There's no need to flame about how much of knowing in "Hacking Expertise" or 101.

I'd be more wisely spreading the knowledge, than barking who's better?

Btw- no disrespect
No disrespect, but.. anybody that says, "No disrespect" is probably disrespecting. No disrespect, mind you.

Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
I was very sad to see this forum drown with n900 users, most of them didn't care about linux. All they wanted was a smartphone. Now I am very happy to see natural selection taking its course. Those that don't know how to maintain a linux system are starting to leave. Good.
To the OP:
You know sooo much about computers and your highly technical review of the issues you have found is "buggy, very buggy OS" and "can't communicate with iDrive".
Some hacker you are.
Actually, I didn't mind it so much except that it drowned out all of us N8x0 owners out of content and discussions that we might have wanted to see. More tragic, more and more people were becoming less and less tolerant for other opinions and the previously jokey back-and-forthing became a lot less jovial. That's the bigger tragedy, I think. It made things less and less fun, even when you didn't agree.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-30 at 20:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
In terms of an open-core OS with the most apps and with more usefulness to more people (yes, even scripting.. yes even with Python/Perl/shell/etc), you can't claim the N900 relegates the Android to second best. Clearly, more software, languages and utilities are available.

N900 has been relegated to second-class behind Android because it dropped to being only 43% opened (seems to be on-par with Android) but has far fewer useful applications.

Sorry but--I didn't settle for second-best. I avoided it after learning from my N800 experiences with Nokia. I just hope that someday I can actually have a *REAL* Linux computer in my pocket running a fully (or at least VERY, VERY) open operating system. Until then, Nokia's products haven't got any tangible advantage to consumers and hackers alike.

"Sorry but--I didn't settle for second-best. I avoided it after learning from my N800 experiences with Nokia. I just hope that someday I can actually have a *REAL* Linux computer in my pocket running a fully (or at least VERY, VERY) open operating system. Until then, Nokia's products haven't got any tangible advantage to consumers and hackers alike."

Nice Comment man !

"a *REAL* Linux computer in my pocket"

thats why i bought my n900, I had a DREAM of a FULL Linux computer in my pocket,....but....................

If Nokia had a *shred* of decency at this stage it wouldn't just cut loose the n900 owners as it has done, it would thow them the life ring of OPENING UP ITS DRIVERS THEN we could have REAL linux in our pocket ....after all thats the dream Nokia MIS-SOLD me......again I have to laugh at all the "hackers" and people who enjoys the n900's "freedom" on here..........

But Nokia, driven by the suits and bean counters will give *NOTHING* to the LOYAL nokia fans who bought the n900, I bought every Nokia "uber phone" in the last 12 years, the n900 is my last however ( I owned Every Nokia Communicator series.....yes the foldable greyscale brick in your pocket with the extendable Aeriel !!!).

Closed Thread

Tags
entertainment, new isheep, nokia otaku, oh no dont go, outrage, popcorn time, see ya dork, shark week, trololol, what a dick